My alltime,,,,,,"MY HOW the mighty have fallen" squad - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

My alltime,,,,,,"MY HOW the mighty have fallen" squad

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

My alltime,,,,,,"MY HOW the mighty have fallen" squad

Postby INKcogKNEEdough » Sun Jun 13, 2004 10:50 am

Having played Fantasy for quite a while once in a while i see a player go in the 20th round or sitting on the free agent list and think 'wow i remember people used to line up to take him in the first round!!!!!". With this in mind i came up with the following team. My only requirements are 1)the player has to actually STILL be in the majors and 2)trying to find the player(s) that have BEEN the highest and/or have now fallen the farthest.

Catchers:Probably the hardest position to pick (okay maybe this is cheating a bit) but my winner goes to: Craig Biggio who went for $1 in my very deep 16 team league. Sure he hasn't played catcher in years but the only other choices i could consider were : Hundley, who wasnt good enough for long enough to be considered a consensus 1st rounder and Piazza who hasn't fallen for long enough and still warrants a fairly early pick.

1st Base:Fred Mcgriff- I have to go with the Crime dog here who you used to be able to pencil in for 25 hr and 100 rbi's. Honorable mention: Galaragga

2ndBase:Roberto Alomar- This one jumped out at me immediately(and in fact is what got me thinking on the subject) He happened to be my very first EVER fantasy pick......... Was a clear first rounder for at least 3 to 4 years. Now probably sitting on most if not all Waiver wires. Honorable mention: Carlos Baerga

3rd Base:Todd Zeile... Another tough one as i really couldnt find much to choose from. I had to go with Zeile. I am not sure if he ever did warrant being more than a late first rounder but he DOES at least qualify in the 'fallen the farthest' department. Honorable mention: Robin Ventura

Shortstop: Barry Larkin... Not a tough one to call seems to be the clear winner here to me. Honorable mention:Vizquel, D.Easley

Outfielders: Larry Walker.... Enough injuries and age and even the colorado air cant help you. Honorable mentions:Griffey(though he is looking like comeback player of the year so far) J.Gonzalez,,,,,,,Kenny Lofton

Starting pitchers:Maddux......Certainly not undraftable but Clearly no longer a 1st(or even early) round option. Honorable mention:
Tom Glavine.....though he is pitching lights out so far this year.

Relief pitchers: Mike Jackson........Honorable mention: Rod beck,,,,,,Todd Jones

I am sure i missed some so what are some of YOURS?

INKcogKNEEdough
"There was shrinkage!".....(George costanza)

Http://www.briliantdonkey.blogspot.com
INKcogKNEEdough
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby DK » Sun Jun 13, 2004 11:57 am

I was going to say Mo Vaughn but he isn't playing anymore... :-t
DK
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye

Postby CubsFan7724 » Sun Jun 13, 2004 11:58 am

Well Frank Thomas isnt a bottom rounder but he must've been a first round pick in the early 90s.
CubsFan7724
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Pick 3 Weekly Winner

Postby Lofunzo » Sun Jun 13, 2004 11:59 am

Even Burrell during his short career. Last year, he was a top 5 (round) pick and this year, he was either drafted really late or sitting on the WW after the draft.
Lofunzo

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerEagle EyeHockey ModPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 18)

Postby slomo007 » Sun Jun 13, 2004 12:02 pm

Lofunzo wrote:Even Burrell during his short career. Last year, he was a top 5 (round) pick and this year, he was either drafted really late or sitting on the WW after the draft.

And he's about to find himself on the WW again if he doesn't hit something besides the bench soon.....Well maybe not, but I like to sound threatening to him...maybe it will wake up his bat.

Ordinarily I wouldn't worry much about a player's slump, but because it's Burrell, I have this deep fear of him doing what he did last year once he gets frustrated. That guy is a bigtime mental problem.
slomo007
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicEagle Eye

Postby Amazinz » Sun Jun 13, 2004 12:05 pm

slomo007 wrote:Well maybe not, but I like to sound threatening to him...maybe it will wake up his bat.

Good job, Slomo. When you're through I have a list of a few other players that need some talking to. :-b
Maine has a good swing for a pitcher but on anything that moves, he has no chance. And if it's a fastball, it has to be up in the zone. Basically, the pitcher has to hit his bat. - Mike Pelfrey
Amazinz
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Lofunzo » Sun Jun 13, 2004 12:06 pm

He had a great May. June hasn't gone well but it's still early. You never know with Bowa, though. :-o
Lofunzo

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerEagle EyeHockey ModPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 18)

Postby slomo007 » Sun Jun 13, 2004 12:07 pm

Amazinz wrote:
slomo007 wrote:Well maybe not, but I like to sound threatening to him...maybe it will wake up his bat.

Good job, Slomo. When you're through I have a list of a few other players that need some talking to. :-b

Have them form a single-file line. }:-)
slomo007
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicEagle Eye

Postby wkelly91 » Sun Jun 13, 2004 2:26 pm

Greg Vaughn 8-o
wkelly91
General Manager
General Manager