Return to Baseball Leftovers

top 5 starting pitchers?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby irishdude103 » Tue Jun 15, 2004 11:35 am

Lofunzo wrote:
irishdude103 wrote:
slomo007 wrote:
irishdude103 wrote:
slomo007 wrote:I also think Zambrano is 15-20th ranked.

wow i think he is a legit top 10. i didn't know how other people felt

He's pitching like a top-10 right now, but he won't keep this up all year. His overall averages will compare with 15-20th ranked pitchers.

how long do you think he will keep it up??

All season. ;-)

me to i think he is an ace myabe it is becasue all of my leagues i have him and he has been doing so well
irishdude103
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Lofunzo » Tue Jun 15, 2004 11:35 am

slomo007 wrote:
Rototimes wrote:Jun. 15 Dusty Baker confirmed that Carlos Zambrano (P) CHC will make his scheduled start tonight, according to the Chicago Tribune. Baker said that Zambrano woke up a stiff neck a couple of days ago but felt better Monday. Baker denied that that Zambrano had any shoulder soreness.

Can't admit that you aren't at least a little worried if you're a Zambrano owner.

Depends how the start goes tonight. :-?
Lofunzo

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerEagle EyeHockey ModPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 18)

Postby irishdude103 » Tue Jun 15, 2004 11:37 am

slomo007 wrote:
Rototimes wrote:Jun. 15 Dusty Baker confirmed that Carlos Zambrano (P) CHC will make his scheduled start tonight, according to the Chicago Tribune. Baker said that Zambrano woke up a stiff neck a couple of days ago but felt better Monday. Baker denied that that Zambrano had any shoulder soreness.

Can't admit that you aren't at least a little worried if you're a Zambrano owner.

i am just a little but he has been pitching so good i can't see him start to pitch bad now
irishdude103
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter

Postby LBJackal » Tue Jun 15, 2004 3:44 pm

Zambrano's ERA, WHIP, and BAA have all improved over the past 4 seasons. But this season it took a huge leap towards superstardom. Can he keep it up? Probably not. But his ERA always seems to be low despite a relatively high WHIP, so if he can keep his WHIP in the 1.20 area, expect big things. Not top 5 though, and probably not top 10.

"Jack, will you call me, if you're able?"

"I've got your phone number written, in the back of my Bible."
LBJackal
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Pick 3 Weekly Winner

Postby mikemcj55 » Tue Jun 15, 2004 4:16 pm

This is a general fb question I have. I notice most of the names mentioned here are the big k guys (Wood, RJ, Prior, Pedro, Halladay) and Mulder and Hudson are further down the list, even though by all rights their era's are tops in the American league.

Does fantasy baseball take guys who are efficient with low era's and whips and quite a few cg's and make them less important than a strong k guy? I'm just wondering for next year. Is the k pitcher more valuable than the cg pitcher?
mikemcj55
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Cornbread Maxwell » Tue Jun 15, 2004 4:23 pm

Yes - high K guys who have good %s are more valuable than avg K guys with good %s. One of the strategies for FBB players is to target high K pitchers. I hope this answered your question.
Cornbread Maxwell
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertPick 3 ChampionSweet 16 Survivor
Home Cafe: Football

Postby mikemcj55 » Tue Jun 15, 2004 4:29 pm

while I only have limited experience, it seems to me that guys who can punch out guys are easier to be had than guys who can go the distance with the consistency of Mulder and Hulder. In any given year, can't certain guys emerge as strong k pitchers (Weaver this year, Robertson). But the cg's are something else.

I'm not arguing, I just feel like there is a huge scramble for k's in our league, with cg's being overlooked (it is a stat for us)
mikemcj55
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby The Jury » Tue Jun 15, 2004 4:44 pm

Randy Johnson is being a bit overrated this year, IMHO, at least if his showings so far are any indication.

I'd take Prior or Schmidt over him for the rest of the season, leaving him in my top 5 along with Schilling and Halladay.

Regarding Vazquez, it'll be tough for him to post up dominant stats consistently because of the heavy bats of the AL East, meanwhile guys like RJ and Schmidty have it fairly easy out there.
[quote:4fef447375="Geek"]The odds of the AL MVP coming from the American League are looking pretty good.[/quote]
The Jury
General Manager
General Manager

Postby pokerplaya » Wed Jun 16, 2004 2:38 am

jbones733 wrote:
pokerplaya wrote:So I guess my staff in a 14 team league of

RJ, Pedro, Schmidt, Halladay looks pretty good then, huh. :-b

unless your top 2 bats are Carlos Lee & R Palmerio, theirs no way possible to have a staff like that in a 14 team league, unless of course it consists of absoultute morons. all 4 of those guys were gone by mid/late 2nd rd in my 14 team league

I drafted Halladay and RJ, (2nd and 3rd) and traded Glaus for Pedro straight up a week before he went down from a nervous Pedro owner. I traded for Schmidt in a package 3 for 1 where I gave up some decent talent, but I did get the better end of the deal. I had the first pick in the draft, making my best bat A-Rod, probably followed by Thome (who I recently dealt for). My team was considered one of the better ones on draft day, but it was through incessant trading that I really have made my team. A lot of luck and good timing also helped. It's a keeper, featuring a few minor leaguers on each team, which offered the flexibility for me to trade for such great players from teams that are looking towards the future. My offense was lacking, but due to an extremely good draft - marked with some luck I managed to deal high on Benitez, Glavine, Mesa, etc and get some good bats. Some good value picks (Berkman in the 5th) have helped as well. My farm system took a hit, but my team is better for it. It can be done, and the league is full of competent owners - not morons. One inactive owner is the only mark on an otherwise great league, and by far the best I've ever been in.
pokerplaya
Kitchen Staff
Kitchen Staff

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 14)

Postby Crunchy Johnson » Wed Jun 16, 2004 5:39 am

RJ, schmidt, Pedro,Shilling, Prior, and Mussina
Crunchy Johnson
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers