Beltran vs. Abreu?? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Beltran vs. Abreu??

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby GucciBaseballs » Sun Jun 20, 2004 1:01 pm

LBJackal wrote:
FatGuyWithAMullet wrote:Why are people so obsessed with Beltran? He is so overrated.

People keep talking about "Oh he could go 40-40!", guess what...he's never even gone 30-30 and he ain't getting any younger.

Beltran puts up basically the same numbers as Andruw Jones only Beltran steals 30+ a season.

BELTRAN IS OVERRATED! :~(

Beltran will hit around 290+, Andruw will hit around 270. Beltran will get about 40 more SB's. Beltran will get about 20 more RBI and 20 more R. How you can begin to compare them is beyond me...........

Abreu and Beltran is a good comparison. Abreu has been around a bit longer and fantasy owners thought they'd seen everything he can do, and was not going to improve. He's had 20 HR each of the past 2 seasons. He's now on pace for 38. That's why Abreu is being overlooked. He'll probably end with about 25-30 HR's, and I'd guess about 30 SB's. That's pretty good, but Beltran will probably match him in HR and steal 20 more bases. Abreu should have a little higher BA, and depending where Beltran is traded too, R and RBI will be close between them.

And Spiegs, what makes you say Beltran is a .270 hitter? His career he batted .287 and this year he's batting .281 even though he's slumped for a while. You can pretty much assume Abreu will hit .300, but Beltran could be anywhere from .290-.310 IMO.

They are both comparable players, but were thought of differently coming into this year mainly because Abreu had a down year last year, and Beltran had a great season.

From this point on I would take Beltran though.

Abreu = higher avg, slightly more homeruns
Beltran = probably about 20 more sbs

Beltran has never proven that he can hit for the power and average that Abreu has demonstrated consistently. That being said players will have spikes in their in their numbers, but Abreu is simply regressing to his career averages (his numbers are slightly inflated at this point) while Beltran needs to bring his power and average game to a whole new level.

Beltran is however a second half player, and since I only see Abreu's average and homeruns being slightly over Beltrans, the sbs compensate for the difference. Additionally since both players will probably have close numbers at the end of the season, that would mean Beltran needs to put up better numbers than Abreu from here on out.
"I am ready to meet my Maker. Whether my Maker is prepared for the great ordeal of meeting me is another matter."
- Sir Winston Churchill
GucciBaseballs
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Spiegs1106 » Sun Jun 20, 2004 1:01 pm

yeah, but what im saying is that with my first found pick i would rather take a stud like vlad and then in the 3rd round get Abreu -- who in my mind is equal to Beltran. That's the way to go
Spiegs1106
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby GucciBaseballs » Sun Jun 20, 2004 1:02 pm

Spiegs1106 wrote:yeah, but what im saying is that with my first found pick i would rather take a stud like vlad and then in the 3rd round get Abreu -- who in my mind is equal to Beltran. That's the way to go

I too would rather have Vlad over those 2. However all three are studs and unless you are playing with morons, Beltran and Abreu will not last past the 2nd at the latest.
"I am ready to meet my Maker. Whether my Maker is prepared for the great ordeal of meeting me is another matter."
- Sir Winston Churchill
GucciBaseballs
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Spiegs1106 » Sun Jun 20, 2004 1:05 pm

in my league...i got vlad 3rd overall, gagne 12 overall (too early i kno), abreu 17 overall and nomar 26 overall
Spiegs1106
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby LBJackal » Sun Jun 20, 2004 1:05 pm

Spiegs1106 wrote:yeah, but what im saying is that with my first found pick i would rather take a stud like vlad and then in the 3rd round get Abreu -- who in my mind is equal to Beltran. That's the way to go

Yes that would be good if we knew Abreu was going to be this good again....the past 2 season he's hit 20 HR in each of them..he's almost at 20 before we're even halfway through the season. And for that reason Gucci, I wouldn't say that Abreu has proven his power. 40 HR over the past 2 seasons compared to 55 for Beltran, who has played 20 less games.

I'd pick Beltran to hit more HR than Abreu this year..........

"Jack, will you call me, if you're able?"

"I've got your phone number written, in the back of my Bible."
LBJackal
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Pick 3 Weekly Winner

Postby Spiegs1106 » Sun Jun 20, 2004 1:14 pm

Projected Stats

Abreu: .315; 37 HR; 113 RBI; 35 SB
Beltran: .285; 31 HR; 120 RBI; 35 SB

now drafting beltran 4th overall or abreu 17 overall, who get's better deal. In my mind Abreu is better and in a better lineup.
Spiegs1106
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby YankeeRebel » Sun Jun 20, 2004 1:27 pm

Abreu for one reason. His team is better and hes playing under much more pressure to win. Everyone knows the royals aint going no where.
-Ben Affleck, "The Yankees Could have a $240 Million Infield W/O Their Second Baseman"

-Boston Globe, "Damn Yankees. It just never stops with these guys."
YankeeRebel
College Coach
College Coach

Postby FatGuyWithAMullet » Sun Jun 20, 2004 1:33 pm

LBJackal wrote:
FatGuyWithAMullet wrote:Why are people so obsessed with Beltran? He is so overrated.

People keep talking about "Oh he could go 40-40!", guess what...he's never even gone 30-30 and he ain't getting any younger.

Beltran puts up basically the same numbers as Andruw Jones only Beltran steals 30+ a season.

BELTRAN IS OVERRATED! :~(

Beltran will hit around 290+, Andruw will hit around 270. Beltran will get about 40 more SB's. Beltran will get about 20 more RBI and 20 more R. How you can begin to compare them is beyond me...........

How can I compare them? I already said forget the SB.

Let's compare Beltran of 2002 and Andruw of 2003.

Beltran - .273 - .847 OPS - 29 HR - 105 RBI - 135K - 71 BB - 114 R

Jones - .277 - .851 OPS - 36 HR - 116 RBI - 125K - 53 BB - 101 R

Yes, that is beyond the realm of comparison right there.
FatGuyWithAMullet
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby thehat » Sun Jun 20, 2004 1:37 pm

Abreu seems locked in for a career year. I had Beltran rated higher pre-draft, but in a mid-season I'd take Abreu. However, I would still take Beltran in a keeper league.

Actually, I'd love to own 'em both!
thehat
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicFantasy Expert

Postby WhiteHot » Sun Jun 20, 2004 2:23 pm

Beltran vs. Abreu is like Pierre vs. Crawford. Very similar guys, but one guy going WAY too early.
WhiteHot
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers