Beltran as a leadoff hitter? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Beltran as a leadoff hitter?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Beltran as a leadoff hitter?

Postby kaz » Thu Jun 17, 2004 2:10 pm

As I was reading a thread, I saw that, as most people are speculating, Beltran may be in Boston or New York soon. Is there a chance that Beltran could end up as a leadoff hitter? What would that do to his value?
"They invented the All-Star Game for Willie Mays." -Ted Williams
kaz
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

User avatar
Sweet 16 Survivor
Posts: 839
Joined: 10 Mar 2004
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby beltrans_boy » Thu Jun 17, 2004 2:17 pm

His RBI production would go down. His Runs would go up. His SBs would probably stay the same (maybe even go down a little). His HRs would probably go down as well.

Don't worrry, I'd be surprised if he ended up in NY or Boston before the end of this season. My guess? He's going to the Friars.

The Mets are pretty much outta the question, since they just got Hidalgo. Boston doesn't really need Beltran, they need pitching, and New York doesn't have the prospects to rent him for the rest of the season.

Once he becomes a free agent, he'll be a Yankee, but not before then.
beltrans_boy
General Manager
General Manager

User avatar

Posts: 3092
Joined: 15 Apr 2004
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: crusing down the street in my six-fo'

Postby irishdude103 » Thu Jun 17, 2004 2:35 pm

his rbi's and HR # would go down, but i would think he would get more SB's, i think he is better where he is now than a leadoff hitter
Image
irishdude103
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
Cafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter
Posts: 5243
(Past Year: 1)
Joined: 22 Apr 2004
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Spiegs1106 » Thu Jun 17, 2004 2:35 pm

where u hear he's goin to Boston???
Spiegs1106
Major League Manager
Major League Manager


Posts: 1217
Joined: 15 Jun 2004
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Massachusetts/Ohio

Postby LBJackal » Thu Jun 17, 2004 2:47 pm

beltrans_boy wrote:His RBI production would go down. His Runs would go up. His SBs would probably stay the same (maybe even go down a little). His HRs would probably go down as well.


Why would his HR's go down? He'd get more AB's batting leadoff, and also it would presumably be a better team so he'd get more AB's based on that too. Going to leadoff doesn't automatically make him have less power.......

I think no matter where he goes he'll pretty much be in a better situation. I don't see his RBI going down, because he's batting second now and the only guy in front of him - Angel Berroa - has a horrible OBA. I think all his stats will go up, but for SB's it remains to be seen what kind of coach he will hvae. That will play a big factor in his SBA. But R, RBI, HR, and BA - I see them going nowhere but up.
Image

"Jack, will you call me, if you're able?"

"I've got your phone number written, in the back of my Bible."
LBJackal
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
Pick 3 Weekly Winner
Posts: 9196
Joined: 1 Jul 2003
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: The Hotel Yorba

Postby blankman » Thu Jun 17, 2004 3:08 pm

LBJackal wrote:
beltrans_boy wrote:His RBI production would go down. His Runs would go up. His SBs would probably stay the same (maybe even go down a little). His HRs would probably go down as well.


Why would his HR's go down? He'd get more AB's batting leadoff, and also it would presumably be a better team so he'd get more AB's based on that too. Going to leadoff doesn't automatically make him have less power.......

I think no matter where he goes he'll pretty much be in a better situation. I don't see his RBI going down, because he's batting second now and the only guy in front of him - Angel Berroa - has a horrible OBA. I think all his stats will go up, but for SB's it remains to be seen what kind of coach he will hvae. That will play a big factor in his SBA. But R, RBI, HR, and BA - I see them going nowhere but up.


I agree completely. I don't see why people said his HR would go down. HR are a stat independent of the team (unless you take ballpark dimensions into effect) and place in the lineup.
blankman
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Graphics Expert
Posts: 10770
Joined: 6 Jul 2003
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby irishdude103 » Thu Jun 17, 2004 3:10 pm

blankman wrote:
LBJackal wrote:
beltrans_boy wrote:His RBI production would go down. His Runs would go up. His SBs would probably stay the same (maybe even go down a little). His HRs would probably go down as well.


Why would his HR's go down? He'd get more AB's batting leadoff, and also it would presumably be a better team so he'd get more AB's based on that too. Going to leadoff doesn't automatically make him have less power.......

I think no matter where he goes he'll pretty much be in a better situation. I don't see his RBI going down, because he's batting second now and the only guy in front of him - Angel Berroa - has a horrible OBA. I think all his stats will go up, but for SB's it remains to be seen what kind of coach he will hvae. That will play a big factor in his SBA. But R, RBI, HR, and BA - I see them going nowhere but up.

his homeruns would go down becasue he would get different pitches to hit

I agree completely. I don't see why people said his HR would go down. HR are a stat independent of the team (unless you take ballpark dimensions into effect) and place in the lineup.
Image
irishdude103
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
Cafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter
Posts: 5243
(Past Year: 1)
Joined: 22 Apr 2004
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby beltrans_boy » Thu Jun 17, 2004 3:11 pm

LBJackal wrote:Why would his HR's go down? He'd get more AB's batting leadoff, and also it would presumably be a better team so he'd get more AB's based on that too. Going to leadoff doesn't automatically make him have less power


As a leadoff hitter, the emphasis is on OBP, not power...especially if he was in a lineup like the Yankees or the Red Sox with sufficient offense to hit him in when he gets on base. Beltran might sacrifice a little bit of his power to become more of a gap hitter. Carlos has one of the best eyes on baseball, and he's really keen to walking and knocking the baseball around the field. I think he'd change his approach and become more of a slap hitter than a power guy. He'll be leaving the hitter friendly confines of Kaufmann for a park that is (presumably) more neutral or pitcher-friendly. If he goes to SD, he'll be playing most of his games at PETCO. Right there, that would take away from his HR totals. I'm not saying Beltran's HRs would take a dramatic hit, but I just don't think he'd be a 40-40 threat anymore.

I dunno, I'm still anxious to see Beltran get traded, but I just have a feeling his HR totals are gonna fall a little.

:-?
beltrans_boy
General Manager
General Manager

User avatar

Posts: 3092
Joined: 15 Apr 2004
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: crusing down the street in my six-fo'

Postby GucciBaseballs » Thu Jun 17, 2004 3:23 pm

First off, the yankees in this situation do actually possess the prospects to attain Beltran. THe Royals have shown an interest in a 3b and catcher. The yankees have one of the top catcher prospects in Dioner Navarro, and have an excellent AAA thirdbaseman in Eric Duncan. Both of them, coupled with some money, and maybe Lofton of Bernie (with their salaries paid for by the Yanks) I think is an interesting offer for the Royals.

Also, if he were to be traded to the Yankees, I would envision him batting second. I think they would rather have Jeter batting leadoff than Beltran, because they know Beltran is a better power hitter.

Jeter
Beltran
A-Rod
Giambi
SHeff
Posada
Matsui
Bernie
Cairo

Man just thinking about the power of that lineup makes me wet my pants. :*)
"I am ready to meet my Maker. Whether my Maker is prepared for the great ordeal of meeting me is another matter."
- Sir Winston Churchill
GucciBaseballs
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

User avatar

Posts: 390
Joined: 12 Apr 2004
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Monument Park

Postby irishdude103 » Thu Jun 17, 2004 3:27 pm

GucciBaseballs wrote:First off, the yankees in this situation do actually possess the prospects to attain Beltran. THe Royals have shown an interest in a 3b and catcher. The yankees have one of the top catcher prospects in Dioner Navarro, and have an excellent AAA thirdbaseman in Eric Duncan. Both of them, coupled with some money, and maybe Lofton of Bernie (with their salaries paid for by the Yanks) I think is an interesting offer for the Royals.

Also, if he were to be traded to the Yankees, I would envision him batting second. I think they would rather have Jeter batting leadoff than Beltran, because they know Beltran is a better power hitter.

Jeter
Beltran
A-Rod
Giambi
SHeff
Posada
Matsui
Bernie
Cairo

Man just thinking about the power of that lineup makes me wet my pants. :*)

that would be a perfect lineup if they got rid of Cairo and tried to get Soriano back--jk
Image
irishdude103
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
Cafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter
Posts: 5243
(Past Year: 1)
Joined: 22 Apr 2004
Home Cafe: Baseball

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 8 guests

cron
Forums Articles & Tips Sleepers Rankings Leagues


Today's Games
Wednesday, Oct. 1
(All times are EST, weather icons show forecast for game time)

San Francisco at Pittsburgh
(8:07 pm)

  • Fantasy Baseball
  • Article Submissions
  • Privacy Statement
  • Site Survey 
  • Contact