I Like Michael Barrett - and I'm a Cards Fan!!! - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

I Like Michael Barrett - and I'm a Cards Fan!!!

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

I Like Michael Barrett - and I'm a Cards Fan!!!

Postby StlSluggers » Wed Jun 16, 2004 2:46 pm

I see a lot of Barrett-bashing in posts around here, and I just wanted to say that I don't think he's nearly as bad as what everyone is saying. I don't think he'll be a consistantly-producing catcher long-term, but I think he will be a perfectly capable fantasy catcher for the rest of the year.

I drafted Barrett as my backup C in my keeper league just in case LoDuca didn't work out. I ended up trading LoDuca - for more reasons than just Barrett - partly because I felt that Barrett was capable of handling the spot on my roster just as well as LoDuca was. So far, I have not regretted the trade one bit, and I don't believe I will regret it later in the season, either.

Long-term, I plan on keeping Barrett and then trading him away early next season for a draft pick. I'm sure someone will be interested in him, but if not, I will stick him as the backup again. Who knows? Maybe he'll produce again next year. At 28, he still has a couple of good years left...

-Stl
StlSluggers
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterWeb Supporter
(Past Year: 10)
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Parking in the gov't bldg @ 7th and Pine. It's only $3.00 on game day!

Re: I Like Michael Barrett - and I'm a Cards Fan!!!

Postby trailblazur » Wed Jun 16, 2004 6:28 pm

StlSluggers wrote:I see a lot of Barrett-bashing in posts around here, and I just wanted to say that I don't think he's nearly as bad as what everyone is saying. I don't think he'll be a consistantly-producing catcher long-term, but I think he will be a perfectly capable fantasy catcher for the rest of the year.

I drafted Barrett as my backup C in my keeper league just in case LoDuca didn't work out. I ended up trading LoDuca - for more reasons than just Barrett - partly because I felt that Barrett was capable of handling the spot on my roster just as well as LoDuca was. So far, I have not regretted the trade one bit, and I don't believe I will regret it later in the season, either.

Long-term, I plan on keeping Barrett and then trading him away early next season for a draft pick. I'm sure someone will be interested in him, but if not, I will stick him as the backup again. Who knows? Maybe he'll produce again next year. At 28, he still has a couple of good years left...

-Stl

You should be banned from using the "STL" name. We never say we like a baby bear, MAN WHATS WRONG WITH YOU??? :-P
trailblazur
College Coach
College Coach

Postby mwb743s » Wed Jun 16, 2004 6:54 pm

8-o keep that to yourself would ya!!

I will admit that he has exceeded all expectations but I still hate him for one obvious reason!
mwb743s
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Location: Al Hrabosky's Ballpark Saloon taking a leak in the urinal in front of the double sided mirror!

Postby thetongueofire » Wed Jun 16, 2004 7:02 pm

"I'm a Red Sox fan and i like Enrique Wilson" :-D
[size=10]Manny Ramirez....$20 million
Pedro Martinez....$17.5 million
Curt Schilling...$12 million (and a $2 million bonus)
Never hearing a Yankee fan chant 1918 again...priceless. [/size]
thetongueofire
General Manager
General Manager

Re: I Like Michael Barrett - and I'm a Cards Fan!!!

Postby StlSluggers » Thu Jun 17, 2004 9:23 am

You should be banned from using the "STL" name. We never say we like a baby bear, MAN WHATS WRONG WITH YOU??? :-P

It's like sibling rivalry. You fight tooth-and-nail against your own (in this case, the Cubbies), but when someone else jumps in, you have to defend them. So that means...
  • I don't want Barrett to hit when he's playing our Cards,
  • All other times he should swing for the fences, and
  • I rooted for the Cubs in the playoffs. If it can't be us, I want it to be them.
But my point from the beginning is that I think Barrett is a legitimate hitter, if only for this year. I don't expect he's going to fade as the year goes on.

However, I do expect him to choke in the post-season. He wouldn't be a Cubbie if he didn't...

!+)
StlSluggers
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterWeb Supporter
(Past Year: 10)
Location: Parking in the gov't bldg @ 7th and Pine. It's only $3.00 on game day!

Return to Baseball Leftovers