IN NEED PITCHING HELP - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

IN NEED PITCHING HELP

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

IN NEED PITCHING HELP

Postby Bliz34 » Wed Jul 03, 2002 12:14 pm

SOMEONE TELL ME WHO IS REAL DEAL AND WHO ISN'T THIS IS WHAT I THINK AND I WANT TO KNOW IF I AM OFF BASED OR NOT.

TIM HUDSON IS GOING TO TURN IT AROUND AND BE UNBELIEVABLE IN THE SECOND HALF.

BARRY ZITO IS GOOD BUT NOT AS GOOD AS HE HAS PLAYED IN THE FIRST HALF

THERE IS NO WAY VICENTE PADILLA CAN KEEP UP HIS PERFORMANCE.

JAVIER VAZQUEZ IS NASTY AND WILL KICK ASS IN THE SECOND HALF

TONY ARMAS JR. MAY BE BETTER THAN VAZQUEZ.

ROY OSWALT WILL BE THE BEST PITCHER IN BASEBALL IN 2 YEARS. STARTING HIS RUN IN THE SECOND HALF OF THIS SEASON.

DEREK LOWE IS GOING TO FALL

WHO THE HELL IS ODALIS PEREZ????? IS HE CAPABLE OF DOING THIS ALL YEAR AND WINNING THE CY YOUNG?

THESE ARE ALL THINGS THAT I ASK MYSELF AND THINK ABOUT WHEN DECIDING WHO TO PICK UP EACH WEEK IN MY HUGE INDEPENDANT FANTASY LEAGUE. RIGHT NOW I HAVE QUESTIONS ON WHO TO HAVE FAITH IN AND WHO TO JUMP SHIP ON.

I DON'T WANT TO SPEND ALL MY SALARYCAP ON RANDY JOHNSON OR SHILLING OR PEDRO IF POSSIBLE. I THINK I CAN GET MORE PRODUCTIVITY FROM RELYING ON THESE YOUNG LESS EXPENSIVE ACES I MENTIONED EARLIER. THESE GUYS ARE GOING TO GIVE ME A HEARTATTACK THOUGH I SWEAR.

I ALSO LOOK OUT FOR NEW YOUNG GUYS WHO PUT UP GREAT STATS LIKE I HAD RODRIGO LOPEZ(BAL) WHO I ABANDONED BUT MILKED HIM FOR SOME GOOD NUMBERS... MY NEW GUY IS JOHAN SANTANA (MIN) IS HE AS GOOD AS HE'S STARTED OFF TO BE?

IF ANYONE HAS ANY OTHER SLEEPERS OR ADVICE ON ANY OF THESE GUYS IT WOULD BE APPRECIATED.. THANKS
Bliz34
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Home Cafe: Baseball

Bliz

Postby Tmmm » Wed Jul 03, 2002 12:20 pm

Who are currently on your team? I think that's easier for us to help you with an answer
Tmmm

Home Cafe: Football
Friendliness: %

Postby Arlo » Wed Jul 03, 2002 12:56 pm

I agree about Hudson: he remains a premier starter and is starting to heat up. He makes a great acquisition now.

Zito's numbers so far are actually very similar to what he put up last year. Will he win 20? Maybe, maybe not, but I look for him to continue pitching at his current level.

Both Zito and Hudson could use an outing or two with low pitch counts, however.

Agreed about Padilla as well.

Vazquez is indeed nasty; he was hit hard in his last two outings, but I'm not worried about him. If Montreal is serious about making a push for the pennant, he might even get some better run support.

Armas has looked awfully good lately. I don't think he's quite at Vazquez' level, but he's still a solid pickup.

Oswalt's also been getting hit pretty hard lately. His price will certainly be right now, but let's wait and see how he gets over this slump before handing out next year's Cy. That ballpark he pitches in still worries me a bit...

Perez is an absolutely amazing story. I'd love to see him continue to pitch as he has, but fatigue might start to become a factor. I think he'll be good in the second half, but not as good as he's been so far.

And I very much doubt that Santana can keep up his pace. I may be wrong, but I think he'll come down to earth fairly quickly.

Let's see, other sleepers... Benson comes to mind - I'm not sure he's back at full strength yet, but it's worth keeping an eye on. Josh Beckett has slipped from the minds of lots of fantasy owners and might actually be considered a sleeper for the second half. Nick Neugebauer's return should be interesting, too...
Arlo
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Bliz34 » Wed Jul 03, 2002 3:20 pm

Thanks for the help....

I just picked up hudson for his next start and I'll stick with him

I am getting rid of Padilla but it's tough because he comes so cheap there are no other strong pitchers in his price range so I'll have to look for a sleeper fielder to make cap room to upgrade pitching.

I am also possibly interested in Bartolo Colon in his new environment, but his inconsistency makes it a gamble.

Benson scares me because the Pirates suck. Kip Wells just had a no hitter going into the 7th or 8th the other day and he picked up the loss.

I'll still have to rethink my stance on Oswalt but whenever I watch him pitch he has some nasty stuff, and I read somewhere that he is a really mature pitcher for his age.

Thanks again for the help. Hopefully I'll find the consistency I'm looking for.
Bliz34
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby Arlo » Wed Jul 03, 2002 4:36 pm

Hope it works out. B-)

Yes, Colon is extremely intriguing, but you're right - it's a gamble right now. Still, the odds don't look too bad.

I agree about Oswalt's stuff and maturity. He may be carrying a bit too much of a burden right now, though. Now is the time for him to step up and show just how much of both he has. I'm certainly pulling for him to do well - he sure is fun to watch, isn't he?
Arlo
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby tallmike » Thu Jul 04, 2002 9:59 am

Colon always gets mixed reviews but he has put up good numbers pretty consistently. K's down this year but tough to overlook.

Sanatana has had brief flashes like this in the past - he may be putting it together but I wouldn't bet my team's pitching stats on him long term.

Everyone is talking about Lowe tiring. You'd sure had to give up on him too early and watch someone else run with him.

hudson and Zito are for real.

I'm kind of intrigued to see of El Duque picks up where he left off before he got hurt. Risky with his history but could be a nice pickup if he's forgotten since he's been away.

I wouldn't be suprised if Eric Milton has a much better second half but again the inconsisency is scary.

Pineiro in Seattle and Washburn in Anaheim continue to pitch well without a pile of hype. Washburn has that history of arm trouble hanging over him though.
tallmike

Mock(ing) Drafter

Postby Bliz34 » Mon Jul 08, 2002 4:57 pm

I MADE SOME DRASTIC MOVES I HOPE I DID THE RIGHT THING HERE. SEE WHTA YOU GUYS THINK...

THE LEAGUE I'M IN (I DON'T KNOW THE FANTASY LINGO) BUT THERE ARE 5 PITCHER SPOTS, ONE EACH FIELDER SPOTS, AND 4 OUTFIELDERS. NOW YOU CAN BUY AND SELL ANY PLAYER AT ANYTIME ONLY RESTRICTED BY TWO THINGS.

1. AN ALWAYS EXPANDING AND CONTRACTING SALARY CAP DEPENDING ON THE 12,000 OTHER PLAYERS PICKING UP OR DROPPING YOUR SAME PLAYERS ON OR OFF THEIR ROSTERS.
SO IF PEDRO STATS PITCHING WELL AND YOU ALREADY HAVE HIM YOU GAIN SALARY CAP AS OTHERS BEGIN TO REALIZE AND PICK HIM UP AS WELL.

2. YOU GET 3 PITCHER AND 3 HITTER TRADES A WEEK

I ROTATE PITCHERS SO I EITHER HAVE ONE PITCHER GOING A DAY BECAUSE THEY TEND TO PICK UP ALOT MORE POINTS THAN FIELDERS. AGOOD DAY FOR A PITCHER IS 100+ WHILE HITTTERS NEVER GET THAT HIGH (EXCEPT LIKE 4 HOME RUN GAMES AND CYCLES)

i FOOLISHLY BEEFED UP MY FIELDERS AND TRIED EARNING MONEY OFF UNDERDOG PITCHERS. I ABANDONED THAT RECENTLY BECAUSE IT'S TOO RISKY LATELY I'VE TAKEN A POUNDING BECAUSE IT SEEMS THAT IF I PICK A GUY UP HE SUCKS AND WHEN I LET HIM GO HE TURNS IT AROUND. WELL I AM GOING TO STICK WITH MY GUYS NOW AND START SAVING SOME TRADES EACH WEEK BECAUSE IF YOU DON'T USE 3 DURING A WEEK THEY ACCUMULATE. IF I CAN GET GOOD ENOUGH PITCHERS I CAN RIDE THEM FOR A FEW WEEKS AND MAKE A SERIOUS RUN AT THE END OF THE SEASON WHEN IT COUNTS.

NOW I AM GOING FOR UNDERDOG FIELDERS WHO WON'T GIVE ME MANY NEGATIVE VALUE DAYS AND WITH WAY BETTER PITCHING. KNOWING THIS NOW GUYS WHAT DO YOU THINK OF THE LINE UP.

WHAT I NEED TO KNOW IS ARE THESE GUYS GOOD FOR THE MONEY?
CAN YOU THINK OF ANYONE BETTER ATH THE POSITION WHO WILL BE A SLEEPER AND LESS EXPENSIVE?

C. JOSH PHELPS ( 50 THOUSAND) (MIN VALUE FOR ANY PLAYER)
*I THNK HE'S A STEAL AT THE POSITION CATCHERS DON'T PRODUCE MUCH AND I DON'T WANT TO WASTE 5MILL ON A C.

1B. SCOTT HATTEBERG ( 92 THOUSAND) GOOD SUPPORTINGCAST AND HIT HOMERS WELL FOR THE PRICE
2B. ALFONSO SORIANO (3.8 MILL) HE'S BEST PLAYER IN THE GAME RIGHT NOW IN FANTASY I THINK HE'S A STEAL FOR ANYTHING LESS THAN 10MILL.
3B. FERNANDO TATIS (1.8MILL) THIS YEAR COULD MAKE HIM THE COMEBACK KID. HE'S ALREADY GOT 12 HOMERS I THINK. IF HE GETS HURT I DROP 'EM SAFE BET TOO.
SS. THIS IS TOUGH BECAUSE I HAD MIQUEL TEJADA AT 5.4MILL BUT I NEED THE CAP ROOM. PROBLEM IS SS SUCKS FOR OFFENSIVE PRODUCTION. I COULD JUST TRY AND SELL OUT AND KEEP HIM OR GO AFTER NOMAR AT 6.3MILL BUT I REALLY COULD USE THE CAP ROOM. OMAR VIZQUEL IS ONLY 3.8MILL BUT THAT IS TOO MUCH FOR TE POSITION. WHAT I AM LOOKING FOR IS A CHEAP SS THAT WILL JUST NOT K 130 TIMES BEFORE THE BREAK AND JUST PLAY CONSISTENT. I NEED HELP HERE

OF LANCE BERKMAN: LOVE EM AT 5 MILL HE IS GREAT
OF ICHIRO: I KEEP HIM BECAUSE OF THE LEGEND HR JUST GIVES MY TEAM GOOD MOJO
OF JOHNNY DAMON AT 3MILL HE'S GREAT.. AND I THINK IN THE SECOND HALF HE'S GONNA SAY THNAKS TO THE FANS FOR THE ALL STAR VOTES BY HAVING A GREAT SECOND HALF.

NOW I JUST NEED ANOTHER CHEAP, YOUNG OUTFIELDER, I WAS THINKING OF COREY PATTERSON FOR ABOUT 2MILL LEAVING ME A SAVINGS OF ABOUT 8-10 MILL TO WASTE ON SOME PITCHING. HE'S MY SLEEPER WHAT DO YA THINK??

NOW PICHING (SORRY FOR THE LONG EMAIL)

THESE ARE THE TEN GUYS I THINK WILL BE WORTH THE MONEY AND CONSISTENT IN WINS AND K'S AND LOW ERA. LET ME KNOW WHAT YOU THINK. (OH YEAH AND I REFUSE TO USE THE BIG UNIT. I JUST DON'T LIKE HIM)

1. PEDRO (9.8MILL)
2. TIM HUDSON (6.8 MILL)
3. RAMON ORTIZ ( 3.9 MILL) IS HE THAT GOOD?
4. BARRY ZITO (6.9 MILL)
5. DEREK LOWE (4.6 MILL) WILL HE BURN OUT?
THOSE ARE MY 5 RIGHT NOW. I CAN SUB 3 A WEEK I DON'T KNOW WHO ELSE TO TAKE

- FREDDY GARCIA 8 MILL
- JAVIER VAZQUEZ 7MILL (NOT ENOUGH WINS)
- ROY OSWALT (BEGINNING TO PISS ME OFF SO BAD)
-MARK BUERHLE GOOD WINS BUT IS HE CONSISTANT?

SO BASICALLY I AM LOOKING FOR PITCHERS WHO WIL DOMINATETHE SECOND HALF

-GLAVINE - IS HE OVER POWERING?
-MADDUX- CAN HE MAKE A SECOND HALF TEAR?
-AJ BURNETT- KNOW NOHING ABOUT HIM
-PEDRO ASTACIO- DON'T KNOW MUCH ABOUT HIM?
- MULDER- WILL BE AS DOMINANT AS HE WAS LAST YEAR EVER?

IT SEEMS WHENEVER I HEAR ABOUT A GUY AND PICK HIM UP HI GET EM ON THE WAY DOWN? IS TEHRE ANYONE YOU SEE GOING UP NOW?

MAYBE CLEMENS OR PETTITE? I MEAN GUYS WHO CAN PUT UP COMPLETE GAME SUB 4 HITS, SHUTOUTS, 10 K'S WOULD BE GREAT.

I THINK GARCIA IS PROBABLY ONE WHO WILL DO TAHT IN THE SECOND HALF BUT WHO ELSE??

-
Bliz34
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby dannahann » Tue Jul 09, 2002 1:09 am

At SS, do you save any significant $$ by going with Eckstien?

Mench might be a better cheap OF option than Patterson.

As for good pitchers who might still come REAL cheap, Joel Piniero might work for you. I'd prefer him to Burnett.

If Washburn costs the same as Ramon Ortiz, go with Washburn. Kevin Millwood has pitched very well the last month as has Weaver, but I'm guessing Weaver will cost more now that he's a Yankee.

I've never been in a league like this, player salary seems to be the big factor in success. It's very difficult to make recommendations Without knowing the costs, but I hope this helps some. Good Luck!
dannahann
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafe Ranker
(Past Year: 39)

Postby Bliz34 » Tue Jul 09, 2002 11:57 am

Yeah this is the first time I've been in a league like this. I have a feeling I could make a run in the second half but it's tough. I just totally changed my gameplan for the second half. I'm hoping it pays off. here are a few more brainstorms. You guys have been great help so far thanks!!

Fernando Tatis is 1.8 mill at 3rd Tyler Houston is 700 thou
- Right now I'm sticking with Tatis.

My outfield went through a huge overhaul I went against all rhyme or reason and picked up Bonds for 10mill and still kept Berkman for 7 mill.

This leaves my pitching staff as
Pedro
Tim Hudson
Freddy Garcia
Derek Lowe

Now I have one pitching spot available but very low funds so I need a sleeper for less than a mill. I was thinking of using Johan Santana for now either him or Rodrigo Lopez. And Kenny ROgers is also real cheap less than a mill.

My next move will be too save some funds as tehse guys perform in the second half and pick up either Smoltz or Gagne and leave them there all the time. These guys pick of 40-50 pts every time they go out which is 4-5 times a week on a real good week. But they are both 5mill. I am leaning towards Smoltz becaue I see the Braves giving him more opprortunities tahn Gagne with LA in the second half. What do ya think?
Bliz34
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby dannahann » Tue Jul 09, 2002 1:47 pm

You might be able to save big $$$ on a closer by going with Scott stewart instead of Gagne or Smoltz. He's been right there with those guys the last few weeks. Check out his cost, I'll bet it's less than the bigname closers.

Here's how those 3 stack up for the last month:

Yahoo rank (includes all players, pitchers and hitters too):
#6 Smoltz #13 Stewart #16 Gagne

Games Played:
Gagne 16 Smoltz 14 Stewart 13

Wins:
Stewart 2 Smoltz 1 Gagne 0

Saves:
Smoltz 13 Gagne 12 Stewart 7

K's:
Gagne 20 Stewart 18 Smoltz 17

ERA:
Stewart 0.69 Gagne 1.29 Smoltz 2.57

WHIP:
Stewart 0.69 Smoltz 0.71 Gagne 0.86

I was just thinking that with all 3 posting similar numbers, you'd probably be able to afford Stewart sooner than the other 2. If save are a huge worry, over the last 10 days the Saves are even closer among the 3: Smoltz 6 Gagne 5 Stewart 4.
dannahann
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafe Ranker
(Past Year: 39)

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers