Remember that Soriano Trade Rumor? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Remember that Soriano Trade Rumor?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby Amazinz » Fri Jun 11, 2004 11:58 pm

slomo007 wrote:Amazinz, read the links, they say that Soriano does want to come back to NY.

Any reference he has made to playing in NY again has been about the Yankees. I have read the article. Show me a quote that says Soriano wants to play for the Mets? It doesn't exist except for NY media who have said, "Sources in Soriano's family admitted Alfonso would be willing to play RF for the Mets in order to move back to New York." Umm, OK.

Issue number two, the Rangers are not going to get both Reyes and Kazmir for Soriano. First off, Reyes is the NY Mets poster child for the future. Trading him away for an ex-Yankee would be public relations suicide. No way they are going to do it.

Here's an article from BaseballProspectus concerning the trade that sums up how I feel better than I could:

BaseballProspectus wrote:If you believe the trade rumors, Alfonso Soriano could be headed back to New York. Texas wants Jose Reyes or Scott Kazmir, and the Mets don't want to give them up. Should they? Let's take a look.

Soriano for Reyes: Here's the Equivalent Average (EqA) that PECOTA projects for each player over the next five years.

Soriano Reyes
2004 .292 .261
2005 .294 .269
2006 .285 .282
2007 .288 .280
2008 .276 .298

Starting in 2006, Reyes should be just as good. He's also seven years younger, and a whole lot cheaper: he won't even be a free agent until these projections are in the past, while Soriano will cost $5.4 million this season, and a lot more in arbitration over the next two, and then even more as he becomes a free agent. If you're one player away from contention, then you think about it. The Mets aren't. Pass.

Soriano for Kazmir: Oh, boy. You know what they say: There's No Such Thing As A Pitching Prospect. But if there is such a thing, then Scott Kazmir is it. Who else has Kazmir's ceiling? Zack Greinke, maybe Cole Hamels. Nobody else. Kazmir's the type of prospect that makes even TNSTAAPP loyalists quake in their boots.

There are two reasons the Mets should not trade Scott Kazmir for Alfonso Soriano. One: it's a sub-optimal use of resources. Soriano's value to the Mets is less than to most teams, since they're set at both short and second. If they have to make Soriano an outfielder, he loses a ton of his value; heck, with Mike Cameron on board, they couldn't even move him to center. Two: the Mets are rebuilding. They do not need to trade a stud pitcher who could be in their rotation by July 2005 for someone who will be a free agent in three years and will cost them $25 million before then. As with Reyes, the difference between Soriano and Kazmir isn't just on the field but at the bank, and that money could be used elsewhere.

So unless the Rangers will settle for less (Justin Huber, maybe?), the Mets would be better served keeping the kids.
Maine has a good swing for a pitcher but on anything that moves, he has no chance. And if it's a fastball, it has to be up in the zone. Basically, the pitcher has to hit his bat. - Mike Pelfrey
Amazinz
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby swingaway » Sat Jun 12, 2004 12:31 am

another ny hype rumor mill. Why in the world would the rangers want a bat for trade and on top of that a 21 year old thats injuried plaqued to death already?
This trade will never happen unless they thrown in the pitcher along in the deal. This is just met fans venting not trading reyes early in the season while he was heathly.
Last edited by swingaway on Sat Jun 12, 2004 12:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
swingaway
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Pick 3 Weekly Winner

Postby slomo007 » Sat Jun 12, 2004 12:33 am

swingaway wrote:another ny hype rumor mill. Why in the world would the rangers want a bat for trade and on top of that a 21 year old thats injuried plaqued to death already?
This trade will never happen unless they thrown in the pitcher along in the deal.

Why?? Because money is part of the game.
slomo007
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicEagle Eye

Postby bibsybob » Sat Jun 12, 2004 12:37 am

the mets will not trade their uber prospects like kazmir or wright unless they are very stupid. Those 2 are extremely valuable and project to be superstar studs... Plus, soriano is very overrated.
bibsybob
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby TheRaven » Sat Jun 12, 2004 12:57 am

thetongueofire wrote:im really bad at keeping up with rumors and crazy updates... thanks for the links but from a fantasy standpoint i want Sori to stay exactly where he is now... moving to Shea is a huge downgrade from Arlington and would smother his HR numbers.. also if he hits leadoff or even second his rbis will take a hit cos just cos his rbi opps. will greatly reduce of the pitchers hitting spot and even the mets crappy number 8 hitter (dunno who he is... ).. also the mets and Howe are not known for running too much. the mets linup in general is nowhere as explosive as the young Rangers linup. so, stay in Texas and all of us should have patience and i think he still prolly will live up to his billing as a first round pick. ;-D

Smother exactly what power numbers?

/disgruntled Soriano owner
TheRaven
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby thetongueofire » Sat Jun 12, 2004 1:00 am

TheRaven wrote:
thetongueofire wrote:im really bad at keeping up with rumors and crazy updates... thanks for the links but from a fantasy standpoint i want Sori to stay exactly where he is now... moving to Shea is a huge downgrade from Arlington and would smother his HR numbers.. also if he hits leadoff or even second his rbis will take a hit cos just cos his rbi opps. will greatly reduce of the pitchers hitting spot and even the mets crappy number 8 hitter (dunno who he is... ).. also the mets and Howe are not known for running too much. the mets linup in general is nowhere as explosive as the young Rangers linup. so, stay in Texas and all of us should have patience and i think he still prolly will live up to his billing as a first round pick. ;-D

Smother exactly what power numbers?

/disgruntled Soriano owner

P.A.T.I.E.N.C.E. B-)
[size=10]Manny Ramirez....$20 million
Pedro Martinez....$17.5 million
Curt Schilling...$12 million (and a $2 million bonus)
Never hearing a Yankee fan chant 1918 again...priceless. [/size]
thetongueofire
General Manager
General Manager

Postby hybrid » Sat Jun 12, 2004 4:09 am

I don't personally think the Mets would do a deal like that. Though I don't like Kazmir to much due to his injuries and small size, he does have one of the highest cielings. The Mets players are younger, cheaper, and have a high upside. You don't trade two players/prospects like that unless they have given up on one or both of the prospects.

Also on Soriano, people keep saying wait for those power numbers, but I don't really think they will get to much better. Half the year is almost gone now. Only what ... 18 games away? He has 8 hr's (in supposedly a better hitters ball park), not to mention his 5 sb's is pretty sickening .. in the bad way.
hybrid
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy Expert

Postby wrveres » Sat Jun 12, 2004 6:58 am

Amazinz wrote: The Mets are likely becoming sellers very soon despite what the NY media wants. Just my $.02. ;-)

very true ... ;-D
wrveres
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe Musketeer
(Past Year: 720)

Postby DaQ » Sat Jun 12, 2004 8:35 am

slomo007 wrote:Soriano batting leadoff again?? That would be a thing of beauty! Thanks for the article link...

I don't know if that would happen. He would likely hit 2nd for the Mets because of Kaz Matsui. And remember, Shea is a pitchers park that hurts HR numbers.
DaQ
General Manager
General Manager

Postby warrick95 » Sat Jun 12, 2004 11:17 am

Kazmir and Reyes for Soriano would be a ripoff...in the Rangers' favor. Kaz is one of the top SP prospects in the league. Long term, Reyes will be a very solid SS both defensively and at the plate. He has potential 20 homer power with 40-50 steal speed. And if he follows in Soriano's footsteps...who knows...we may see even more power. Soriano is rare, but he's not worth this much.
warrick95
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers