rhodes in the 7th? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

rhodes in the 7th?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby GSes » Thu Jun 17, 2004 12:09 am

slomo007 wrote:For what it's worth to anyone....I just picked up Duke, but I am not starting him if/until he successfully converts a save opp.

I'd say as of now, he's the best bet from what GSes is saying, and I think we should believe him here.

It is very much a commitee right now and while I am huge on not passing up on guys who are potential closers, in this case I wouldn't pick up Mecir or the Duke just yet. I fact I would even consider droping Rhodes, b/c he is that bad. This bullpen is ugly and is a complete disaster. Really the Duke should have been given the closer job about a month ago but the A's are content with giving Rhodes the majority of the save opps or they just let the starter go for the CG.

Rhodes is horrible
Mecir is worse
Duke is the best of the three but he is struggiling lately (4.63 ERA in June)

The A's are basically a commitee right now, and I don't see anyone emerging except for the Duke but like I said before the A's are big on keeping the Duke in Long relief b/c he has the abaility to go 4 or 5 innings if needed or even longer since he is naturally a starter (2003 AAA PCL Pitcher of the Year).

I wouldnt touch any of them right now. Just keep and eye on the situation.

No one knows this, but this BEST RP on the team is Chad bradofrd but the A's refuse to give him a closing shot b/c they dont trust a sumbmariner in the 9th
Last edited by GSes on Thu Jun 17, 2004 12:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
GSes
General Manager
General Manager

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby slomo007 » Thu Jun 17, 2004 12:13 am

Alright thanks, I have an extra roster spot right now...P. Wilson comes back Saturday, so I will need it at that point....so hopefully by then, the situation will be a little clearer so I know who to drop.
slomo007
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicEagle Eye

Postby slomo007 » Thu Jun 17, 2004 12:33 am

Uh oh, check this out:

Rotoworld wrote:Justin Lehr - S - OAK
Buy Athletics Tickets

Justin Lehr is expected to be called up from Triple-A Sacramento on Thursday.
Lehr will become a sleeper candidate for saves. AL-only leaguers should grab him. Jun. 17 - 12:27 am et

They called him up after the game...you have to think they are planning to give him a chance to close. GSes, do you know anything about him?
slomo007
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicEagle Eye

Postby RynMan » Thu Jun 17, 2004 1:20 am

GSes, i agree buddy....Mecir is useless. The A's are killin me right now with their pen situation.

As for for Bradford, i wonder why they don't give him the ball in the 9th? Because he is a submariner? What is there to make a submariner LESS trustworthy in the 9th, than someone else? Its not like Bradford gives up any more homeruns than any other reliever (less if anything).
RynMan
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerAward-Winning Graphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye

Postby GSes » Thu Jun 17, 2004 2:09 am

slomo007 wrote:Uh oh, check this out:

Rotoworld wrote:Justin Lehr - S - OAK
Buy Athletics Tickets

Justin Lehr is expected to be called up from Triple-A Sacramento on Thursday.
Lehr will become a sleeper candidate for saves. AL-only leaguers should grab him. Jun. 17 - 12:27 am et

They called him up after the game...you have to think they are planning to give him a chance to close. GSes, do you know anything about him?

Yep I just got back home and saw that on rotoworld. This kid has been very very good for the A's AAA team the Sacramento Rivercats.

Justin Lehr is a 6 foot, 26 year old Right handed CLOSER for the Cats.

Lehr 2004:

4-1
1.97 ERA
12 saves
38 K's/10BB/32 Innings Pitched

He has NOT given up a Home Run at all this season. ;-D ;-D

The A's have called him up with the loosing Mcmillion to the DL... Will they give him a chance to close games? I really don't know but it makes a whole lot of sense to me to make this kid the closer, I mean he has been lights out in AAA so why not? He can't pitch any worse then the Mecir/Rhodes combo they are using now.

Keep an eye out for this guy, who knows maybe he is what the A's have been looking for and he was lieing in their own organization.
Last edited by GSes on Thu Jun 17, 2004 2:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
GSes
General Manager
General Manager

Postby GSes » Thu Jun 17, 2004 2:11 am

RynMan wrote:GSes, i agree buddy....Mecir is useless. The A's are killin me right now with their pen situation.

As for for Bradford, i wonder why they don't give him the ball in the 9th? Because he is a submariner? What is there to make a submariner LESS trustworthy in the 9th, than someone else? Its not like Bradford gives up any more homeruns than any other reliever (less if anything).

I agree Rynman......I don't understand why Bradford dosen't get a chance, thats the question I always ask and the answer I hear from A's radio and A's management is they don'y trust a submariner in the 9th...........PRetty stupid reason. He is the best RP they have, shouldn't the best RP be used in the 9th inning? Especially for a team who's starters ALWAYS go 8 innings it seems?
GSes
General Manager
General Manager

Postby d18Mike » Thu Jun 17, 2004 2:11 am

Rich Harden is not going to close for the A's at all this season and he will not move to the pen, I can guarentee that it will not happen even if the A's have no other alternatives, Beanne has killed these rumors day in and day out, but they still come around.

Gammons this week continues to beat the Harden for closer drum. He suggest that the A's need to make the decision on Harden soon or they will be dealing for a closer at the trade deadline. He seems to suggest that Rhodes and Co., are not a viable option.

To me an obvious candidate for the role is Urbina. The Tigers want to give German another shot at the CL role and Urbina he has always been a rental property. Urbina also has a great playoff resume.
d18Mike
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby GSes » Thu Jun 17, 2004 2:15 am

d18Mike wrote:
Rich Harden is not going to close for the A's at all this season and he will not move to the pen, I can guarentee that it will not happen even if the A's have no other alternatives, Beanne has killed these rumors day in and day out, but they still come around.

Gammons this week continues to beat the Harden for closer drum. He suggest that the A's need to make the decision on Harden soon or they will be dealing for a closer at the trade deadline. He seems to suggest that Rhodes and Co., are not a viable option.

To me an obvious acusition candidate is Urbina. The Tigers want to give German another shot at the CL role and Urbina he has always been a rental property. Urbina also has a great playoff resume.
[/quote]

I for one would love to see the A's get Urbina, Im really not sure if the Tigers will deal him though. He was a key part to the Marlins World Seriess run in fact they would not have won it w/o him. Sure the guy is a bit of a headcase but o well.

The A's will have no choice but to trade for a closer at the deadline or sooner then that unless either The Duke or the new kid Lehr can emerge as a closer b/c the rhodes/mecir combo is less trustworthy then a mike williams/jose mesa combo last season or a jor borowski/rocky biddle combo this year.
GSes
General Manager
General Manager

Postby GSes » Thu Jun 17, 2004 2:22 am

Ok well according to the A's offical website

Rhodes has left the team for "personal reasons", and he will not be back for a few days.
Mecir obviously isnt an option
Hammon is hurt
Rincon ERA is over 6
The Duke has an ERA over 11 in his last 4 outings
The refuse to give Bradford a shot

Everything on the A's website sounds like they are seriously going to thrust Lehr right into the closer spot. I hope he can do it and emerge as a legit closer b/c the A's desperately need it.

Barry Zito raved about him saying that his problem in the past was that he walked too many guys (funny zito should say that about someone else, look in the mirror man) and that he has apparently imporved his command. He throws a low-mid 90's fastball so his stuff is powerful and he has more then 9K's/9IP in AAA this year and struck out the side the other night.

This guy could be major sleeper material

Here is a link

http://oakland.athletics.mlb.com/NASApp ... &fext=.jsp
GSes
General Manager
General Manager

Postby wannabthechamp » Thu Jun 17, 2004 2:44 am

Would you drop Chad Cordero for Lehr?
"I'm very important. I have many leather-bound books and my apartment smells of rich mahogany. - Ron Burgundy
wannabthechamp
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers