rhodes in the 7th? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

rhodes in the 7th?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby slomo007 » Wed Jun 16, 2004 11:12 pm

GSes wrote:I will give Mecir a little credit, everytime he steps onto the mound it is a medical miracle. The man has 2 left feet. Yes, he has 2 left feet.

But he still incredibly sucks, 2 left footed piece of trash. :-D

How the heck is that possible? Did he get a leg transplant and run out of rights? 8-o
slomo007
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicEagle Eye
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby GSes » Wed Jun 16, 2004 11:13 pm

slomo007 wrote:
GSes wrote:I will give Mecir a little credit, everytime he steps onto the mound it is a medical miracle. The man has 2 left feet. Yes, he has 2 left feet.

But he still incredibly sucks, 2 left footed piece of trash. :-D

How the heck is that possible? Did he get a leg transplant and run out of rights? 8-o

LMAO

no he was born that way, club foot.
GSes
General Manager
General Manager

Postby slomo007 » Wed Jun 16, 2004 11:14 pm

Weird, I've never heard of that. I bet it confuses the heck out of the guys at Foot Locker.
slomo007
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicEagle Eye

Postby Eaglez » Wed Jun 16, 2004 11:21 pm

I've never seen Mecir pitch either but since May 5th he has given up just 2 runs in about 16 innings.

In the past month his numbers are 9.2 innings 8 Strikeouts 1.86 ERA and a 0.83 WHIP.
Eaglez
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby e » Wed Jun 16, 2004 11:31 pm

Rhodes was put in in the top of the 7th with 1 out (Womack, Cedeno up). Womack got a hit and Cedeno a GIDP.
He was left in in the 8th, down 2-3, for Pujols,Rolen,Edmonds. Lets up 3ER on 3H and 1BB while getting 2 outs. He gets ejected per CBS:
"Sanders' three-run shot off Arthur Rhodes with two outs in the eighth made it a four-run cushion. Rhodes wanted a called strike on the previous pitch, on a 2-2 count, and was ejected by plate umpire Bruce Dreckman for arguing while Sanders rounded the bases."

Bradford was in the bullpen while Rhodes was pitching in the eighth, tho the A's still were down a run. Rincon replaced Rhodes to finish the 8th.

I own Rhodes in 2 leagues and understand their reluctance to put Harden or Bradford in the closer role. So I looked at Mecir's stats. They are pretty good over the past month.
9.2 IP, 2 ER, 1.86 ERA, .83 WHIP (right on, Eaglez). I'm picking him up for the time being.
e Beginner
Little League Legend
Little League Legend

Postby bboy » Wed Jun 16, 2004 11:45 pm

Why would you not give Mecir a go. Heaven forbid tha A's have a closer that could actually get a Pujols or a Rolens out. That's what the whole freakin game is about. Pitchers get batters out (well the good pitchers anyway). Am I missing something?
bboy
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Registered_Guest » Wed Jun 16, 2004 11:45 pm

I recall one of those runs were in a save opportunity vs. the White Sox (which he blew on a Jose Valentin HR).

I don't think there's a best option here :-o
Registered_Guest
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby GSes » Wed Jun 16, 2004 11:49 pm

bboy wrote:Why would you not give Mecir a go. Heaven forbid tha A's have a closer that could actually get a Pujols or a Rolens out. That's what the whole freakin game is about. Pitchers get batters out (well the good pitchers anyway). Am I missing something?

ya you are missing something, I watch every single A's game everyday for the last 3 years. I can tell you, I would bet money maybe even my life 8-o Jim Mecir will never be a quality or even decent closer. I dont care that his stats show he has been good over the last month, his ERA is still over 5 8-o 8-o 8-o and not to mention that the runs he gave up over the last month were in the one save opp he had.

Here in the bay area Jim Mecir has a nickname

"FEAR MECIR"

Now that should mean opposing hitters should fear mecir, but we all know what it really means, it means A's fans and A's players should all FEAR MECIR b/c when he comes into the game no lead is safe.

I have said it before, I will say it again, Rocky Biddle & a Joe Borowski with shoulder damage are still better closers or RP then good old Jim Mecir.

Guy is complete trash, Ive seen him for years now, take my advice and steer clear
GSes
General Manager
General Manager

Postby slomo007 » Wed Jun 16, 2004 11:58 pm

For what it's worth to anyone....I just picked up Duke, but I am not starting him if/until he successfully converts a save opp.

I'd say as of now, he's the best bet from what GSes is saying, and I think we should believe him here.
slomo007
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicEagle Eye

Postby warrick95 » Thu Jun 17, 2004 12:00 am

Great. I just dealt M. Giles and Herges for Tex and Rhodes. Eh, at least Herges is terrible, too.

Isn't Mecir a screwball pitcher? That might get him by sometimes, right...since guys don't see that type of pitch much? But I guess when they figure it out...bam...bam...bam...
warrick95
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers