Yahoo cant cut list controversy - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Yahoo cant cut list controversy

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: Yahoo cant cut list controversy

Postby irishdude103 » Wed Jun 16, 2004 12:48 pm

riverrat wrote:The commish opted for the Yahoo cant cut list.(over my objections)
Now, the 1st place team wants to drop Posada(on list) and he let him!!!!
Your opinions. Should the rule be applied to all or should there be exceptions?
I say to all. We have a chance to pick-up some ground on him by not dropping Posada. He's should be stuck with the stiff.

well if the commish lets him do it and not play by the rules you should go ahead and pick up Posada and see what the guy who dropped Posada thinks after he hit 301 and Barrett hits 211
irishdude103
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 1)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby wannabthechamp » Wed Jun 16, 2004 12:51 pm

How would the guy be able to drop Posada if he's on Yahoo's Can't Cut list? I don't believe he can drop him and the commish can't do anything to change that, right?
"I'm very important. I have many leather-bound books and my apartment smells of rich mahogany. - Ron Burgundy
wannabthechamp
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby riverrat » Wed Jun 16, 2004 12:54 pm

Nope. Yahoo allowed it. In another league I'm in, after the draft the commish upped the min inngs from 20 to 40!!! Yahoo nowhere around, as usual. But thats what you get for FREE. A lot of bull$hit and cheating.
riverrat
College Coach
College Coach

Postby thetongueofire » Wed Jun 16, 2004 1:40 pm

dropping Posada for Barrett.. thsi thread is too funny :-)

:-D
[size=10]Manny Ramirez....$20 million
Pedro Martinez....$17.5 million
Curt Schilling...$12 million (and a $2 million bonus)
Never hearing a Yankee fan chant 1918 again...priceless. [/size]
thetongueofire
General Manager
General Manager

Postby great gretzky » Wed Jun 16, 2004 1:42 pm

well the idea of a can't cut list that is absoloute is quite scary. I guess rules are rules. But what if you get hamstrung with a player who isn't hurt but jsut sucks this year? that isn't fair either -- not that posada sucks mind you. if he is in first, it is a little harder to argue.

maybe he realized that since the rosters are small, he could cut posada, knowing full well that he would get taken -- BUT there are enough good options on the wire that he is just gonna ride the hot hand.

did he use the roster spot freed up from posada for another hto commodity?

tough to say, but I lean towards giving managers leeway to manage.
great gretzky
General Manager
General Manager

Cafeholic

Postby Lofunzo » Wed Jun 16, 2004 1:50 pm

I personally hate the Can't Cut List. I don't like anyone telling me who I can't drop. What happens if Pujols tears up his knee in a non-keeper league and I wanna drop him?? I have to wait until Yahoo decides to update the list. If the CCL was chosen, then I think that it should be in effect all of the time. If any exceptions are made, it should be if someone wants to drop a player that is having season-ending surgery.
Lofunzo

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerEagle EyeHockey ModPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 11)

Postby Super GM » Wed Jun 16, 2004 2:05 pm

thehat wrote:Hell, if he wants to keep Barrett over Posada, I suppose you ought to let him.

But really, rules are rules and unless a player is injured he should be forced to keep him according to your league's rules.
Ditto! ;-D
Super GM
General Manager
General Manager

Postby matmat » Wed Jun 16, 2004 2:31 pm

i think that has been mentioned above, but...

the issue that the list triest to address is dumping... it does so very poorly, as I've already had a person dump in a public league (he has chavez, manny and smoltz left, but everyone else is gone).
it is not there to prevent a manager from cutting a plater that he is dissatisfied with.

what they should do is prohibit the roster from being smaller than a certain size... say 17 players for a 21 player team, or something like that.
Give a man a fish and he'll eat for a day, teach a man to fish and he'll drown because you forgot to teach him to swim.
[url=http://www.indra.com/8ball/front.html]Invaluable Fantasy Baseball Resource[/url]
matmat
General Manager
General Manager

Postby Urge » Wed Jun 16, 2004 3:04 pm

Rules should never, ever be changed mid-game.
Urge
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby phunkadelic » Wed Jun 16, 2004 3:11 pm

Well, it's silly for him to want to dump Posada, but answering your question: It would be very wrong for the commish to change the rules at all, not for you, not for the 1st place team.

Tell him that next year he's free to do whatever he wants (and keep this in mind as he's setting next year's rules), but a rule is rule and can't be broken mid-year.
phunkadelic
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Pick 3 Weekly Winner

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers