Why the hell does Posada get so many days off? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Why the hell does Posada get so many days off?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby DK » Sun Jun 20, 2004 9:32 pm

Smizzy wrote:You can't argue with Mess fans....they have no clue.

Piazza is such an above average catcher.....he's playing 1st :-t

Please....save the stroy telling for the kids at bedtime.

You have offered no evidence, other than "I can't argue with Mets fans" and "The Yankees rule" and "Piazza is gay" and the like. If you can come up with significant statistical analysis that proves that Piazza is a bad player, be my guest.

162-Gm averages of Piazza to Posada:
G AB R H 2B 3B HR RBI SB CS BB SO BA OBP SLG TB SH SF IBB HBP GDP
546 84 147 34 1 25 98 2 3 89 142 .270 .375 .474 259 0 4 9 6 16
593 98 189 29 1 40 123 2 2 66 93 .319 .388 .572 339 0 4 14 2 21

Go ahead, tell me you'd rather have the first player.

Compared to the league (park adjusted):
BA+ .002 OBP+ .038 SLG+ .044 OPS+ .083
BA+ .056 OBP+ .055 SLG+ .155 OPS+ .209

again, tell me you'd rather have the first player.

Range Factor:
C #1- 7.07 League Average- 6.73
C #2- 7.29 League Average- 6.66

See above statement.

How about Jeter's Range Factor?

Jeter- 4.00 League Average- 4.36

Anything else?
DK
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Smizzy » Sun Jun 20, 2004 10:46 pm

Who said posada was a good catcher?

Did i even mention posada?

1 question.....if mike piazza was a 1B,would we even be having this conversation?
"Clutch does exist, I've got one in my car"--BobbyRoberto
Smizzy
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Home Cafe: Football

Postby DK » Sun Jun 20, 2004 10:53 pm

Smizzy wrote:Who said posada was a good catcher?

Did i even mention posada?

1 question.....if mike piazza was a 1B,would we even be having this conversation?

Um... What conversation? I think we have two different perceptions of the same conversation.

Someone said that Jeter CAN field. I was just proving them wrong. :)

Also, I was showing to all you Yankee fans that I'd rather have my catcher than yours.

Piazza is the most prolific hitting catcher in history, so if he was a 1B, the point would be moot... It's not even a rational question.

Piazza did all of these feats while under immense physical pressure. Imagine if he was a 1B, without the load of catcher's equipment, foul tips off your fingers, and that god-awful crouch position they get it to receive a pitch roughly 145 times a day.
DK
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby Smizzy » Sun Jun 20, 2004 10:59 pm

I think when people say "piazza is the most prolific hitting catcher in history"....they should also include" but as a catcher...he was mediocre at best"

Then id have no problems....but they never hear both.
Smizzy
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Amazinz » Sun Jun 20, 2004 11:13 pm

Smizzy wrote:I think when people say "piazza is the most prolific hitting catcher in history"....they should also include" but as a catcher...he was mediocre at best"

Why? So it would be easier to swallow? Jealousy and envy will eat you alive, bro. Let it go. :-b
Maine has a good swing for a pitcher but on anything that moves, he has no chance. And if it's a fastball, it has to be up in the zone. Basically, the pitcher has to hit his bat. - Mike Pelfrey
Amazinz
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Smizzy » Sun Jun 20, 2004 11:30 pm

Amazinz wrote:
Smizzy wrote:I think when people say "piazza is the most prolific hitting catcher in history"....they should also include" but as a catcher...he was mediocre at best"

Why? So it would be easier to swallow? Jealousy and envy will eat you alive, bro. Let it go. :-b

LOL...a yankee fan jealous of a mess fan,LOL,yea ok...good luck with your sub .500 ballclub.

C'mon you can't be serious....ask piazza if he's jealous of jeter's or posada's World Championship Rings,any of them...tell me what he says.
Smizzy
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Amazinz » Mon Jun 21, 2004 12:03 am

Smizzy wrote:LOL...a yankee fan jealous of a mess fan,LOL,yea ok...good luck with your sub .500 ballclub.

No I don't think you're jealous of Mets fans. I think you're jealous of the fact that the Mets have a player who actually steals headlines away from your beloved Yankees. That's the only thing that explains you continously returning to this thread to deny Piazza's superiority.

Smizzy wrote:C'mon you can't be serious....ask piazza if he's jealous of jeter's or posada's World Championship Rings,any of them...tell me what he says.

Piazza is a guaranteed entry into the Hall of Fame. He will be immortalized in baseball lore. Do you really think he's jealous of Jeter or Posada? No doubt he wants a ring but his career isn't over yet. And don't count this sub-.500 club (actually they are .500) out yet. They've got a bit of fight in them. Hey you never know. The Mets might have to take care of them pesky Sox for you guys after the Yankees pitching staff implodes during the playoffs. Cheers. B-)
Maine has a good swing for a pitcher but on anything that moves, he has no chance. And if it's a fastball, it has to be up in the zone. Basically, the pitcher has to hit his bat. - Mike Pelfrey
Amazinz
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Smizzy » Mon Jun 21, 2004 1:26 am

I hope you around come the end of the season to eat your crow...i doubt you will be.

I could careless if the mess get a little attention....the most the see all year is the subway series,and we all know how that turns out.

Deny what?....Great, he is thhe best hitter at his position,ever,a position he doesn't play very well and IF he did play another position he Offensive #'s alone wouldn't get him anywhere near the HOF.

So the fact is ...he will always be known as a great hitter,mediocre fielder.

You can have you one headline a season....im not a hog.
Smizzy
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Amazinz » Mon Jun 21, 2004 2:44 am

Smizzy wrote:I hope you around come the end of the season to eat your crow...i doubt you will be.

For what? Piazza will still be headed for the HoF at the end of the year. :-D
Amazinz
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

Postby DK » Mon Jun 21, 2004 11:39 am

Smizzy wrote:I hope you around come the end of the season to eat your crow...i doubt you will be.

I could careless if the mess get a little attention....the most the see all year is the subway series,and we all know how that turns out.

Deny what?....Great, he is thhe best hitter at his position,ever,a position he doesn't play very well and IF he did play another position he Offensive #'s alone wouldn't get him anywhere near the HOF.

So the fact is ...he will always be known as a great hitter,mediocre fielder.

You can have you one headline a season....im not a hog.

OK, ONCE more:

1.If he played another position his body would not be as banged up and his #'s probably would have been significantly better. But the fact is, it's not even a debatable question because it didn't happen.

2.Piazza's Range factor on his career is 7.29 where in the league the average was 6.66. He was well above average as a fielder for a catcher. People notice his throwing arm and disregard anything else.

If Piazza is so bad as a fielder, why do the statistics say otherwise?
DK
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers