Can Mondesi keep this up? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Can Mondesi keep this up?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Can Mondesi keep this up?

Postby Timmm » Fri Jul 05, 2002 8:53 am

He's been performing for the Yanks. Could we possible see a return to his LA form ? He's already on pace for 30-20 but doesnt look like he can steal the bases like he used to.

I was offered Garrett Anderson for Raul Mondesi straight up, should I do the deal?
Timmm

Home Cafe: Football
Friendliness: %

Postby Arlo » Mon Jul 08, 2002 3:40 pm

Tough call, Timmm. Anderson might be the wiser bet, but Mondesi is so intriguing now that he's with the Yanks that it would be very tempting to stick with him. I don't think he'll be stealing a lot of bases (even though he swiped a bag yesterday), but the rest of his stats could soar.

I guess this comes down to whether you feel comfortable taking a risk such as this. I'd probably stick with Mondesi, even though I might wind up kicking myself for it...
Arlo
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby dannahann » Tue Jul 09, 2002 12:36 am

Agreed that Mondi's intriguing right now, and he certainly hits in a better lineup than with Toronto, but I'd have to lean toward the sure thing in Anderson. He's been an automatic hit machine for several seasons running. Mondi has always been streaky. If you've owned him all season, you know how hot he was the first two weeks (330+ and 9 HRs if I remember) Not much since then until this past week. I drafted Mondi in 2 of 3 leagues and dealt him in April off that hot start and have no regrets, (both teams are in 1st and those trades definately played a role). I think you now have a golden opportunity to cash in on the Yankee hype by getting Anderson straight up, it probably won't last long given Mondi's streakiness.

Speaking of the Yankee hype factor, have any other Weaver owners recieved incredible offers this week, too? Still deciding which ones (own Weaver in 2 leagues) to do, Wow!!
dannahann
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafe Ranker
(Past Year: 39)

Postby tallmike » Tue Jul 09, 2002 9:33 am

This is an intriguing discussion because Anderson is the anti-hype. Posts good numbers without much attention. Depends where you are in the standings. I'm inclined to Mondesi because of the potential for four categories (although avg not usually a winner). He'll be happy and motivated. if you're sailing in first place then why take the chance?
tallmike

Mock(ing) Drafter

Postby Arlo » Tue Jul 09, 2002 10:39 am

Good point - it's interesting to compare two players at completely different ends of the hype and hoopla spectrum.

What were the offers for Weaver, dannahan? I haven't seen any offers in my leagues, just a bit of good-natured gloating by his owner...
Arlo
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby dannahann » Tue Jul 09, 2002 11:22 pm

Weaver offers since the trade:

In a league dominated by Yankee fans :-t Ive been offered 3 deals:
(Berkman + Washburn) for (Weaver + Beltran);
(Guardado + Halladay + K. Wells) for (Weaver + Scott Stewart)
Cliff Floyd for (Weaver + JD Drew)

I'm most inclined to accept the first offer but am trying to keep Beltran and offer 2 lesser players in his place (JD Drew and Carlos Lee) I think the guy is undervalueing Washburn bigtime due to his Yankee allegience. Beltran's always a 2nd half monster so the disparity between him and Berman will likely be less, but how can you not want LANCE BERKMAN!!! ;-D

In the other league I own Weaver in I was offered Smoltz straight up. Seems like a no-brainer, but here, I'm much stronger at closer (Nen, Percival, Gagne, S. Stewart) than at Starter, so I declined.

Unfortunately, in the league that really matters to me (3 sport ongoing keeper with the same guys) I don't own Weaver (yet) ;-7 The guy who has him is so mad at the Tigers for dealing him that he's asked the league for any takers on his season tix (most of the members live in Hockeytown). I'm trying to 'steal' B-) Weaver away before he comes to his senses, but with all the sharks in that league, I'm sure I'm not the only one :-D
dannahann
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafe Ranker

mondesi and weaver

Postby Timmm » Wed Jul 10, 2002 5:53 pm

Weaver looked safe in his first game as an Yanks, but it looks like he has to fight O.Hernandez for the last spot in the rotation and El Duque has looked sharp as of late. Weaver definitely has good stuff but the Yanks has acquired a lot of RHP with good stuff but they've struggled to maintain their dominance as a Yankee. I would take that Berkman deal and run.

I decided to decline the Anderson for Mondesi offer. GA bats for good AVG but I think Mondesi will end up with a better year.
Timmm

Home Cafe: Football
Friendliness: %

Postby Arlo » Wed Jul 10, 2002 5:53 pm

Wow! That's a lot of activity surrounding Weaver.

I agree with your thinking about the Berkman offer. Maybe you can steal Weaver plus season tickets in your other league... :-D

How does the 3-sport league work? Three separate leagues, or combined budgets for all sports, or something completely different..? Sounds fun!
Arlo
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby dannahann » Wed Jul 10, 2002 7:29 pm

I was a little suprised with all the Weaver activity too and attribute it to so many Yankee fans in that 1st league. Don't worry guys, I won't let Berkman get away, I'm just trying to hold onto Beltran too.

I really don't think Weaver will pitch out of the bullpen though. At this point in their careers, I think Weaver is better than El Duque, Pettite and the Rocket. I wouldn't be suprised at all if he the #1 over Moose (who is great) by the end of '03.

Arlo, I might indeed try and get his season tix if I didn't live 1500 miles away (just joking, it's not difficult to walk up at Comerica and get nice seats these days). As for the 3 sport thing, it's just 3 seperate league but with all the same owners, different guys commish each. One trophy though that "resides" with the latest winner though (kinda like the Stanley Cup). That's why only 3 sports. When you pass it on, it's your responsibility to have the new champs info engraved on it. In our Leagues, the Hockey Champ is the most revered, that's where it all started and that's the sport we're most into. The nice thing is that there's some continuity, if some guys beating your brains out in baseball, you can always publicly remind him of the hockey trade you screwed him on and such. Great Guys, Great Fun.
dannahann
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafe Ranker

Postby Arlo » Wed Jul 10, 2002 7:34 pm

Sounds awesome!

A trophy like that, along with the associated bragging rights, is another great idea for keeping owners interested in a league (see http://www.fantasybaseballcafe.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=731).
Arlo
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Return to Baseball Leftovers