I know everyone's seen it coming but now it's official.
KANSAS CITY, Mo. -- Let the bidding begin for Carlos Beltran.
Kansas City Royals general manager Allard Baird, on the heels of a demoralizing doubleheader loss to the Montreal Expos, said Friday that he is ready to begin dismantling his team and build for 2005. "This is a change," Baird told reporters.
Specifically, this means he is ready to take offers for Beltran, his switch-hitting center fielder who is one of just six players with at least three seasons of 100 runs, 100 RBIs and 30 stolen bases.
Beltran, 26, will be eligible for free agency after this year and the Royals are determined to get as much for him as they can.
Baird said he has heard from clubs "on the East Coast and the West Coast" who might be interested in the 26-year-old Beltran, but refused to be specific.
"I think it's very unfair to the ballclubs I'm talking to on any player," he said. "If they want to share it, that's fine."
Teams known to have expressed interest include Anaheim, Boston and the New York Yankees.
There are certain to be others. Beltran last year become the first switch-hitter to bat over .300 while hitting more than 25 home runs and stealing more than 40 bases.
The AL player of the month in April, he went into Friday night's game hitting .270 with 12 home runs and 43 RBIs.
Two weeks ago, Baird told clubs he would not consider dealing any of his players without giving the Royals a chance to get back in the AL Central race. They responded by winning six of 10. But the doubleheader loss to Montreal made them to a league-worst 21-36.
"I will listen at this point," he said.
"Am I disappointed? No question I'm disappointed. I still believe that this ballclub intact at the end of the season would be better than it is right now. But time is not on our side and we are behind the 8-ball, as we've talked about numerous times. And you can't be completely off the pool table, so to speak."
Last edited by nsulham on Sat Jun 12, 2004 11:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
If the Sox were to get him, where would they put him? They would have to include Damon or *gasp*...Nixon in order to make room for him. If neither of them were to be included that would make Manny the full time DH and Ortiz the full time 1st baseman (ohh boy). As much as I like Beltran, I think the Sox should look another direction and get another pitcher. I really think it would just be a rent-a-player and that's just not worth it.
There is such a thing called clutch and David Ortiz is the modern day definition of it
Joined: 10 Jan 2004
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Wishing Nixon would come back to the Sox
It's the smart move by the Royals. They're history for this year (and probably for the next ten, but that's another story). The sooner they offer Beltran, the more teams will be interested in renting him for prospects and money.
I'm hearing the White Sox are REAL interested. They are going to almost certainly lose Ordonez (with Boston a very possible '05 and beyond destination) and have enough money to go for Beltran now and sign him longterm as well. I still think the Padres will get involved, though the agent/GM level of dislike there is a stumbling block.
Regarding the Red Sox I would much rather see Maggs in a Sox uniform next year than Beltran. A lot of Beltrans real life perceived value is also what makes him a stud in fantasy - steals. On a team like the Red Sox or Yankees I can't see him getting the green light to run 45-50 times a season. Anyway it is looking a lot like the White Sox are going to make a very strong bid for him and it wouldn't surprise me much to see him in Chicago within a few weeks. From a fantasy perspective anywhere but KC is a huge improvement.