Something wrong with Milton? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Something wrong with Milton?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Something wrong with Milton?

Postby BeefSandwiches » Tue Jun 15, 2004 3:54 pm

Am I missing something? A guy in my league just dropped Eric Milton - I checked the usual outlets and can't find anything saying there has been a change in his status. Unless this guy knows something I don't, he needs to clean of his crystal ball...
BeefSandwiches
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Home Cafe: Football

Postby demondemon » Tue Jun 15, 2004 4:08 pm

Prolly 'cuz of his craptacular performance over his last 2 starts.

He's jumping the gun a little but if he has another start like his last 2 i'd sit him 'til he comes around if you have the space.
demondemon
College Coach
College Coach

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby G-Man » Tue Jun 15, 2004 4:16 pm

his problem is that he sucks. his record is nice but just like washburn (except that washburn is much less talented) once that WHIP translates into ugly performances you have to reevaluate true worth. i still think he is a good #4 fantasy SP the rest of the way though.
G-Man
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby Leiter Fan » Tue Jun 15, 2004 6:34 pm

G-Man wrote:his problem is that he sucks. his record is nice but just like washburn (except that washburn is much less talented) once that WHIP translates into ugly performances you have to reevaluate true worth. i still think he is a good #4 fantasy SP the rest of the way though.

Unless you are an anomaly like Kaz Ishii who can continually get out of jams while keeping the ERA low, a high WHIP is usually the sign of a crappy pitcher or one that's due for a major meltdown.

Milton's WHIP is 1.56. That's says it all right there (although his ERA is nothing to write home about either). Without his massive run support, he'd be total garbage.

Just goes to show that wins can be the most deceiving of all baseball stats (both in fantasy and real life). And fantasy players who overly rely on past wins in determining what pitcher to pick up just pave the way for others to win the championship, since these members usually drop sub-3.50 ERA guys with low WHIP and low run support in order to pick up guys like Milton.
"One of the teams represents truth, justice, the American way, and underdogs everywhere. The other represents George Steinbrenner!" - U.S. News and World Reports columnist John Leo on the difference between the Mets and the Yankees.
Leiter Fan
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 2)

Postby Jamescloud16 » Wed Jun 16, 2004 3:58 pm

I gotta say, he's scary to watch. Myers, Wolf, and Padilla are much more in control when they start. Milton throws a ton of pitches, walks a lot of guys, but gets out of jams for the most part. It's true that he gets a ton of run support, too.

I don't think he's hurt. His start this week was different because it rained for awhile here in Philly before they had the first delay. All of his pitches were sailing up, like the ball was slipping from being wet.

This is Milton's M.O. High WHIP, average to high ERA, occasional great start to balance things out, etc. He's got value, but he's no ace.
Jamescloud16
College Coach
College Coach

Return to Baseball Leftovers