THE OFFICIAL HIDALGO TO THE METS THREAD - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

THE OFFICIAL HIDALGO TO THE METS THREAD

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby matmat » Thu Jun 17, 2004 1:33 pm

Amazinz wrote:A bum who becomes someone else's problem next year while we sign Ordonez or Berkman. ;-D

what if they get both . . . would they have to bring the fences in to make them happy?
Give a man a fish and he'll eat for a day, teach a man to fish and he'll drown because you forgot to teach him to swim.
[url=http://www.indra.com/8ball/front.html]Invaluable Fantasy Baseball Resource[/url]
matmat
General Manager
General Manager

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby thetongueofire » Thu Jun 17, 2004 1:38 pm

Amazinz wrote:A bum who becomes someone else's problem next year while we sign Ordonez or Berkman. ;-D

you forget 'bout the Sox ? :-D

btw- the Mets are officially going for it this year i would think.. any other trade rumors ???
[size=10]Manny Ramirez....$20 million
Pedro Martinez....$17.5 million
Curt Schilling...$12 million (and a $2 million bonus)
Never hearing a Yankee fan chant 1918 again...priceless. [/size]
thetongueofire
General Manager
General Manager

Postby Amazinz » Thu Jun 17, 2004 1:41 pm

matmat wrote:

what if they get both . . . would they have to bring the fences in to make them happy?

It'll probably hard enough to sign one let alone both. Pull the fences in at Shea? Yuck. I like Shea just the way it is. It's ugly but I love it. ;-)

P.S. There are conflicting reports. According to an e-mail from a friend, WFAN has reported that the Mets deny this is a done deal and said that talks with the Astros is still underway.
Maine has a good swing for a pitcher but on anything that moves, he has no chance. And if it's a fastball, it has to be up in the zone. Basically, the pitcher has to hit his bat. - Mike Pelfrey
Amazinz
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby matmat » Thu Jun 17, 2004 1:45 pm

no offence, but there already is a thread on this...
Give a man a fish and he'll eat for a day, teach a man to fish and he'll drown because you forgot to teach him to swim.
[url=http://www.indra.com/8ball/front.html]Invaluable Fantasy Baseball Resource[/url]
matmat
General Manager
General Manager

Postby Amazinz » Thu Jun 17, 2004 1:45 pm

thetongueofire wrote:

btw- the Mets are officially going for it this year i would think.. any other trade rumors ???

Whomever they sign the Mets will have a RFer locked up before the Red Sox and Yankees are finished with their ego-war in pursuing Beltran. I don't think the Mets are "officially" going for it.

If this deal goes through it appeases the "get us a big bat" fans and media, while getting rid of Weathers (someone he needed to move on) and allows us to get a rent-a-player without mortgaging our future. Another smart move by J.D. IMHO. I'm really starting to like this guy.
Maine has a good swing for a pitcher but on anything that moves, he has no chance. And if it's a fastball, it has to be up in the zone. Basically, the pitcher has to hit his bat. - Mike Pelfrey
Amazinz
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby thetongueofire » Thu Jun 17, 2004 1:55 pm

Amazinz wrote:
thetongueofire wrote:

Whomever they sign the Mets will have a RFer locked up before the Red Sox and Yankees are finished with their ego-war in pursuing Beltran. I don't think the Mets are "officially" going for it.

If this deal goes through it appeases the "get us a big bat" fans and media, while getting rid of Weathers (someone he needed to move on) and allows us to get a rent-a-player without mortgaging our future. Another smart move by J.D. IMHO. I'm really starting to like this guy.

the Sox wont "seriously" try for Beltran as far as i know (not this year or next year in the FA season).. just doesnt make too much sense.. but maybe just to make it a lil harder for the evil empire :-D

but i guess the Mets arent actually "officially" going for it considering that they can let Hidalgo walk next year.. so they dont have to take on his salary. my bad. :-b
[size=10]Manny Ramirez....$20 million
Pedro Martinez....$17.5 million
Curt Schilling...$12 million (and a $2 million bonus)
Never hearing a Yankee fan chant 1918 again...priceless. [/size]
thetongueofire
General Manager
General Manager

Postby Lofunzo » Thu Jun 17, 2004 1:57 pm

Threads merged.
Lofunzo

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerEagle EyeHockey ModPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 18)

Postby Amazinz » Thu Jun 17, 2004 2:07 pm

thetongueofire wrote:The Sox wont "seriously" try for Beltran as far as i know (not this year or next year in the FA season).. just doesnt make too much sense.. but maybe just to make it a lil harder for the evil empire :-D

You don't think they will? They have a lot of money being freed up potentially if Nomar and Pedro walk. What better way to take revenge for the Arod fiasco than to steal Beltran away. You follow your team so you'd know better than I would but going after Beltran just seems to make a lot of sense for the Sox to me.
Amazinz
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

Postby bjm97 » Thu Jun 17, 2004 3:14 pm

Absolutely Adequate wrote:Fantastic. Now if we can just trade for Adrian Beltre my dream team of overpriced and underperforming "stars" will be complete.

Fantastic.

Beltre? I think we need another stud like Mo Vaughn- it is impressive that he is the highest paid first baseman in the game and possible the heaviest. That or he will become a Juan Samuel- remember how well he played the season AFTER he left the Mets? So frusterating being a Mets fan these days. Maybe just maybe Reyes will play a few games, Floyd will stay healthy, and I will hit powerball!
bjm97
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby Fireball Express » Thu Jun 17, 2004 3:18 pm

Another useless trade where the Mets take on more salary. If I'm correct, doesn't Hidalgo's contract run through this year and next. This guy has been injury prone. He had 1 good year. I was satisfied with the Spencer/Garcia duo in the Mets OF for now. Maybe the Mets can turn around and package him for a real player. I'm glad they got rid of Weathers though. He always puts guys on base.

Still the Mets don't want to spend on stars like Vlad, but will waste money on average players like Hidalgo. I'm finding it very hard to be a Mets fan. I may just have to mail my jersey to Wilpon and tell him to keep it. I'm embarrassed to wear it. :-P
Fireball Express
General Manager
General Manager

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers