All-2007 team - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

All-2007 team

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby warrick95 » Thu Jun 17, 2004 8:58 pm

hybrid wrote:The only way Gathright I think starts in the OF is if Crawford or Rocco are traded OR Rocco has the arm enough to play RF. Cause if he doesn't, then Delmon can't play 1st since we would need him to play RF. Even though Gathright is real fast, it isn't like Rocco or Crawford are slow, both are extremely fast in their own right. I can see them maybe altering in the future so Gathright won't always be the DH though.

Check out Pouliot's latest Prospects article. He says that Baldelli could switch to RF with Gathright up. I wouldn't be surprised to see that either, because Baldelli has a cannon. He also mentions that we may try to move Cruz to make room.
warrick95
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby warrick95 » Thu Jun 17, 2004 8:59 pm

LBJackal wrote:What about the other OF spot, even if TB keeps all 5 young stud OF's? Would it be Hamilton or Gathright? I'd think Gathright, but I'm not sure about Hamilton's defense. Just can't see a guy like Gathright DHing when horrible defenders like Huff, and an out-of-position Delmon Young are patrolling the field. Somebody will be traded....and we don't even know if Hamilton will ever survive the minors let alone make it to the majors. Too bad, cuz he could have been/still could be a star some day.

Well, we have Huff locked up long and he's a tremendous bat. His glove is shoddy everywhere and if we keep all the OFs, there's no way we could fit Huff in, other than at 3B. Again, it was just hypothetical. I agree on Hamilton, though. If it's RF, I'd prefer Hamilton for the above reasons.
warrick95
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby warrick95 » Thu Jun 17, 2004 9:00 pm

hybrid wrote:Yeah I know the rumors your talking about w/ trading a OF. I just don't think they will, most people and fans view Crawford as a corner stone and he just keeps getting better. They have no real reason to trade him now for pitching cause they aren't going to be playing for the playoffs any time soon most likely. Also you have to take into account that Lamar who makes most of the big decisions loves athletic/tool players, maybe even so much to a flaw. Rocco also looks like he will be signing a contract extension soon. I can list more reasons as to why I don't think they will but i'm sure you get the idea.

I don't think the rumor ever started on any evidence except we seem to have a lot of OF's, prolly just a reporter giving an opinion. Gathright I believe will be called up later at the end of this year and split time at DH, LF, and CF. Not sure about the whole Cruz situation next year though and what will happen w/ him.

Huff is pretty much a 1B, DH, 3B now. He hasn't played any OF this year and I doubt he ever will again for this club unless there is an emergency.

I may be wrong but didn't Figgins also play the IF as well as the OF before? Not 3b until recently, but 2nd or SS?

That's all true and I agree. Huff's glove is terrible...so...

Figgs was a minor league SS...
warrick95
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby hybrid » Thu Jun 17, 2004 9:30 pm

warrick95 wrote:
hybrid wrote:The only way Gathright I think starts in the OF is if Crawford or Rocco are traded OR Rocco has the arm enough to play RF. Cause if he doesn't, then Delmon can't play 1st since we would need him to play RF. Even though Gathright is real fast, it isn't like Rocco or Crawford are slow, both are extremely fast in their own right. I can see them maybe altering in the future so Gathright won't always be the DH though.

Check out Pouliot's latest Prospects article. He says that Baldelli could switch to RF with Gathright up. I wouldn't be surprised to see that either, because Baldelli has a cannon. He also mentions that we may try to move Cruz to make room.

Yeah I thought Rocco had the arm for RF, but I wasn't 100% sure. If this happens then Young might just be forced to play 1B, hate to waste an arm like that at 1st though. But seeing as we would have the fastest OF in the majors, it would prolly make up for anythng we lose for not having Delmon's arm in RF. Also like you mentioned, Rocco's arm is pretty good too.
hybrid
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy Expert

Previous

Return to Baseball Leftovers