Remember that Soriano Trade Rumor? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Remember that Soriano Trade Rumor?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby Lofunzo » Sat Jun 12, 2004 7:39 pm

Preach on, reverend. I'm with you on that 1. ;-D
Lofunzo

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerEagle EyeHockey ModPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 11)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Amazinz » Sat Jun 12, 2004 8:21 pm

wrveres wrote:
Lofunzo wrote:I think that the Mets are gonna make a splash in the FA market in the offseason. :-?

Yes, so do I ... There will be of ton of "Past their prime" veterans for the Mets to invest in this offseason. ;-7

Well the old Steve Phillips regime is gone. Maybe Jim Duquette will be no better than Phillips and maybe Wilpon screws it up so badly that it doesn't matter what GM you have. But so far under Jim Duquette that Mets have made some heady moves and I like the position he has this team headed in. Let's give him a chance to do his job before we make off-the-cuff assumptions.

wrveres wrote:Which means they will need to free up money this year .... or now!

The Mets don't have to free up money. There contract and FA situation is a thing of beauty right now. The only blemish on it is Fat Mo but fortunately insurance took care of that. The FAs that the Mets do have could all be resigned and there would still be enough money left to sign Ordonez, Delgado and Freddy Garcia. (Just speculating to make my point.) But the Mets have veterans that won't last with the team long enough to see this team become a contender. They would be far more valuable to contending teams and would allow the Mets to stock pile even more youth in what is one of the best minor league systems in all of baseball.

wrveres wrote:And for all you people that have Jose Reyes in the HOF allready. the guy, has had one good month ...

You're missing the point. It has nothing to do with whether or not Reyes and Kazmir pan out. You are absolutely correct; they could both turn out to be busts.

This team (if the right moves are made) is about two years away from contending. The Mets have so many good prospects now that some of them are bound to pan out. It makes no sense to trade away youth and potential for a player who 1. Won't make you an instant contender and 2. Will be arbitration-eligible and then a FA by the time the team is a real contender.

If the Mets could take a legitimate shot at the W.S. then you'd be crazy to turn a Soriano deal down but they are not. The trade would be pointless.
Maine has a good swing for a pitcher but on anything that moves, he has no chance. And if it's a fastball, it has to be up in the zone. Basically, the pitcher has to hit his bat. - Mike Pelfrey
Amazinz
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Lofunzo » Sat Jun 12, 2004 8:30 pm

The problem with the Mets is that while Duquette is a good baseball guy, Fred and Baby Fred have too much say in the matter. They should look to the Bronx to see how good things were for the Yanks when the owner stayed away and let the baseball people do their jobs.
Lofunzo

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerEagle EyeHockey ModPick 3 Weekly Winner

Postby wrveres » Sat Jun 12, 2004 8:30 pm

Well they are 6 games out now. Certainly not worth tossing in the towel yet. If Ginter can resemble anything close to what he has done already and Leiter can stay healthy, they may be just one bat, Soriano, away from a run. Even though you and I know that the Mets are not going anywhere this year, what message does that send to the team, and the fans if they don't at least try and get that bat?
25                "Love the Padres"
Rafael

Dodgers FAIL|Mets FAIL|Canada FAIL
wrveres
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe Musketeer
(Past Year: 757)

Postby Amazinz » Sat Jun 12, 2004 8:31 pm

Lofunzo wrote:The problem with the Mets is that while Duquette is a good baseball guy, Fred and Baby Fred have too much say in the matter. They should look to the Bronx to see how good things were for the Yanks when the owner stayed away and let the baseball people do their jobs.

I absolutely agree with that. Hopefully J.D. can perform well enough and assert himself enough to overcome Wilpon's idiocy. Wilpon's son is the one who scouted Kaz. :,-(
Maine has a good swing for a pitcher but on anything that moves, he has no chance. And if it's a fastball, it has to be up in the zone. Basically, the pitcher has to hit his bat. - Mike Pelfrey
Amazinz
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Amazinz » Sat Jun 12, 2004 8:39 pm

wrveres wrote:Well they are 6 games out now. Certainly not worth tossing in the towel yet. If Ginter can resemble anything close to what he has done already and Leiter can stay healthy, they may be just one bat, Soriano, away from a run. Even though you and I know that the Mets are not going anywhere this year, what message does that send to the team, and the fans if they don't at least try and get that bat?

That's a NY mindeset coming from a Californian. *boggles* That type of thinking has burned the Mets in the past. It used to burn the Yankees too, like Lofunzo mentioned, until Steinbrenner got suspended and someone smart took over (Michaels). Met fans can be patient. If you visit the various Mets blogs (I'm sure you don't :-D) you might be surprised to see that most Met fans are down with the "out with the old, in with the new". Let's get our youth up here and give them some experience. I'd much rather watch a team lost because young potential is struggling than watch veterans play poorly. Just my $.02.
Amazinz
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

Postby Lofunzo » Sat Jun 12, 2004 8:42 pm

I have found that NY fans of any team will be O.K. with some down years as long as there is a master plan in the works. Even Yankee fans were O.K. once they saw that Stick had them going in the right direction in the early 90's.
Lofunzo

Previous

Return to Baseball Leftovers