Freddy Trade? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Seattle Mariners

Freddy Trade?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Freddy Trade?

Postby TenaciousG » Thu Jun 17, 2004 3:47 am

I own Freddy Garica, and as much as I would want him to go to another team that actually gives him MORE THAN ZERO RUNS OF SUPPORT, I think it would be an awful for idea for the m's.

Especially if he goes to the yankees.

Any thoughts?
Samuel Jackson Beer. Good muthaf@#%in choice!
TenaciousG
College Coach
College Coach

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby funatic » Mon Jun 21, 2004 7:16 am

I think it is worse than a horrible idea for Seattle!! Freddy has been the only pitcher here that will be capable of being a number one starter. Moyer is the best No. 2 at best, IMHO, and every year after forty is not goint to help. Pineiro is good, but Freddy has already been there, with an amazing season a few years back. Trading Freddy would mean total overhaul for the Mariners.

However, the Mariners may not have much of a choice. Freddy is obviously unhappy that he is among the top 5 in worst run support for an SP in the league. If he wants to leave, I don't think the Mariners can do anything. That being said, if he does get traded, the Yanks would not be the first choice for the Mariners, and certainly not any Oakland or Anaheim. Not sure if there are any prospects in NY for the M's...
funatic
College Coach
College Coach

Postby BobbyRoberto » Tue Jun 29, 2004 9:35 pm

Well, they traded Freddy and I think it was a good move. I didn't see him coming back here. He's a free agen and is having a good year, so he'll be asking for too much and the M's wouldn't pay it. Remember how much he sucked the last 2 years, though. Also, this year he had a 2.61 ERA at home in the friendly pitcher's haven of Safeco and a 3.91 ERA on the road, so he was helped a lot by the ballpark. I don't think he's a #1 guy in the mold of Schilling, Johnson, Hudson, Pedro, etc. He'd be the M's #1 guy if he continues to pitch like he did this season, but there was not guarantee of that. They got a good young catcher, a great minor league outfield prospect, and the shortstop is a good hitter with a bad glove, so far.

I think it's the first move Bavasi has made that helped the team. Everything else he's done has been crap.
Roger Angell: I was talking with Bob Gibson and I said: 'Are you always this competitive?' He said: 'Oh, I think so. I got a three-year old daughter, and I've played about 500 games of tic-tac-toe with her and she hasn't beat me yet.'
BobbyRoberto
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

CafeholicCafe Writer

Postby funatic » Wed Jun 30, 2004 10:26 am

It was the right move for Seattle. They realized that there is Very Little chance that they could catch up with Oakland and Anaheim, and realized that they probably won't be pulling together more than ten consecutive wins, so they had to get more youth and potential. Losing Freddy is big, but they had to give him up to rebuild. Now maybe Soriano may have a shot...
funatic
College Coach
College Coach

Return to Seattle Mariners