Contrarian Waiver Wire Strategy - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Contrarian Waiver Wire Strategy

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Contrarian Waiver Wire Strategy

Postby d18Mike » Wed Jun 16, 2004 11:16 am

Just wondering if anyone marches to the same drummer as I do in terms of completely ignoring a high waiver wire priority as a possible competitive advantage.

I'm in a 12-team, and there is such a prevailing paranoia about making a WW claim that most of the owners are paralyzed. So much so that grabbing a good player usually come down to who has the best Internet connection the nanosecond he falls into the FA pool.

Noting this, I've just said, forget it, and just use the waiver pickup on every occasion a guy comes onto the market I'm interested in. I'm typically 11th or 12th priority, but others paranoia about "wasting a claim" has really played to my advantage. I think the short term quality pick-ups I've made by using the wire will outstrip the contribution of any big name claim.

Let's face it. How often does a must-have superstar drop onto the wire in 12-team. Once maybe twice a year. In a 10-team there are so many decent FA options, that it's not even an issue.

Well, it has worked for me.

Thoughts?
d18Mike
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Lofunzo » Wed Jun 16, 2004 11:22 am

Any time that I'm somewhere between 8-12 in a 12-team league, I will just use it. Others, I try to analyze it to see whether someone would pick up the player. I also play in a league where most use their waiver priority. It's easy when no one uses it.
Lofunzo

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerEagle EyeHockey ModPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 11)

Postby thehat » Wed Jun 16, 2004 11:51 am

Waiver priority has a lot more importance in AL only or NL only leagues. In a universal league, the only edge to holding a high priority is if there are quick triggered owners in the league that cast loose "buy low" talent too soon.
thehat
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicFantasy Expert

Postby slomo007 » Wed Jun 16, 2004 11:52 am

thehat wrote:Waiver priority has a lot more importance in AL only or NL only leagues. In a universal league, the only edge to holding a high priority is if there are quick triggered owners in the league that cast loose "buy low" talent too soon.

Agreed, however there are notable exceptions...I personally am holding out for Upton.
slomo007
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicEagle Eye

Postby BigMusky » Wed Jun 16, 2004 12:51 pm

I got burned by that exact thing on Ben Sheets early (april). I thought he would hit the FA market and a guy grabbed him with the last pick. I am up to the #1 slot though now...so maybe it will work out that I can get another top 10 pitcher (yeah right).
BigMusky
General Manager
General Manager

Sweet 16 Survivor

Postby matmat » Wed Jun 16, 2004 2:40 pm

i've done that in the past... this year, however, I "wasted" a relatively high priority on randy winn, among others...
Give a man a fish and he'll eat for a day, teach a man to fish and he'll drown because you forgot to teach him to swim.
[url=http://www.indra.com/8ball/front.html]Invaluable Fantasy Baseball Resource[/url]
matmat
General Manager
General Manager

Postby john gardner » Wed Jun 16, 2004 3:33 pm

You make an excellent point. thanks,
john gardner
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby mikcou » Wed Jun 16, 2004 3:43 pm

in a normal 12 team league it doesnt really mean much i usually just use it when i see a player I want
mikcou
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Mock(ing) Drafter

Postby Trazcon » Wed Jun 16, 2004 5:03 pm

I'm usually 11th or 12th too. I could care less about high waiver priority. If I don't pick up that "superstar" that's ok. My best waiver wire pick up was Carlos Beltran a few years ago.
"I think they out to get me, helpless was livin' sinful. If you was me all this pain I'm feelin would been done killed you"-- Nas
Trazcon
College Coach
College Coach

Return to Baseball Leftovers