Is Fantasy Baseball More Luck or Strategy? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Is Fantasy Baseball More Luck or Strategy?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Is fantasy baseball more luck or strategy?

Primarily luck, a little strategy (that's why I'm losing)
1%
Slightly more luck than strategy
18%
50-50 between luck and strategy
21%
Slightly more strategy than luck
44%
I've made it a precise science (that's why I'm winning)
16%

Total votes : 77

Postby NZF » Fri Jun 11, 2004 11:32 pm

Definitely luck plays a part, but more in H2H than roto.

It takes more than just good luck to win a competitive league.

Draft day is important but not as important as people think. It's what you do after the draft until the end of the season that makes the difference between winning and being just an also run.
When you're right no one remembers, when you're wrong no one forgets - NZF
NZF
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby thehat » Sat Jun 12, 2004 12:25 am

Luck is always a factor, but skill is what gets it done in the long run.
thehat
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicFantasy Expert

Postby Jack-In-A-Box » Sat Jun 12, 2004 12:32 am

I voted slightly more luck probably because of whats going on this week alone more. My pitchers ERA for the week is .89, whip is .98, in 31IP. I've gotten 2 wins,2svs. This isnt including what T.Hudson has going for me tonight.. but so far so good. Anyway.. the guy I'm playing..and currently losing to ERA is 5.91,whip 1.22, 35IP has 4wins,3saves. So he's gotten lucky that even though his pitchers are pitching like dogcrap, he's getting the run support that my pitchers can't buy. Not to mention I lead the league in points and I'm 5th in rankings has got me slightly buggin to.
Jack-In-A-Box
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby Quaker » Sat Jun 12, 2004 12:41 am

Sure luck plays a part. Over short periods of time, standings may be completely random. However, as observations increase, you'll see the people who know what they're doing at the top more often than not.

That is, in any one season, a rookie with no clue may win the league, but over many years and many leagues, you'll the people who know what they're doing have a better track record.

To me, it's similar to poker. In any one hand, the winner may be the lucky guy with a flush. However, over a tournament, or a string of tournaments, you'll see the people who are good appear over and over again. Look as the World Series of Poker. Sure, an amateur might win the tournament once in a while, but look at the final 20 guys- the same ones are there every year.
Quaker
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby stomperrob » Sat Jun 12, 2004 1:00 am

To quote A.J. Foyt: "The harder I work, the luckier I get".
Still holds the MLB record for Grand Slams with 23
stomperrob
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Football ModPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 Survivor
Home Cafe: Football

Postby ironman » Sat Jun 12, 2004 9:22 am

I run a 20 team H2H league on Yahoo. While I'm not saying luck doesn't play a role at all, I also don't think its mere coincidence that the same managers generally gravitate to the top of the standings or the bottom of the standings each season.
Wendigo's Camaro
ironman
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerEagle EyeWeb Supporter
(Past Year: 94)

Postby wkelly91 » Sat Jun 12, 2004 10:11 am

I don't think luck will move you up...only down through injuries. It takes skill to win and those who are skilled consistantly win, except when mowed down by injuries. ;-D
wkelly91
General Manager
General Manager

Postby PresHabib » Sat Jun 12, 2004 12:20 pm

I think bad luck has a much greater shot at helping you lose a league than does good luck have a shot at helping you win a league. I also think that luck is applied differently in roto and h2h. In fact, the best week I've had offensively over the 4 teams I've ever done came a few weeks ago in a H2H league, but I lose 8-1 because the guy had 13 runs, 8 homers, 26 rbi, 3 SB, and a 490something avg. on the saturday night and crushed me. Meanwhile I've had weeks where i've won offensively because the other guy has just had an awful week. However, i consider these examples exceptions to the rule, rather than the rule. More often than not, the best team with the best managing will win. In roto, teams won't be vicimtimized by the same kind of luck thats present in H2H leagues. The team that is drafted best should always win.

Obviously there are exceptions. One is 2003 Pat Burrel, but the biggest is injuries. One kid in one of my leagues has sosa, marcus giles, richie sexson, bill mueller ANNND 3 of their 4 REPLACEMENTS on the DL right now. Thats just crappy luck and luck will effect him more than others. I still think though that the best managers should be able to manage themselves around injuries and thats how you remove luck from the equation. I have Nomar, Garret Anderson, and Kerry Wood and I've managed to keep myself only a half game out in my H2H league because I've made good deals at good times and the chances I've taken have paid off when I've played the matchups right. Now my guys are healthy and I'm poised to grasp the lead which is rightfully mine! ;-D

Basically it just comes down to...luck is present but you can get around it if you research enough and respond in good fashion and timing to your injuries. You can also be successful by not drafting proven injury-prone players like Kevin Brown (d'oh) to minimize the chances that luck will attack you.

So theres my answer. I've got more to say but I want to get out and enjoy the day! B-)
Rest in peace Mitch Hedberg. I name my fantasy team "Buoyancy of Citrus", in your honor.
1968-2005
PresHabib
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby KolbSaves » Sat Jun 12, 2004 12:31 pm

to paraphrase Machiavelli "luck is needed to gain opportunity but skill is required to capitalize on it"
"If I have seen further it is by standing on the shoulders of giants."
-Isaac Newton
KolbSaves
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Yikes » Sat Jun 12, 2004 12:45 pm

KolbSaves wrote:to paraphrase Machiavelli "luck is needed to gain opportunity but skill is required to capitalize on it"

nice quote
;-D
Insert Signature Here...
Yikes
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers