All-2007 team - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

All-2007 team

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby LBJackal » Thu Jun 17, 2004 2:41 am

Well I've always heard that before bringing up Gathright, they'd trade an OF. With Cruz taking up space right now, it's hard to fir Gathright in the lineup. That's what I hear anyway. And Delmon out of position I mean playing 1B, not OF. Huff also plays/played OF and 1B, which I'm sure Gathright could do just as well at, or better. 3B I don't see him playing, but hey Anaheim put Chone Figgins there (similar player to Gathright - all speed).

"Jack, will you call me, if you're able?"

"I've got your phone number written, in the back of my Bible."
LBJackal
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Pick 3 Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby hybrid » Thu Jun 17, 2004 2:55 am

Yeah I know the rumors your talking about w/ trading a OF. I just don't think they will, most people and fans view Crawford as a corner stone and he just keeps getting better. They have no real reason to trade him now for pitching cause they aren't going to be playing for the playoffs any time soon most likely. Also you have to take into account that Lamar who makes most of the big decisions loves athletic/tool players, maybe even so much to a flaw. Rocco also looks like he will be signing a contract extension soon. I can list more reasons as to why I don't think they will but i'm sure you get the idea.

I don't think the rumor ever started on any evidence except we seem to have a lot of OF's, prolly just a reporter giving an opinion. Gathright I believe will be called up later at the end of this year and split time at DH, LF, and CF. Not sure about the whole Cruz situation next year though and what will happen w/ him.

Huff is pretty much a 1B, DH, 3B now. He hasn't played any OF this year and I doubt he ever will again for this club unless there is an emergency.

I may be wrong but didn't Figgins also play the IF as well as the OF before? Not 3b until recently, but 2nd or SS?
hybrid
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy Expert

Postby LBJackal » Thu Jun 17, 2004 3:00 am

He's a utility guy I think, and has played 5 positoins already this year. Mostly CF until this season though. He's gotta be one of the smallest 3B's in a long time, at only 5-8 160 lbs. That's like me when I was 12 :-o

"Jack, will you call me, if you're able?"

"I've got your phone number written, in the back of my Bible."
LBJackal
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Pick 3 Weekly Winner

Postby nmarq8 » Thu Jun 17, 2004 3:20 am

great post, but where's vlad...
"24 hours in a day, 24 beers in a case. Coincidence? I think not."
nmarq8
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby JRM4833 » Thu Jun 17, 2004 9:07 am

nmarq8 wrote:great post, but where's vlad...

Thats exactly what I was thinking. Rocco has the potential to be a very good player in the future, but Vlad is nasty and will likely be putting up similar numbers for years. Seems the article leaned more towards 30/30 OFs. I can understand him not being put in that category as he really doesnt steal much. But thats what happens with most players as they get better because management doesnt want their big investment getting hurt sliding or running bases.

General Manager
General Manager

(Past Year: 5)

Postby thehat » Thu Jun 17, 2004 9:16 am

As a native Rhode Islander, I'm a big Rocco Baldelli fan. And he does indeed have significant five tool potential. But to list him as a fantasy All Star OF in 2007 over Vladimir Guerrero or Bobby Abreu is nutso.

He's also got Fielder as his DH...maybe he's got some inside info on teh Brewers mvoing back to the AL? Otherwise, Prince is not a DH.

Most of the names on the list are obvious, along with the usual long shot stab and the blatant error. Seems like these are part of the required formula for most of the stories I see.
thehat
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicFantasy Expert

Postby BigMusky » Thu Jun 17, 2004 9:33 am

No Prior, Wood, Clement, Zambrano? These guys are all awesome now and are only getting better.
BigMusky
General Manager
General Manager

Sweet 16 Survivor

Postby hybrid » Thu Jun 17, 2004 5:46 pm

BigMusky wrote:No Prior, Wood, Clement, Zambrano? These guys are all awesome now and are only getting better.

Prior is the 1st starting pitcher named, maybe you just missed it.

Zambrano is honorable mention as a starting pitcher

Also I think he took into account youth w/ this list so that is prolly the reason Wood isn't on it. Because in 3 years I think he would be 30 or so then. Not that 30 is old but he wanted to make the list the top young stars of the future. As far as Clement, you must be a cubs fan, cause while he is good ..he's not as nearly as good as the other 3 you named.
hybrid
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy Expert

Postby warrick95 » Thu Jun 17, 2004 8:54 pm

hybrid wrote:
warrick95 wrote:Dewon Brazelton, remember, was the #2 overall pick in 2001.

Actually the #3 pick :-b

Though I agree with everything else you've said. I hope Hamilton just gets his life together, it's really said what he has been through.

BTW Warrick, you live around the TB area?

Right, my mistake. ;-)

Hamilton's definitely a horrible story. There was an article in the latest ESPN the Mag about him (it's also on ESPN Insider). He's definitely getting better it seems and opened up a lot. Apparently, Hamilton is making progress in his personal life and got through his latest rehab assignment this month. Hopefully he gets his life straightened out even further.

And no, I'm from Charlottesville, VA. Chose the Devil Rays because I have a liking for rebuilding, young, exciting teams.
warrick95
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby warrick95 » Thu Jun 17, 2004 8:56 pm

LBJackal wrote:I don't think one of the fastest players in baseball will DH.......he's supposed to ba a good OF I think and would probably unseat Hamilton or Young.

I know that, but being a skinnier speedier guy, I don't know if you'd want that arm in right, especially if he's Pierrelike on defense, too. Typically, a rightfielder should have a cannon for an arm. Hamilton has that, Young's arm is decent.

I put Young at 1st because I ran out of options. That's just a hypothetical lineup, though. I doubt we'll see all of them together, though it'd be super.
warrick95
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers