Is Lidge Ever Gonna Close?? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Is Lidge Ever Gonna Close??

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby waffle_prince » Thu Jun 17, 2004 4:06 pm

Pedantic wrote:
G-Man wrote:
mikcou wrote:true if Dotel goes through a ruff spot lidge will probably get the call to close

I'd say right now qualifies as a "ruff spot"....

How does now qualify as a rough spot? He has a 3.13 ERA with 13.07 K/9 and 3.29 K/BB, as well as a .216 BAA. I'll bet most relievers in the Majors wish they had "rough spots" like these.

Agreed. And doesn't experience count for anything? Jimy may be crazy, but logically Dotel is the man as long as he doesn't go through a REAL "rough spot." Lidge is coming off only his first full year in the bigs.
"Funny. You like samurai swords . . . I like baseball."
waffle_prince
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Sam Handwich » Thu Jun 17, 2004 4:18 pm

thats what sucks about sports today, someone talking about lidge bailing for more cash asap. the astros drafted him 1st round and waited on his injuries forever, but as soon as he performs its sionara, bah!
/goes to watch baseketball
There is no "I" in team but there are two "I"s in statistics - oh, there are also a few "tits" in there also.
Sam Handwich
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby G-Man » Thu Jun 17, 2004 5:20 pm

Pedantic wrote:
G-Man wrote:
mikcou wrote:true if Dotel goes through a ruff spot lidge will probably get the call to close

How does now qualify as a rough spot? He has a 3.13 ERA with 13.07 K/9 and 3.29 K/BB, as well as a .216 BAA. I'll bet most relievers in the Majors wish they had "rough spots" like these.

what do his SEASON stats have to do with a "ruff spot" (read: SPOT)?

I am simply saying that in his previous outing where he went 2 IP he looked less than spectacular and then he followed up that appearance with a blown save (regardless of berkman's error he should be able to shake that off and still get the job done).

In any event I am still counting on dotel to be a dominant closer and think by season's end he will have justified the relatively high draft picks his owners used to roster him.
G-Man
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby Registered_Guest » Thu Jun 17, 2004 5:25 pm

G-Man wrote:[he followed up that appearance with a blown save (regardless of berkman's error he should be able to shake that off and still get the job done).

It wasn't his decision to INT walk thereafter Derrick Lee (hitless in his career vs. Dotel) to face Michael Barrett (then 2-for-5 career vs. Dotel and has been hitting the tar out of the ball all season long).

Dotel will keep the job.
Registered_Guest
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby monybaggs » Thu Jun 17, 2004 6:35 pm

Lidge is a hero...sorry octavio but im prayin that you blow it!!! ;-D ;-D ;-D
http://boston.redsox.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/team/player.jsp?player_id=111736
monybaggs
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby thaklanksta » Thu Jun 17, 2004 9:39 pm

Hidalgo getting trade might pave the way for another change or trade. If I were Dotel or Jimmy I would be trying my best right now........

Lidege will get a shot now and then but unless they move dotel I don't see him getting many chances....unfortunately.
thaklanksta
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Pick 3 Weekly Winner

Postby swingaway » Fri Jun 18, 2004 5:55 am

that right were going to make a trade for beltran
we trade dotel, ensberg, carlos hernadez ,biggo and some prospects for him.
swingaway
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Pick 3 Weekly Winner

Postby Pedantic » Fri Jun 18, 2004 8:16 am

G-Man wrote:
Pedantic wrote:
G-Man wrote:

what do his SEASON stats have to do with a "ruff spot" (read: SPOT)?

I am simply saying that in his previous outing where he went 2 IP he looked less than spectacular and then he followed up that appearance with a blown save (regardless of berkman's error he should be able to shake that off and still get the job done).

In any event I am still counting on dotel to be a dominant closer and think by season's end he will have justified the relatively high draft picks his owners used to roster him.

I give you his season stats to show you the big picture. Sometimes, people here are incredibly shortsighted and are ready to dethrone excellent pitchers like Dotel because they don't K four batters every inning. If pitchers like Dotel were perfect in every game, there'd be no need for ERA, now would there? Even Gagne gives up runs here and there. ;-7

From May 20th to June 9th, Dotel threw in nine games, striking out 13 and issuing only one walk, while only giving up one ER during that stretch. He then gave up two runs on his next outing, a 46 pitch affair.

His next outing came two days after he had made 46 pitches. In outings prior to June 13th that came on two days or less rest this season, he has averaged slightly over 18 pitches in the previous game. He also threw 34 pitches on the 15th. That comes to 80 pitches combined for the two games!

I would call this "spot" more the result of poor use than anything else.
Pedantic
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicEagle EyeCafe Musketeer

Postby BronsonPinchot » Fri Jun 18, 2004 11:17 am

Of course Lidge will close. Don't be fools. Theres no reason to think Dotel will lose his job though, so unless your league counts holds, Dotel's value should be significantly higher. If you are looking for save next year in a keeper league Lidge might be someone to keep an eye on.
BronsonPinchot Beginner
College Coach
College Coach

Previous

Return to Baseball Leftovers