top 5 starting pitchers? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

top 5 starting pitchers?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby CBMGreatOne » Wed Jun 16, 2004 5:41 pm

I was referring to the previous start vs the Astros. At the time of my post, he hadn't pitched yet yesterday.

List, in no order:
1. Unit
2. Prior
3. Pedro
4. Schmidt
5. Halladay
6. Schilling
7. Wood
8. Vazquez
9. Mulder
10. Hudson

add in a healthy Oswalt, a healthy Beckett and maybe a healthy Brown and that puts Zambrano at best at 14

Come to think of it, I'd also take Mussina over him, so 15th.

I like this list. You said "in no order," but I think you were just saying that to keep things simple; that list is approximately in order.

In any case, you are right, all of those pitchers should go before Zambrano. I might take exception to the healthy Beckett. I still haven't seen Beckett pitch like he did last postseason.

I hate to rate them right now, but if I really HAD to do a top 10, I'd go:

1, 1A. RJ/Schmidt (can't separate them right now, Schmidt is probably the better performer right now, but RJ has been pretty darn good and has a little better WHIP and probably will have more Ks.)

3. Prior (let's see if he's all the way back)

4. Schilling (concerned about the ankle, but he'll probably get more Ws than any other SP when it's all said and done, still my pick for AL Cy Young, should be a very similar season to Halladay last year, with SLIGHTLY better ERA/WHIP/Ks, very slightly)

5. Pedro (can't figure out some of the struggles he's had this season, but he's still no worse than #5 on this list, period.)

6. Halladay (I think he will return to form now, but will he still get the Ws? If your league counts CGs, he should be ranked even higher.)

7. Vazquez (all the ingredients of a fantasy stud, ERA/WHIP/W/Ks. Tremendous pitcher finally getting some exposure outside of Montreal.)

8. Wood (only this low because he is ON the DL right now. He's an elite K guy and will be right around 3.00 and 1.05 with his ERA and WHIP respectively, and that Cub team will get him Ws)

9. Hudson (very consistent, bullpen's best friend, but not a good K rate, really his only blemish)

10. Mulder (same as above, I just value him a little bit less, partially because of the injury last year).
CBMGreatOne
General Manager
General Manager

(Past Year: 89)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby bradlee » Wed Jun 16, 2004 5:54 pm

My top 5 in fantasy baseball would be:

1. Schmidt
2. Schilling
3. Prior
4. Pedro
5. Halladay
bradlee
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 4)

Postby blankman » Wed Jun 16, 2004 6:24 pm

CBMGreatOne wrote:I like this list. You said "in no order," but I think you were just saying that to keep things simple; that list is approximately in order.

In any case, you are right, all of those pitchers should go before Zambrano. I might take exception to the healthy Beckett. I still haven't seen Beckett pitch like he did last postseason.

I hate to rate them right now, but if I really HAD to do a top 10, I'd go:

1, 1A. RJ/Schmidt (can't separate them right now, Schmidt is probably the better performer right now, but RJ has been pretty darn good and has a little better WHIP and probably will have more Ks.)

3. Prior (let's see if he's all the way back)

4. Schilling (concerned about the ankle, but he'll probably get more Ws than any other SP when it's all said and done, still my pick for AL Cy Young, should be a very similar season to Halladay last year, with SLIGHTLY better ERA/WHIP/Ks, very slightly)

5. Pedro (can't figure out some of the struggles he's had this season, but he's still no worse than #5 on this list, period.)

6. Halladay (I think he will return to form now, but will he still get the Ws? If your league counts CGs, he should be ranked even higher.)

7. Vazquez (all the ingredients of a fantasy stud, ERA/WHIP/W/Ks. Tremendous pitcher finally getting some exposure outside of Montreal.)

8. Wood (only this low because he is ON the DL right now. He's an elite K guy and will be right around 3.00 and 1.05 with his ERA and WHIP respectively, and that Cub team will get him Ws)

9. Hudson (very consistent, bullpen's best friend, but not a good K rate, really his only blemish)

10. Mulder (same as above, I just value him a little bit less, partially because of the injury last year).

If you look later in the thread a couple posts down, I did actually rank them. My rankings were were similar to yours with the exception of RJ/Schmidt/Prior/Halladay. I had Prior ahead of RJ and Schmidt and Halladay ranked two above where you had him.
blankman
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Graphics Expert

Previous

Return to Baseball Leftovers