will millwood come back to earth? rate these players! - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

will millwood come back to earth? rate these players!

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby beltrans_boy » Sun Jun 13, 2004 6:44 pm

Santana over Perez? I think you guys are underrating Perez and overrating Santana...

Ignoring their win-loss record (because we all know wins are flukey), Odalis is far and away the better pitcher.

Through 86.2 innings in 2004, Perez:

.244 Opp. BAA, 9 HRs, 3.01 ERA, 1.10 WHIP, 61K and 18 BB

Through 75.2 innings in 2004, Santana:

.277 Opp. BAA, 13 HRs, 5.11 ERA, 1.39 WHIP, 71K and 23 BB

Santana's only upside is in Ks and win potential. Odalis is the superior pitcher. And he's less of a headcase, too. ;-D
beltrans_boy
General Manager
General Manager

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby WhiteHot » Sun Jun 13, 2004 6:45 pm

Santana

Pavano
Odalis

Millwood
WhiteHot
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby slomo007 » Sun Jun 13, 2004 6:47 pm

beltrans_boy wrote:Santana over Perez? I think you guys are underrating Perez and overrating Santana...

Ignoring their win-loss record (because we all know wins are flukey), Odalis is far and away the better pitcher.

Through 86.2 innings in 2004, Perez:

.244 Opp. BAA, 9 HRs, 3.01 ERA, 1.10 WHIP, 61K and 18 BB

Through 75.2 innings in 2004, Santana:

.277 Opp. BAA, 13 HRs, 5.11 ERA, 1.39 WHIP, 71K and 23 BB

Santana's only upside is in Ks and win potential. Odalis is the superior pitcher. And he's less of a headcase, too. ;-D

Santana gets the run support, Odalis won't.

Plus you shouldn't look at Santana's season so far, he just wasn't himself earlier. Look at last season's stats if you want to compare stats.
slomo007
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicEagle Eye

Postby WhiteHot » Sun Jun 13, 2004 6:47 pm

beltrans_boy wrote:Santana's only upside is in Ks and win potential. Odalis is the superior pitcher. And he's less of a headcase, too. ;-D

So you're saying to ignore two pitching categories in roto (wins and saves) in comparing pitchers? Also, try to look at the whole picture and not just the year-to-date stats, otherwise you should trade Gagne for Danny Graves or Braden Looper.
WhiteHot
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby red sox rule!!! » Sun Jun 13, 2004 6:51 pm

i just shelled millwood and grabbed santana. I love this guy. Ive been keeping my eye on him since he came into the league.

btw i am in roto league in yahoo so wins and ks count big
red sox rule!!!
College Coach
College Coach

Postby WhiteHot » Sun Jun 13, 2004 6:53 pm

red sox rule!!! wrote:i just shelled millwood and grabbed santana. I love this guy. Ive been keeping my eye on him since he came into the league.

btw i am in roto league in yahoo so wins and ks count big

Shelved Millwood or shelled him? I wouldn't drop Millwood, but I'd definitely bench him for a little bit. I like Santana's upside much more than Millwood's FYI.
WhiteHot
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby red sox rule!!! » Sun Jun 13, 2004 6:59 pm

s-h-e-l-l-e-d as in gonzo. but i have first waiver priority so i could always grab him again.

my pitching staff was/is:
millwood
sabathia
willis
vazquez
prior
milton
peavy
smoltz
nathan
benitez

I really wanted to grab santana. i can't let any of my closers go cuz i need to keep my saves up. sabathia is too good to release. willis and peavy are too young and talanted to release. prior and vazquez enough said about them. i personally think milton will have a better year than millwood. he is getting old and is falling apart.
red sox rule!!!
College Coach
College Coach

Postby WhiteHot » Sun Jun 13, 2004 7:31 pm

You don't need Millwood. Nevermind.
WhiteHot
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby beltrans_boy » Sun Jun 13, 2004 7:47 pm

WhiteHot wrote:
beltrans_boy wrote:Santana's only upside is in Ks and win potential. Odalis is the superior pitcher. And he's less of a headcase, too. ;-D

So you're saying to ignore two pitching categories in roto (wins and saves) in comparing pitchers?

I'm assuming you mean K's and not saves. The wins WILL come for Odalis (just take a look at Kaz Ishii, he's got 8 wins, and Perez is EASILY superior to Ishii). Wins are flukey, and it's not like Twins are offensive juggernauts either. Odalis has just been unlucky so far this season. The Dodgers are bad, but not that bad. Odalis will finish the season with 12-15 wins. The dropoff in K's isn't dramatic enough to ignore Odalis' superiority in ALL the other categories. Odalis is an INCREDIBLE pitcher. He's back to his 2002 self. Odalis has more durability (he's proven that he can last an entire major league season as a starter).

Santana is a transformed reliever. I'd love to compare their past stats, but Santana just doesn't have the track record to compare! He wasn't even a starting pitcher for the entire 2003 season. Granted, he's got electric stuff, but I'd like to see him perform at a quality level for an entire season before I put him on the same level as a stud like Perez. Sure, he had electric stuff last season, but nobody knows how he's gonna hold up through 200+ innings. He only started 18 games last season, and he's never pitched more than 158 innings in a season. It'll be interesting to see how Santana holds up in late August and September.

Odalis has pitched 222 innings in 2002, and he pitched 185 in 2003. He's on pace to pitch around 200 this year. His stuff was absolutely electric in 2002 when he won 15 games. He won 12 games last year (when the Dodgers offense was the worst it's been in years), AND his stuff wasn't even close to this year. In 2002, he was one of the most dominant pitchers in the majors, and he's on track to repeat those same numbers here in 2004. The wins will come. ;-D

I'm not dogging on Santana (I drafted him this year), but I'm just pointing out the Odalis Perez is the better choice for this year.
beltrans_boy
General Manager
General Manager

Previous

Return to Baseball Leftovers