Should-be Hall of Famers.....but aren't - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to General Talk

Should-be Hall of Famers.....but aren't

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby LBJackal » Sun Jun 13, 2004 7:17 pm

Mattingly was good for 6 years, not a decade. He was only great for 4 years, and mediocre pretty much other than that. He was a fan favourite, like Joe Carter, but not HoF material. No way he should be considered.

Griffey should probably make it, and based on his domination both defensively and offensivley in the 90's and his resurgence this year, he deserves it.

Jim Rice :-? I don't think he should be in. I'm sure there is some guy in there with worse numbers that makes people think Rice should be in too, but a 300 BA with 30 HR power isn't something spectacular. Maybe I'm blinded by the fact that 30 HR is average for a power hitting OF this era, but his stats just don't impress me that much. Also, he played a lot of DH, especially early in his career when he should be at his best defensively, which leads me to believe he wasn't a very good fielder.

Trammell doesn't appear to have been that good offensively, but for a SS he was definately very good, and since I'm not sure of his defense (you always hear about the Trammell and Whitaker connection, but that was because they played together so long, not because of their skill I assume) so I can't really make a good judgement. I guess the same goes for Ryno.

Dale Murphy had a bad BA but good power. He was great for 10 years, then absolutely horrible for his last 6. Something that might keep him out of the Hall.

Just my 2 cents on all those players. I'm sure many will disagree, but it would be no fun if everybody had the same opinion ;-)

"Jack, will you call me, if you're able?"

"I've got your phone number written, in the back of my Bible."
LBJackal
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Pick 3 Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby big shot » Sun Jun 13, 2004 7:37 pm

Sandberg should be in. he dominated at his position. there were no second basemen during his time even close to him. i like andre dawson and dale murphy as well. I do not think that rice, mattingly or albert belle should be hall of famers. a few decent years does not make you a hall of famer. i do not think trammel should be a hall of famer. He was not as good defensively as ozzie smith and there a plenty of guys that did the same with the bat. he was by no means a great hitter. I think canseco should be hall of fame before alot of the people mentioned
big shot
College Coach
College Coach

Home Cafe: Football

Postby Los Angeles Cubs » Sun Jun 13, 2004 7:46 pm

You guys have to remember that Sandberg has only been eligible for a couple years now mabe evn only 1. Anyway, a guy who should be in is Ron Santo. ;-D
Go Cubs!
Los Angeles Cubs
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Quaker » Sun Jun 13, 2004 7:51 pm

One should be careful when saying 30 or so homeruns in a season isn't that impressive. Balls didn't always fly out of the park like the do today. In 1981 for example, 22 HRs led the AL and 31 led the NL.
Quaker
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Super GM » Sun Jun 13, 2004 7:57 pm

Terry Pendleton
Super GM
General Manager
General Manager

Postby Arlo » Sun Jun 13, 2004 7:59 pm

Biz Mackey ;-D
Arlo
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby LBJackal » Sun Jun 13, 2004 8:15 pm

Quaker wrote:One should be careful when saying 30 or so homeruns in a season isn't that impressive. Balls didn't always fly out of the park like the do today. In 1981 for example, 22 HRs led the AL and 31 led the NL.

Yes, but that's all Rice did. Batted .300 with 30 HR's. He played a lot of DH and a player's fielding should also come into play when you're judging who should be in the Hall. Maybe I'm under-estimating the 30 HR's, and for a player to do that and still have a good BA obviously requires a lot of skill. But to me, HOF means far and above just "good". I guess if I saw the stats of the other elite players in his prime I coudl make a better judgement.

"Jack, will you call me, if you're able?"

"I've got your phone number written, in the back of my Bible."
LBJackal
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Pick 3 Weekly Winner

Postby HOOTIE » Mon Jun 14, 2004 12:13 am

BLANKMAN and LO, nice call on Donnie. You both are great objective Yank fans.

I will however say i think Ripken is the 3rd best ss ever, not counting current players. While he was overrated for the streak, he was very underrated for his defense.
Smells Like Teen Spirit
HOOTIE
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicResponse TeamFantasy ExpertCafe Ranker
(Past Year: 297)
Location: Pearl Jam country, right next door to Nirvana, Soundgarden, and Alice in Chains.

Postby Tavish » Mon Jun 14, 2004 12:24 am

HOOTIE wrote:I will however say i think Ripken is the 3rd best ss ever, not counting current players. While he was overrated for the streak, he was very underrated for his defense.

The streak overwhelmed everything Ripken did, which is a major shame. Out of curiosity what other SS besides Wagner that isn't active do you consider better? Cronin?

Bury me a Royal.
Tavish
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterWeb Supporter
(Past Year: 26)

Postby HOOTIE » Mon Jun 14, 2004 12:38 am

Arky Vaughn
Smells Like Teen Spirit
HOOTIE
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicResponse TeamFantasy ExpertCafe Ranker
(Past Year: 297)
Location: Pearl Jam country, right next door to Nirvana, Soundgarden, and Alice in Chains.

PreviousNext

Return to General Talk