Rotoworld htes Armando - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Rotoworld htes Armando

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Rotoworld htes Armando

Postby LionsandTigersOhMy » Thu Jun 17, 2004 10:41 pm

Armando Benitez rebounded from his poor performance last night to pitch two scoreless innings tonight and pick up the victory in the process.
Benitez struck out two and walked one. Nice to see, but he's still a sell-high candidate. Jun. 17 - 10:26 pm et

This is the second bad write up they have had on him this week! I see no reason why he cant be the top closer at seasons end. Marlins always play close and the enviroment is more fitting for him.
LionsandTigersOhMy
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Registered_Guest » Thu Jun 17, 2004 10:48 pm

It'd be nice if they'd just report the news and leave their opinions out. Reporting trends would be fine.

I agree with you. No reason Armando won't continue to be a top closer at year's end.
Last edited by Registered_Guest on Thu Jun 17, 2004 11:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Registered_Guest
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby wannabthechamp » Thu Jun 17, 2004 10:52 pm

Besides the Cafe, Rotoworld is the only place where you can find fantasy opinions. Anyone know of any other good sites?
"I'm very important. I have many leather-bound books and my apartment smells of rich mahogany. - Ron Burgundy
wannabthechamp
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby BigLebowski » Thu Jun 17, 2004 11:34 pm

You can go to CBS Sportsline, but they can't even come up with their own opinions. They just repeat the exact same thing that Rotoworld says to do. :-t
BigLebowski
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 474)

Re: Rotoworld htes Armando

Postby BoSox4life » Thu Jun 17, 2004 11:48 pm

LionsandTigersOhMy wrote:Armando Benitez rebounded from his poor performance last night to pitch two scoreless innings tonight and pick up the victory in the process.
Benitez struck out two and walked one. Nice to see, but he's still a sell-high candidate. Jun. 17 - 10:26 pm et

This is the second bad write up they have had on him this week! I see no reason why he cant be the top closer at seasons end. Marlins always play close and the enviroment is more fitting for him.

The writer is probably bitter because he didn't draft him before Gange :-D ;-)
All I want out of life, is that when I walk down the street folks will say, "There goes the greatest hitter that ever lived."
--Ted Williams
BoSox4life
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby cafe_58 » Fri Jun 18, 2004 12:04 am

Registered_Guest wrote:It'd be nice if they'd just report the news and leave their opinions out. Reporting trends would be fine.

I agree with you. No reason Armando won't continue to be a top closer at year's end.

I like the fact that they give their opinions. Don't take them as cold hard facts. Take it as a general opinion on an event. I find that it helps people to figure things out. Of course, they're opinions are biased - as opinions naturally are - but half of fantasy is speculation and opinions can give a direction where to speculate.

I think Armando will be a good closer for the rest of the season, but probably won't keep up his amazing ERA and WHIP. Which qualifies him as a sell-high guy. If you could get Gagne for his stats, you would do it.
cafe_58
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Location: You can find me in da dome, chillin wit Jarome.......

Postby slomo007 » Fri Jun 18, 2004 12:11 am

I started a thread about this a few days ago after this news came out:

Rotoworld wrote:Jun. 15, 2004 - 10:42 pm et

The honeymoon ended tonight for Armando Benitez as he allowed three runs in 1 2/3 innings against the White Sox to blow just his second save of the season.
Benitez entered in the eighth inning in a 4-0 game with two runners on base. Frank Thomas proceeded to hit a three-run home run to make it a 4-3 game. The Marlins added an insurance run in the bottom of the eighth, but Benitez then allowed a two-run home run to Timo Perez to tie the game in the top of the ninth. Tonight's game raised Benitez's ERA from 0.54 to 1.29. He's still a very good option in NL-only leagues, but he won't keep up his high saves pace or his very low ERA.

They seriously said "he's still a good option in NL-only leagues

Are you kidding me?! He is without a doubt a top 10 closer in mixed leagues, and that's even underestimating it a little. If you just look at current stats he's a top 5 closer.

I guess I'm just still bitter at Rotoworld for this quote:

Rotoworld wrote:May. 11, 2004 - 9:47 pm et

Ken Griffey Jr. has been moved up to the cleanup spot tonight.
Adam Dunn, who is still Cincinanti's best hitter even if he's not as hot as he was at the start of the year, is back batting fifth.

Calling Dunn a "better hitter" than Griffey is just outrageous IMO.
slomo007
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicEagle Eye

Postby warrick95 » Fri Jun 18, 2004 12:14 am

I think they meant that Dunn was a better (meaning hotter) hitter than Griffey at the time?

The Benitez NL only thing sounded a tad bit sarcastic.

As for the latest comment, it depends on how high. His ERA and WHIP cannot stay this low, that's for sure. If you can get like a Gagne or Foulke for him, by all means, go ahead. That's what they mean by sell high. I certainly do not think they mean that he's going to tank this year and pull a Mesa. Personally, I might try to pursue Dotel or Foulke using him (yes, I am very confident in Octavio Dotel).
warrick95
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Jester » Fri Jun 18, 2004 12:15 am

Well put Cafe 58!!!

"...but half of fantasy is speculation and opinions can give a direction where to speculate. "

But don't forget that those are still opinions. Its that kind of talk that got every fantasy squd who herd, rushing to hold onto a guy like Matt Riley for so long...
Food is an important part of a balanced diet.
Jester
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby slomo007 » Fri Jun 18, 2004 12:25 am

warrick95 wrote:I think they meant that Dunn was a better (meaning hotter) hitter than Griffey at the time?

That's the thing though, they said that even though Dunn wasn't hot, he's still their best hitter. Heck, if Kearns is healthy, he's a better pure hitter than Dunn. I think that is a ridiculous statement. I guess I could see an argument for Dunn being the better power hitter, but calling him their best "hitter" is crazy. Sometimes their opinions are correct, but sometimes they're terrible, so I take them all with a grain of salt.
slomo007
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicEagle Eye

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers