Beltran vs. Abreu?? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Beltran vs. Abreu??

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Beltran vs. Abreu??

Postby Spiegs1106 » Sun Jun 20, 2004 9:19 am

their stats are identical...but Abreu is a little better. Overall, who is the better player?? Is Beltran Overrated and Abreu underrated? Please give me fead back. Thanx
Spiegs1106
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby DaQ » Sun Jun 20, 2004 9:22 am

B-E-L-T-R-A-N

I have two reasons

1.) What do you see more: Beltran vs Vlad posts or Abreu vs Vlad posts?

2.) Beltran is a second half player and that quick start was a surprise. Their stats are close, but Beltran has greater potential and can go 40-40 while Abreu is considered a possible 30-30 player (Beltran has gone 30-30 before, including last year). Some of Beltran's numbers are just a tiny bit higher at hte end of the year.
DaQ
General Manager
General Manager

Postby Kelly Gruber » Sun Jun 20, 2004 9:38 am

Beltran is awesome although I agree that Abreu is underrated. One's a first rounder because of 40-40 potential as mentioned above, and other is a second rounder that can be had in the 3rd or 4th round because of 30-30 potential (although the last 2 years have been 20-30 years, but he looks to be back in 2001 form this year)
An unanswered question is better than an unquestioned answer
Kelly Gruber
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby sammyfan711 » Sun Jun 20, 2004 10:27 am

Both are great players but I like Abreu. He takes a whole bunch more walks but the difference this year is his new park. Beltran is great, but Abreu should end up with better numbers.
sammyfan711
College Coach
College Coach

Postby ajgnydc722 » Sun Jun 20, 2004 10:48 am

DaQ wrote:B-E-L-T-R-A-N

I have two reasons

1.) What do you see more: Beltran vs Vlad posts or Abreu vs Vlad posts?

2.) Beltran is a second half player and that quick start was a surprise. Their stats are close, but Beltran has greater potential and can go 40-40 while Abreu is considered a possible 30-30 player (Beltran has gone 30-30 before, including last year). Some of Beltran's numbers are just a tiny bit higher at hte end of the year.

No, actually Beltran has never hit 30 homeruns in a season. He only hit 26 I believe last year.
ajgnydc722
General Manager
General Manager

Postby Spiegs1106 » Sun Jun 20, 2004 10:59 am

sammyfan711 wrote:Both are great players but I like Abreu. He takes a whole bunch more walks but the difference this year is his new park. Beltran is great, but Abreu should end up with better numbers.

I agree, I mean I would take Beltran over Abreu in a draft, but their closer then people think. I bet that Abreu will have better numbers. I like a guy that bats .300 better then someone around .270!
Spiegs1106
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby funatic » Sun Jun 20, 2004 11:18 am

Beltran has never hit 30 HR's. He hit 29 and 26 the last two years. Between the two, Beltran would have more potential. This year though, it seems that Abreu will perform better accross the board, except maybe SB's, where Beltran seems to be the better baserunner.
funatic
College Coach
College Coach

Postby FatGuyWithAMullet » Sun Jun 20, 2004 11:20 am

Why are people so obsessed with Beltran? He is so overrated.

People keep talking about "Oh he could go 40-40!", guess what...he's never even gone 30-30 and he ain't getting any younger.

Beltran puts up basically the same numbers as Andruw Jones only Beltran steals 30+ a season.

BELTRAN IS OVERRATED! :~(
FatGuyWithAMullet
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby jpbusta » Sun Jun 20, 2004 11:31 am

I drafted Abreu in the late 3rd round and have been more than happy so far. I'd personally rather take Abreu in the 3rd round (which was possible in the preseason) than take beltran in the first half of the 1st round.
R2C2.
jpbusta
General Manager
General Manager

Postby LBJackal » Sun Jun 20, 2004 12:26 pm

FatGuyWithAMullet wrote:Why are people so obsessed with Beltran? He is so overrated.

People keep talking about "Oh he could go 40-40!", guess what...he's never even gone 30-30 and he ain't getting any younger.

Beltran puts up basically the same numbers as Andruw Jones only Beltran steals 30+ a season.

BELTRAN IS OVERRATED! :~(

Beltran will hit around 290+, Andruw will hit around 270. Beltran will get about 40 more SB's. Beltran will get about 20 more RBI and 20 more R. How you can begin to compare them is beyond me...........

Abreu and Beltran is a good comparison. Abreu has been around a bit longer and fantasy owners thought they'd seen everything he can do, and was not going to improve. He's had 20 HR each of the past 2 seasons. He's now on pace for 38. That's why Abreu is being overlooked. He'll probably end with about 25-30 HR's, and I'd guess about 30 SB's. That's pretty good, but Beltran will probably match him in HR and steal 20 more bases. Abreu should have a little higher BA, and depending where Beltran is traded too, R and RBI will be close between them.

And Spiegs, what makes you say Beltran is a .270 hitter? His career he batted .287 and this year he's batting .281 even though he's slumped for a while. You can pretty much assume Abreu will hit .300, but Beltran could be anywhere from .290-.310 IMO.

"Jack, will you call me, if you're able?"

"I've got your phone number written, in the back of my Bible."
LBJackal
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Pick 3 Weekly Winner

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers