Remember that Soriano Trade Rumor? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Remember that Soriano Trade Rumor?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Remember that Soriano Trade Rumor?

Postby slomo007 » Fri Jun 11, 2004 11:17 pm

Well it just reappeared on the Southwest Sports Report...

Apparently the Mets are again considering trading both Jose Reyes and Scott Kazmir (sp.) for Alfonso Soriano. They went on to say "Soriano was still in a Rangers uniform tonight, but stay tuned..."

They got this from a New York Newsday article, I don't have any link for that though...maybe some New Yorkers will help us out.

I know it's just a rumor, but I thought it was worth mentioning...I think the Mets are fed up with Reyes and this would allow M. Young to move back to 2B, and have Reyes be the Rangers' SS of the future...makes sense for all sides kind of.
slomo007
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicEagle Eye
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Tavish » Fri Jun 11, 2004 11:19 pm

I was going to post something about this earlier today, but the Beltran rumors wear me down.

Newsday Link

There is another rumor involving Soriano to the Mets that didn't include Reyes, moving Alfonso to the OF when Reyes is healthy again.

Second Soriano to mets rumor
Last edited by Tavish on Fri Jun 11, 2004 11:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Bury me a Royal.
Tavish
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterWeb Supporter
(Past Year: 34)

Postby slomo007 » Fri Jun 11, 2004 11:21 pm

Soriano batting leadoff again?? That would be a thing of beauty! Thanks for the article link...
slomo007
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicEagle Eye

wow

Postby JOEG » Fri Jun 11, 2004 11:24 pm

Damn a trade that works great for both Franchises... NYM needs a bat sooo bad... Just think how good Texas is going to be in 4 yeas if they keep that nuclues together??
Poop
JOEG
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Amazinz » Fri Jun 11, 2004 11:28 pm

I think this is just NY newspaper sensationalism. The NY papers have not falling out of love with Soriano despite what he said about not wanting to play for the Mets. Why are the Mets going to trade for someone who doesn't want to play for them? That dumb trade rumor Jayson Stark made up about Boston trading Manny Ramirez to the Mets the other day is more likely than this IMHO. The Mets are likely becoming sellers very soon despite what the NY media wants. Just my $.02. ;-)
Maine has a good swing for a pitcher but on anything that moves, he has no chance. And if it's a fastball, it has to be up in the zone. Basically, the pitcher has to hit his bat. - Mike Pelfrey
Amazinz
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby frog99 » Fri Jun 11, 2004 11:28 pm

:-t i don't think texas would take a guy who has missed over months of the season and has cronic hamstring problems (but hay some GMs aren't too smart)
Image The Glory Days.
frog99
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Pick 3 Weekly Winner

Postby Trot Nixon » Fri Jun 11, 2004 11:29 pm

That would be GREAT for Reyes owners...just think of how many runs he'll score on the Rangers....*drools*.....well that is if he ever plays again :-t
Thanks chipper!!!!

There is such a thing called clutch and David Ortiz is the modern day definition of it
Trot Nixon
General Manager
General Manager

Postby slomo007 » Fri Jun 11, 2004 11:30 pm

Amazinz wrote:I think this is just NY newspaper sensationalism. The NY papers have not falling out of love with Soriano despite what he said about not wanting to play for the Mets. Why are the Mets going to trade for someone who doesn't want to play for them? That dumb trade rumor Jayson Stark made up about Boston trading Manny Ramirez to the Mets the other day is more likely than this IMHO. The Mets are likely becoming sellers very soon despite what the NY media wants. Just my $.02. ;-)

Amazinz, read the links, they say that Soriano does want to come back to NY. I'm sure he'd rather be on the Yankees...but he'll take what he can get I'm sure ;-) .

I think he will be traded, I just don't know if the Mets will give up BOTH Reyes and Kazmir, but how awesome for the Rangers would that be if they could get both?
slomo007
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicEagle Eye

Postby kaz » Fri Jun 11, 2004 11:40 pm

I doubt Soriano would bat leadoff in NY, he's too good of a power hitter. Probably second and leave Kaz at leadoff.
"They invented the All-Star Game for Willie Mays." -Ted Williams
kaz
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Sweet 16 Survivor

Postby thetongueofire » Fri Jun 11, 2004 11:47 pm

im really bad at keeping up with rumors and crazy updates... thanks for the links but from a fantasy standpoint i want Sori to stay exactly where he is now... moving to Shea is a huge downgrade from Arlington and would smother his HR numbers.. also if he hits leadoff or even second his rbis will take a hit cos just cos his rbi opps. will greatly reduce of the pitchers hitting spot and even the mets crappy number 8 hitter (dunno who he is... ).. also the mets and Howe are not known for running too much. the mets linup in general is nowhere as explosive as the young Rangers linup. so, stay in Texas and all of us should have patience and i think he still prolly will live up to his billing as a first round pick. ;-D
[size=10]Manny Ramirez....$20 million
Pedro Martinez....$17.5 million
Curt Schilling...$12 million (and a $2 million bonus)
Never hearing a Yankee fan chant 1918 again...priceless. [/size]
thetongueofire
General Manager
General Manager

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers