Santiago breaks hand - Out 2 months - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Kansas City Royals

Santiago breaks hand - Out 2 months

Moderators: joshparrish, prodpaul, Baseball Moderators

Santiago breaks hand - Out 2 months

Postby joshparrish » Sat Jun 19, 2004 2:42 am

from MLB.com

PHILADEPHIA -- Royals catcher Benito Santiago could be out six to eight weeks after suffering a broken left hand on Friday night.
Santiago was hit by a pitch from Philadelphia Phillies right-hander Geoff Geary in the sixth inning. Santiago immediately left the game and was taken for X-rays.

"It got cracked pretty good," Santiago said. "But there's nothing you can do. Just got to fight it and take care of myself and let it heal. It's going to take a little while."

Trainer Nick Swartz said the fracture was in the fifth metacarpal just below the knuckle.

"Normally, it takes four to six weeks just to heal it," Swartz said.

Because a catcher uses his glove hand so often, the Royals want to be certain Santiago's hand is ready to withstand the pounding when he does come back.

Royals general manager Allard Baird said the Royals are calling up catcher Mike Tonis from Double-A Wichita to replace Santiago on the roster. Santiago will be placed on the disabled list.

Oddly enough, backup catcher Kelly Stinnett replaced Santiago and was hit by a pitch on the same hand by right-hander Elizardo Ramirez in the ninth inning. But Stinnett was only bruised.

Who would've taken over as catcher if Stinnett also had to leave the game?

"(Infielder) Damian Jackson -- or me," manager Tony Pena said.

Santiago was batting .274 but had hit in 10 of his last 12 games, going 14-for-40.

"The last month of the season, he's been playing well," Pena said. "Hitting, defense and calling games."

In that stretch, Santiago had three home runs, including a three-run shot off Phillies starter Paul Abbott in the first inning of the Royals' 10-4 win on Friday night.

"I'd change that for no broken bone," Santiago said.

Pena was asked if he thought Geary was buzzing Santiago in retaliation for the home run or because Matt Stairs had just homered.

"No, I don't think so," Pena said. "This kid pitches inside a lot."

Royals pitchers did not respond by throwing inside to the Phillies. Pena does not endorse that tactic.

"Don't wake them up," he said. "Let 'em sleep. Get 'em out."
joshparrish
College Coach
College Coach

Eagle Eye
Home Cafe: Baseball

Return to Kansas City Royals