Francisco Rodriguez--Next Years Angel's Opening Day Closer? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Francisco Rodriguez--Next Years Angel's Opening Day Closer?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby INKcogKNEEdough » Wed Jun 16, 2004 9:44 am

i havent read the rest of the responses but i will say quickly before i do,,,,,,pick him up,,,,,pick him up NOW,,,,nooooo pick him up YESTERDAY!!!! He should be on someones team in pretty much ANY league at this point. In KEEPER league though? The thought of him NOT being taken in a keeper league is mind boggling! I drafted him THIS year Specifically for next year and he may very well be the #1 keeper in the league certainly top 5 at least. Percival is done IMHO......Scoscia will HAVE to say all the right things 'percival is my closer yada yada' and may even put him back in the role when he comes off the DL, BUT if KROD keeps pitching anything close to what he has so far this year the fans will MAKE scossia Leave Krod in there.

just my opinion,

INKcogKNEEdough
"There was shrinkage!".....(George costanza)

Http://www.briliantdonkey.blogspot.com
INKcogKNEEdough
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby brdmaverick » Wed Jun 16, 2004 9:48 am

I'm shocked that he is a free agent. PICK HIM UP NOW. If you don't, someone else will, and you'll be kicking yourself.
brdmaverick
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Home Cafe: Football

Postby slomo007 » Wed Jun 16, 2004 9:48 am

Gotta agree...I would be surprised if Percival finishes the year as the closer.
slomo007
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicEagle Eye

Postby Joe Mauer » Wed Jun 16, 2004 1:06 pm

Well.....I was at the Comish's house last night when I discovered he was still a free agent (much to my surprise)....and I put a request in for him a few hours later (late into the night) so even though I haven't heard anything yet I'd be shocked if I didn't get him. Thanks for all the replys, they have made me very comfortable with my decision. ;-D

Pierz,Castro,Tulo,Espinosa,Gyorko,Goldschmidt,Encarna,Howard,Carter,Cespedes,Marte,Soriano,Brown,Ludwick,Smoak
Strasbg,King F,Harvey,Scherzer,Teheran,Street,Jansen,Hernandez
BA 5,HR 9.5,R 4,RBI 6,SB 2,ERA 12,H+S 8,K 11,W 7.5,WHIP 11,TOT 76 pt 3rd
Joe Mauer
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 2)
Location: Standing outside the Metrodome singing "We're going to win Twins, We're going to score...."

Postby Urge » Wed Jun 16, 2004 3:12 pm

Whether or not Perci finishes this year as the closer, Krod is the man next year. Perci won't be coming back.
Urge
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby donut » Wed Jun 16, 2004 3:27 pm

Urge wrote:Whether or not Perci finishes this year as the closer, Krod is the man next year. Perci won't be coming back.

;-D right on. percy's a FA next year and the angles have no interest in signing him. k-rod is not a FA next year. he did sign a one year contract but k-rod still has at least another couple of years before he's a FA.
Can anyone explain how the MLB's FA eligebility works? how many years before a player obtains unrestricted FA eligebility and when they qualify for arbitration.
donut Beginner
College Coach
College Coach

Postby Tavish » Wed Jun 16, 2004 3:46 pm

When a player is drafted the team own the player for six minor league years. Once the player reaches the big league team they are not eligible for arbitration for 3 years (4 if the ownership is smart and doesnt let the player break camp with the team ala Greinke). Players underneath these restrictions are normally considered phase 1 players. They have very little rights and must take basically what the team pays them (minimum salary considered).

When those players reach arbitration eligible they move into phase 2 players. After 6 years of major league service players have full free agency rights and are considered phase 3 players.

In my orginal post I thought K-Rod had come up during the 01 season which would make him a phase 2 player at the end of this year. But he came up in 02 and will be arbitration eligible at the end of next year (assuming the Angels don't up his contract to something more reasonable than the 375K he makes now).

Bury me a Royal.
Tavish
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterWeb Supporter
(Past Year: 25)

Previous

Return to Baseball Leftovers