Hitter Matchups - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Hitter Matchups

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Hitter Matchups

Postby pbeall100281 » Sun Jun 20, 2004 1:20 am

I'm trying to get better at day to day hitting matchups but can't quite seem to get it right. I know that players like Eric Chavez and David Oritz do poorly vs. lefties but even then it seems like when I bench them for the day they end up doing well vs. some righty reliever or even hitting that particular lefty. Any suggestions or stratagies?
pbeall100281 Beginner
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Madison » Sun Jun 20, 2004 4:36 am

I always start the best player I have at every position regardless of who they are facing. B-)
Yes doctor, I am sick.
Sick of those who are spineless.
Sick of those who feel self-entitled.
Sick of those who are hypocrites.
Yes doctor, an army is forming.
Yes doctor, there will be a war.
Yes doctor, there will be blood.....
Madison
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

ExecutiveEditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 1)

Postby matmat » Sun Jun 20, 2004 4:42 am

unfortunately in the standard FBB games we do not have the same degree of control that real managers have in real baseball.

90% of the time I will play my best player at a particular position. The other 10% I will go with a split if the replacement has significantly better numbers against the starter that they will be facing as compared to the primary player.
Give a man a fish and he'll eat for a day, teach a man to fish and he'll drown because you forgot to teach him to swim.
[url=http://www.indra.com/8ball/front.html]Invaluable Fantasy Baseball Resource[/url]
matmat
General Manager
General Manager

Postby godallahstar » Sun Jun 20, 2004 4:43 am

you really really really should play the splits - it's so under rated and easy to forget.

i try to make sure i have royce clayton in the lineup, when he's at home, and try to have hairston jr in vs lefties, especially when playing away.

things like that can help you in many ways, mainly avg and or runs.
godallahstar
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Madison » Sun Jun 20, 2004 4:50 am

godallahstar wrote:you really really really should play the splits - it's so under rated and easy to forget.

i try to make sure i have royce clayton in the lineup, when he's at home, and try to have hairston jr in vs lefties, especially when playing away.

things like that can help you in many ways, mainly avg and or runs.

I've used the strategy when I'm platooning a weak position, but the original poster referred to Chavez and Ortiz. Bench them for who? Those guys deserve to start (if healthy) on the majority of teams.
Yes doctor, I am sick.
Sick of those who are spineless.
Sick of those who feel self-entitled.
Sick of those who are hypocrites.
Yes doctor, an army is forming.
Yes doctor, there will be a war.
Yes doctor, there will be blood.....
Madison
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

ExecutiveEditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 1)

Postby matmat » Sun Jun 20, 2004 4:53 am

Madison wrote:I've used the strategy when I'm platooning a weak position, but the original poster referred to Chavez and Ortiz. Bench them for who? Those guys deserve to start (if healthy) on the majority of teams.

agreed.
I don't even understand why Francona sits Ortiz against lefties... his stats are actually better, I think, than the other options he has. Maybe against someone like RJ it would make sense, but a Kennedy? oh well...
Give a man a fish and he'll eat for a day, teach a man to fish and he'll drown because you forgot to teach him to swim.
[url=http://www.indra.com/8ball/front.html]Invaluable Fantasy Baseball Resource[/url]
matmat
General Manager
General Manager

Postby godallahstar » Sun Jun 20, 2004 4:59 am

if they are hitting like they shoudl be - of course you shouldn't bench them.

but i have Aubrey Huff, someone who has great potential to be as good as either of those two, but is slumping. more than a few times ive wanted to bench him, and recently did, and in turn played Daryle Ward vs a leftie and was rewarded with a home run and 3rbi
godallahstar
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby matmat » Sun Jun 20, 2004 5:12 am

as an aside... whenever I start fiddling with my lineups on a daily basis (beyond starting pitchers) my bench players invariably score tons of stats and my starting players create what looks like a vertical chain of egg-shaped links.
matmat
General Manager
General Manager

Postby pbeall100281 » Sun Jun 20, 2004 8:47 pm

matmat wrote:as an aside... whenever I start fiddling with my lineups on a daily basis (beyond starting pitchers) my bench players invariably score tons of stats and my starting players create what looks like a vertical chain of egg-shaped links.

Ok, so it's not just me 8-o
pbeall100281 Beginner
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby thehat » Sun Jun 20, 2004 9:00 pm

I will try and get the best matchup with lesser players. But guys like Cavez and Ortiz start every day unless I know they're getting a day off via the Yahoo pre-game boxes.
thehat
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicFantasy Expert

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers