Joe Mauer... struck out only once in high school... wow - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Joe Mauer... struck out only once in high school... wow

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Joe Mauer... struck out only once in high school... wow

Postby Bwannna » Wed Jun 16, 2004 5:32 pm

If you haven't read this in the "KFFL Fantasy Swap", I thought it was pretty amazing...

C Joe Mauer, Minnesota Twins - After some very poor recent years with catching prospects, 2004 looks like the start of something big and Mauer may very well be at the top of the list. He missed two months after knee surgery, but he appears to be rounding back into form now. He has an unbelievable eye for the ball (striking out just 101 times in 1,030 minor league at-bats) and could be the best hitting catcher since New York Mets C Mike Piazza burst onto the scene, although no one should expect that kind of power from Mauer anytime soon.

One thing that he has on Piazza is his defense, as he can get the ball to second in speeds up to and beyond 90 MPH. Maybe that helps to explain how he was an All-American QB as a senior in high school. He threw for 41 touchdowns and only three interceptions, which left Florida State disappointed when he chose baseball over football. Another amazing feat was the fact that he struck out just once in high school.
Bwannna
College Coach
College Coach

Home Cafe: Baseball

a

Postby JOEG » Wed Jun 16, 2004 5:35 pm

Cool didn't know that but it doesn't surprise me

He has looked spectacular so far

And DO NOT believe the "He has no power" hype. He has it allready. He crushes the ball every time... I would be real surprised if he doesn't hit 15-20 this year and a CRAP load of doubles and RBI's.

I love wathcing him work the count.
Poop
JOEG
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Re: a

Postby slomo007 » Wed Jun 16, 2004 5:36 pm

JOEG wrote:Cool didn't know that but it doesn't surprise me

He has looked spectacular so far

And DO NOT believe the "He has no power" hype. He has it allready. He crushes the ball every time... I would be real surprised if he doesn't hit 15-20 this year and a CRAP load of doubles and RBI's.

I love wathcing him work the count.

Yep, I've been saying the same thing, but nobody's believing me....he's going to be a stud very very very soon.
slomo007
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicEagle Eye

Postby godallahstar » Wed Jun 16, 2004 5:38 pm

no, no.
you're wrong.

he does not have the power - yet,
yes, i agree, i do think he will have power, but not yet.

he may hit 10 homers off righties, but my guess is he will only knock out a few off lefties, if any..
godallahstar
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

haha

Postby JOEG » Wed Jun 16, 2004 5:46 pm

godallahstar wrote:no, no.
you're wrong.

he does not have the power - yet,
yes, i agree, i do think he will have power, but not yet.

he may hit 10 homers off righties, but my guess is he will only knock out a few off lefties, if any..

Haha, I've watched every single AB this year, and I can't believe for a second that he's not going to hit 20! And with 3/4 of a year that is pretty damn good.

Ok he's hit two allready and I do know that almost homers don't count but he has hit one off the hanky and also hooked one just by the foul pole. He might not have Thome power but he has enough power to get 20 out this year.

Watch him play
Poop
JOEG
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby TreeRucker » Wed Jun 16, 2004 6:01 pm

i didn't strick out my whole senior year either., and i wasn't even good enuff to hit at the college level., i had to be a pitcher., so that's not as impressive as it sounds., he will be a flop.....something that is more impressive is a kid here in new york city batting .890 for the year., he just got drafted, and his high school coach says he is better then manny ramierez was at this time when he coached him in high school.....

if u care his last name is salome he got drafted in this year's draft
"you couldn't get the crowd to throw their hands up if you swallowed all their fingers"
TreeRucker
College Coach
College Coach

Postby Amazinz » Wed Jun 16, 2004 6:07 pm

TreeRucker wrote:he will be a flop

Who Mauer? You're crazy if you don't think Mauer will be great or at the very least, very good. I agree not K-ing in HS is no big deal but no way he's a flop. ;-)
Maine has a good swing for a pitcher but on anything that moves, he has no chance. And if it's a fastball, it has to be up in the zone. Basically, the pitcher has to hit his bat. - Mike Pelfrey
Amazinz
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Re: haha

Postby godallahstar » Wed Jun 16, 2004 7:28 pm

JOEG wrote:
Haha, I've watched every single AB this year, and I can't believe for a second that he's not going to hit 20! And with 3/4 of a year that is pretty damn good.

Ok he's hit two allready and I do know that almost homers don't count but he has hit one off the hanky and also hooked one just by the foul pole. He might not have Thome power but he has enough power to get 20 out this year.

Watch him play

i live in st. paul, i watch the twins often and go to a couple games a month, and am very impressed with him.

however, 20 home runs for a catcher who has already missed 2 months - and will probably top out at around 350 at bats, is quite a stretch.
godallahstar
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby hybrid » Wed Jun 16, 2004 7:32 pm

TreeRucker wrote:i didn't strick out my whole senior year either., and i wasn't even good enuff to hit at the college level., i had to be a pitcher., so that's not as impressive as it sounds., he will be a flop.....something that is more impressive is a kid here in new york city batting .890 for the year., he just got drafted, and his high school coach says he is better then manny ramierez was at this time when he coached him in high school.....

if u care his last name is salome he got drafted in this year's draft

Better then manny at what? Also funny how he is supposedly better then manny at the same time, but no other scout saw it enough to make him anything more then a 5th round pick. Not to mention he is pretty damn small at 5'7". In any case you have no credit since you can call Mauer a flop w/ nothing to back it up.

Other things you have to consider is how weak the competition was that he faced. The majority of competition up north is not as good due to the short amount of time they can play per year. He had a very small sample size to, only 49 at bats.

edited to say: I did a search and didn't find anything saying Salome was better, the coach said Salome is the best hitter he has coached "since" Manny.
Last edited by hybrid on Wed Jun 16, 2004 7:45 pm, edited 4 times in total.
hybrid
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy Expert

Postby thetongueofire » Wed Jun 16, 2004 7:35 pm

Maeur's only 21.. expecting 20 or even from him this year in a 100 games when hes only shown negligible power in the minors is a stretch imo.. lol.. i belive all the hype that hes gonna be the best catcher in the years to come but hes not gonna be a "stud" this year def.
[size=10]Manny Ramirez....$20 million
Pedro Martinez....$17.5 million
Curt Schilling...$12 million (and a $2 million bonus)
Never hearing a Yankee fan chant 1918 again...priceless. [/size]
thetongueofire
General Manager
General Manager

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers