Don't Start your hitters vs the Torii Hunter! - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Don't Start your hitters vs the Torii Hunter!

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby thetongueofire » Sun Jun 13, 2004 8:00 pm

i heard on ESPN sometime last year that Andrew Jones has lost a step or two in the past few years but he still wins the GG on his reputation :-? ... again its not me, i heard it :-)
[size=10]Manny Ramirez....$20 million
Pedro Martinez....$17.5 million
Curt Schilling...$12 million (and a $2 million bonus)
Never hearing a Yankee fan chant 1918 again...priceless. [/size]
thetongueofire
General Manager
General Manager

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby ajgnydc722 » Sun Jun 13, 2004 8:11 pm

thetongueofire wrote:i heard on ESPN sometime last year that Andrew Jones has lost a step or two in the past few years but he still wins the GG on his reputation :-? ... again its not me, i heard it :-)

Whether he lost a step or not...he's nasty.
ajgnydc722
General Manager
General Manager

Postby Ficerarmer » Sun Jun 13, 2004 9:41 pm

Andruw makes a good # of diving catches, but most people talk about his first step and ability to read the ball initially off the bat, turning balls that everyone else dives for into routine catches. I haven't seen him rob someone of a home run in awhile, but I think him and Hunter are both incredible center fielders, and it's really hard to put one over the other
Ficerarmer Beginner
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Re: gfd

Postby WhiteHot » Sun Jun 13, 2004 10:21 pm

JOEG wrote:
WhiteHot wrote:I saw the game. He robbed a double. There is no way in hell that would've got over the wall. It probably would've hit the middle of the fence. I'm not taking anything away from Torii, but it was DEFINITELY not going to be a home run.

Baseball Tonight/SC will confirm this.

I agree it was close, however double, homer, or whatever it was a great grab that only a few guys would of even been to the track or let alone get a glove on, Thome blasted it...

He slowed down considerably for the ball. It was a decent catch, but there was NO reason to jump like that. If he didn't slow down, it would've been a warning track fly ball. The ball would've hit the middle of the fence had he fallen down or something, but I'm sure most fielders wouldn't showboat like this.

I'm sorry, but I've seen some amazing catches. This one was done purely so that he could get on sportscenter. There was NO reason to jump. He slowed down, shuffled his feet a few times, then inexplicably leaped towards the wall.
WhiteHot
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby StlSluggers » Sun Jun 13, 2004 10:23 pm

Super GM wrote:Cameron and Hunter are both great defensive center fielders, but they're both beaten by one man:
Andruw Jones

Umm... maybe a little hometown bias here, but you forgot someone:

StlSluggers
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterWeb Supporter
Location: Parking in the gov't bldg @ 7th and Pine. It's only $3.00 on game day!

Postby matmat » Sun Jun 13, 2004 10:29 pm

Ficerarmer wrote:Andruw makes a good # of diving catches, but most people talk about his first step and ability to read the ball initially off the bat, turning balls that everyone else dives for into routine catches. I haven't seen him rob someone of a home run in awhile, but I think him and Hunter are both incredible center fielders, and it's really hard to put one over the other

i agree with this. think of people like jim edmonds or erstad who keep diving all over the field and getting hurt... andruw reads the ball well enough that he doesn't need to make all those dives. same goes for torii... I think torii is probably a little better than adruw backing up on the ball, wheras andruw might be a tad better going forward an side to side on catches.
Give a man a fish and he'll eat for a day, teach a man to fish and he'll drown because you forgot to teach him to swim.
[url=http://www.indra.com/8ball/front.html]Invaluable Fantasy Baseball Resource[/url]
matmat
General Manager
General Manager

Postby Tavish » Sun Jun 13, 2004 10:30 pm

StlSluggers wrote:
Super GM wrote:Cameron and Hunter are both great defensive center fielders, but they're both beaten by one man:
Andruw Jones

Umm... maybe a little hometown bias here, but you forgot someone:

Edmonds has had a great career and maybe it is just freak viewing luck but I have seen him make more bad plays this year than the rest of his career combined.

Bury me a Royal.
Tavish
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterWeb Supporter
(Past Year: 26)

Previous

Return to Baseball Leftovers