Sports Illustrated predictions - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Sports Illustrated predictions

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Sports Illustrated predictions

Postby Arlo » Wed Mar 20, 2002 2:06 pm

As always, Sports Illustrated's predictions for the upcoming season may or may not be the most accurate, but they're certainly the most talked about.

Aside from dooming Jason Giambi with the dreaded cover curse, SI predicts that the Yankees will beat the Cardinals in the World Series, the Diamondbacks, Braves, White Sox and Mariners will win the other divisions, and the A's and Astros will sneak in as wild cards.

What do you think? What are your bold predictions for this year?

Somehow, I can't see the Astros beating out the Mets or Giants for the wild card, and I think SI has sold Boston short as well. And are the Rockies really the worst team in the NL West? Somehow, I don't think so.
Arlo
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby petben » Wed Mar 20, 2002 3:25 pm

I think there is an outside chance that the Angels can make some noise and sneak past the A's. The A's are going to miss Giambi terribly, and Art Howe will undeservedly lose his job as the season draws to a close.

I think somehow the Astros are going to pay for bedding down w/Enron. I know it's not their fault, but I just have a feeling.

And yes, CO is the worst of the West.
petben
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

SOX!

Postby cwebb » Wed Mar 20, 2002 8:41 pm

Did I mention that the White Sox are gonna rule?

Some guys say you can't root for two teams but I'm a chicago man!
cwebb
Bouncer
Bouncer

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Football

Postby Dan » Thu Mar 21, 2002 2:43 pm

Well, I put in a breezer in here, predicting the Yanks wont make the postseason... I know, I know, everyones gonna laugh now, but I wjust dont like is their aging pitching staff, and maybe somehow, they will gonna falter this season...the Jays will get their shot in the division and will play the RedSox for the postseason...

The White Sox, M's and A's sound good, but in the NL I see the D'Backs going back to postseason...the Braves once again will loos in the playoffs, and I like the Astros, too. But I dont like the Cardinals here...I think the Mets will squeeze into the playoffs, but wont get far...

So we may have a D#Backs - Mariners Series, and the Desert team will make it back to back!
Dan
Maitre D'
Maitre D'

Cafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly Winner

Postby Arlo » Sat Mar 23, 2002 8:29 am

Wow - a bold prediction by Dan the Man! Bet you a quarter the D-Backs don't make it two in a row... :->
Arlo
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Schilling

Postby cwebb » Sat Mar 23, 2002 8:30 am

I'll bet you a Schilling they have a very good chance!
cwebb
Bouncer
Bouncer

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly Winner

Postby Arlo » Sun Mar 24, 2002 6:24 pm

All right - I'll bet you a Penny. :-b
Arlo
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby Tim » Fri Apr 05, 2002 5:54 pm

about the a's missing giambi, with giambi they scored 5.5 runs a game, more then what their picthing needed to win games, with pena, a younger, cheaper solution to giambi, you will get a 290 hitter who can bash in 30 homers, of corse he wont put up giambi numbers, but he will still have an excellent rookie year...chavez is progressing more every year, justice is a veteren leader with power, i dont think the a's will score anyless then the 5.5 runs they got with giambi. and even if their runs average moves down to 5.0 which it definatley wont get lower then that, thats still more then enough to win games with their pitching.
Tim

Friendliness: %

Postby Arlo » Fri Apr 05, 2002 6:17 pm

Good point about Justice, especially the part about him being a leader. I agree that Pena will put up decent numbers (although I do expect some slumps along the way), but one of the main dangers in losing Giambi seems to be the effect his departure might have in the clubhouse. Before the season, word was that the team was looking for Chavez to take on a leadership role, but Justice might be better able to fill that gap. If this happens, I agree that talk of the A's demise is premature indeed. Excellent observation - this will be an interesting situation to follow.
Arlo
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Return to Baseball Leftovers