Trade Advice - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Trade Advice

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Trade Advice

Postby allforone » Mon Jul 01, 2002 2:17 pm

I'm in a small 5X5 league, so all the teams are pretty strong. My team looks like this:
C- Piazza
1B - Giambi
2B - Kent
SS - Garciaparra
3B - Hinske (Just traded Chavez and Garrett Anderson for Vlad)
OF- Manny Ramirez
OF - Damon
OF - Vlad
Util- Andrew Jones
Bench - Tony Batista, Juan Pierre, Vizquel and Pierzynski

Pitchers, Ishii, Lieber, Oswalt, Harang, Guardardo, Escobar, Scott Steward, Benitez, couple of middle relief guys.

I'm second in offensive categories, all totalled, but my ERA and WHIP are near the bottom, although I'm high with wins and K's.

I'm overloaded with Boston players and was wondering which you'd offer up in trades, Garciaparra, Damon or Ramirez.

Was looking to maybe bundle Piazza and Damon for Freddy Garcia and Mariano Rivera. What do you think about that. Any other thoughts would be helpful.
allforone

Home Cafe: Football
Friendliness: %

Postby Arlo » Mon Jul 01, 2002 5:36 pm

Hi, allforone. I agree that your most pressing need is a dependable ace. You should be all right at closer - Rivera's great, but with your roster, he presumably doesn't warrant trading Piazza.

Of your Red Sox, trading Damon would probably work out best. Just insert Pierre; no serious harm done to your lineup.

Before shopping Piazza, I'd start by seeing if there's interest in players like Damon (or Pierre), Vizquel or Pierzynski. Even in a small league, there should be several teams that could use an upgrade at c or ss. If you can land a true ace, raising the ante to Nomar would probably make sense, too.

Perhaps you can target pitchers coming off poor outings. Acquiring Vazquez, Zito or Wood might be quite a bit easier than going after Garcia, at least right now. Good luck!
Arlo
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Baseball

Trade Advice

Postby allforone » Tue Jul 02, 2002 4:42 pm

Actually, I forgot to mention in my note that I had just traded Trevor Hoffman for Pedro Martinez to shore up my starting pitching. I was also looking into acquiring Brian Giles. I was offering Ishii and Escobar. I think that they are going to have worse 2nd half's and didn't want to be stuck with them, which is why I was looking at the Piazza/Damon for Garcia/Rivera move.

Do you think the Giles deal makes sense in that light?
allforone
T-Ball Trainer

Postby Arlo » Tue Jul 02, 2002 7:28 pm

8-o Wow - that's quite a trade. Congratulations on picking up Pedro! So much for needing an ace...

Anyway, yes, the Giles deal does make a lot of sense. While I'm not sure Escobar will actually be traded, it's a possibility that can't be ignored; if he does wind up setting up (for the Angels or another team), his value will be in the cellar. Shopping him now definitely makes sense. If you can snag Giles for this package, go for it. ;-D
Arlo
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Return to Baseball Leftovers