Francisco Rodriguez--Next Years Angel's Opening Day Closer? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Francisco Rodriguez--Next Years Angel's Opening Day Closer?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Francisco Rodriguez--Next Years Angel's Opening Day Closer?

Postby Joe Mauer » Wed Jun 16, 2004 2:16 am

Troy Percival is injured and the Angels are seeing what Rodriguez can do in the closer role and he's succeeding. Plus, he's getting all the opportunities until Percival comes back.

Percival will have his walking papers this offseason. What percentage chance do you see Rodriguez being named the opening day closer for the Angels next season?

He's available in my keeper league, and I am looking towards next season. ;-D ;-D ;-D

Pierz,Castro,Tulo,Espinosa,Gyorko,Goldschmidt,Encarna,Howard,Carter,Cespedes,Marte,Soriano,Brown,Ludwick,Smoak
Strasbg,King F,Harvey,Scherzer,Teheran,Street,Jansen,Hernandez
BA 5,HR 9.5,R 4,RBI 6,SB 2,ERA 12,H+S 8,K 11,W 7.5,WHIP 11,TOT 76 pt 3rd
Joe Mauer
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 9)
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Standing outside the Metrodome singing "We're going to win Twins, We're going to score...."

Postby Tavish » Wed Jun 16, 2004 2:20 am

Isn't K-Rod a free agent at the end of this year as well? Time to pony up the cash. Can't really think of any other big-market teams in desperate need of a closer so I would assume he resigns. No matter if he resigns I'll give him a 99% chance of closing *somewhere* next year.

Bury me a Royal.
Tavish
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterWeb Supporter
(Past Year: 34)

Postby nmarq8 » Wed Jun 16, 2004 2:25 am

hmm, i'd pick him up just because your logic is correct. but being from southern california, i know sciossia and he's not the type of guy to just turn his back on a guy because he gets hurt, especially a pitcher, especially a good one. percival's been a very good closer for the angles for a bunch of years, so my gut instinct tells me that he's their man. but far crazier things have happened in the offseason. but in a keeper league, f-rod will be special next year and for a while in some way.
"24 hours in a day, 24 beers in a case. Coincidence? I think not."
nmarq8
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby d18Mike » Wed Jun 16, 2004 2:27 am

He's available in your keeper league? Are you in a one or a two-team league? ;-)
d18Mike
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby Joe Mauer » Wed Jun 16, 2004 2:33 am

Haha......12 team league here. I need to be relatively sure he's likely to be the closer next season to make the move to pick him up.

This season I'm in the dump, so I'm trying to get the jump on next season. I would only be able to keep him for next season. Does anyone know FOR SURE his contract status???

Pierz,Castro,Tulo,Espinosa,Gyorko,Goldschmidt,Encarna,Howard,Carter,Cespedes,Marte,Soriano,Brown,Ludwick,Smoak
Joe Mauer
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Location: Standing outside the Metrodome singing "We're going to win Twins, We're going to score...."

Postby KolbSaves » Wed Jun 16, 2004 2:36 am

He's been taken since the preseason draft in all of my leagues (all non keeper) so I don't see why you shouldn't just pick him up regardless of closing or not, contract or not.
"If I have seen further it is by standing on the shoulders of giants."
-Isaac Newton
KolbSaves
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Joe Mauer » Wed Jun 16, 2004 2:40 am

Thanks Kolb......
Closers go at a high premium in our league come draft day, and if indeed he is the closer going into next season then on draft day he'd probably be a $19 to $22 player. I'm going to drop McDougal and pick him up for our league manditory $10 salary. If he is indeed the closer I can carry him over next year for $11. If not, I just wasted one of my few precious moves this year on a good gamble (I only have 3 roster moves left in a lost season). :~(

Joe Mauer
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby KolbSaves » Wed Jun 16, 2004 2:44 am

worse comes to worse you have who might very well be the best middle reliever in the game

he'll help out ratios and k's
"If I have seen further it is by standing on the shoulders of giants."
-Isaac Newton
KolbSaves
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby cafe_58 » Wed Jun 16, 2004 2:45 am

Does any one think that he could keep the job this season? He's been money. Gagne-like. I know that Percival's good and the loyalty thing is there, but F-Rod can definitely shoulder the load. On a team that should win a lot of games, I would thing it would make sense fantasy and real world wise. Especially if Percival can't return to his old self.
cafe_58
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Location: You can find me in da dome, chillin wit Jarome.......

Postby KeyWestCorona » Wed Jun 16, 2004 8:52 am

I would have to hand him the ball. Percy has been only a shadow of his dominant former self and very fragile at that. He will not be asked back next year, so they may as well make get the team used to the idea...also work on trading Percy before the deadline.
The weather is here. I wish you were beautiful.
KeyWestCorona
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers