THE OFFICIAL HIDALGO TO THE METS THREAD - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

THE OFFICIAL HIDALGO TO THE METS THREAD

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby slomo007 » Thu Jun 17, 2004 3:21 pm

Fireball Express wrote:Another useless trade where the Mets take on more salary. If I'm correct, doesn't Hidalgo's contract run through this year and next. This guy has been injury prone. He had 1 good year. I was satisfied with the Spencer/Garcia duo in the Mets OF for now. Maybe the Mets can turn around and package him for a real player. I'm glad they got rid of Weathers though. He always puts guys on base.

Still the Mets don't want to spend on stars like Vlad, but will waste money on average players like Hidalgo. I'm finding it very hard to be a Mets fan. I may just have to mail my jersey to Wilpon and tell him to keep it. I'm embarrassed to wear it. :-P

The Mets can pay $ 2 million to buy out Hidalgo's contract for next year. Basically, he's being used as a rental for this year.

It isn't that bad of a trade, Hidalgo is a better player than you all are giving him credit for. He had a very fine season last year. I'm sure his power numbers will drop due to Shea, but he's still a better option than Garcia. He has a rifle of an arm too, so NY's defense just got a lot better.
slomo007
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicEagle Eye
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby bjm97 » Thu Jun 17, 2004 3:25 pm

slomo007 wrote:
Fireball Express wrote:Another useless trade where the Mets take on more salary. If I'm correct, doesn't Hidalgo's contract run through this year and next. This guy has been injury prone. He had 1 good year. I was satisfied with the Spencer/Garcia duo in the Mets OF for now. Maybe the Mets can turn around and package him for a real player. I'm glad they got rid of Weathers though. He always puts guys on base.

Still the Mets don't want to spend on stars like Vlad, but will waste money on average players like Hidalgo. I'm finding it very hard to be a Mets fan. I may just have to mail my jersey to Wilpon and tell him to keep it. I'm embarrassed to wear it. :-P

The Mets can pay $ 2 million to buy out Hidalgo's contract for next year. Basically, he's being used as a rental for this year.

It isn't that bad of a trade, Hidalgo is a better player than you all are giving him credit for. He had a very fine season last year. I'm sure his power numbers will drop due to Shea, but he's still a better option than Garcia. He has a rifle of an arm too, so NY's defense just got a lot better.

You are right Slomo- Hidalgo is a better defensive player than Garcia and does have a strong arm. I am happy with Hidalgo as an upgrade over Garcia but am frusterated that the Mets didn't go after Arod/Vlad type talent. I do hope they can land Beltran/Ordonez in the off season.
bjm97
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby slomo007 » Thu Jun 17, 2004 3:30 pm

bjm97 wrote:
slomo007 wrote:

You are right Slomo- Hidalgo is a better defensive player than Garcia and does have a strong arm. I am happy with Hidalgo as an upgrade over Garcia but am frusterated that the Mets didn't go after Arod/Vlad type talent. I do hope they can land Beltran/Ordonez in the off season.

I know what you mean....I think Vlad would have been the perfect fit in NY. I wish that would have happened rather than have him over on the West Coast where I hardly ever get to see him play (more than in Montreal though, I must say).

Either way, I like the trade for the Mets...I think they'll have to make another trade if they want to win that division though (Philly is looking awfully good, and Atlanta is better than they are playing). But it's a start...
slomo007
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicEagle Eye

Postby Amazinz » Thu Jun 17, 2004 3:36 pm

Don't forget that with cash considerations, Weather's contract and the potential $2 Million buyout next year ... drumroll please ... Mets get Hidalgo for $3 Million for approximately 100 games. I don't think you can shake a stick at that.
Maine has a good swing for a pitcher but on anything that moves, he has no chance. And if it's a fastball, it has to be up in the zone. Basically, the pitcher has to hit his bat. - Mike Pelfrey
Amazinz
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Pedantic » Thu Jun 17, 2004 3:37 pm

Yeehaw, I have Lane in my NL-only league. About the only thing that's gone right for me so far this season. ;-7
Pedantic
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicEagle EyeCafe Musketeer

Postby slomo007 » Thu Jun 17, 2004 3:38 pm

Amazinz wrote:Don't forget that with cash considerations, Weather's contract and the potential $2 Million buyout next year ... drumroll please ... Mets get Hidalgo for $3 Million for approximately 100 games. I don't think you can shake a stick at that.

Good point, and assuming Hidalgo stays healthy, that's a great deal. I'm not a Mets fan, but I'll admit when I see a good trade, and this is definitely one.
slomo007
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicEagle Eye

Postby Amazinz » Thu Jun 17, 2004 4:27 pm

It's official now. The Mets sent Jeremy Griffiths as well as David Weathers.
Maine has a good swing for a pitcher but on anything that moves, he has no chance. And if it's a fastball, it has to be up in the zone. Basically, the pitcher has to hit his bat. - Mike Pelfrey
Amazinz
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby DaQ » Thu Jun 17, 2004 4:30 pm

Absolutely Adequate wrote:Fantastic. Now if we can just trade for Adrian Beltre my dream team of overpriced and underperforming "stars" will be complete.

Fantastic.

Amen - Garcia hit a bomb 2 nigts ago and Weathers was a decent setup man.
DaQ
General Manager
General Manager

Postby DK » Thu Jun 17, 2004 5:10 pm

Amazinz wrote:It's official now. The Mets sent Jeremy Griffiths as well as David Weathers.

Damn! I liked Jeremy Griffiths. A lot.
DK
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye

Postby diesel99xx » Thu Jun 17, 2004 6:45 pm

Good move for my Mets, Weathers has been horrible, Hidalgo will add protection for Piazza/Floyd!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Let's Go Mets!
diesel99xx
College Coach
College Coach

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers