Anyone watch Madson get his 2 outs? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Anyone watch Madson get his 2 outs?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Anyone watch Madson get his 2 outs?

Postby CPHfighter » Wed Jun 09, 2004 9:13 am

I realize Wolf's injury gives Bowa problems. But really, who didn't see this coming? He threw a kid out there to make his first major league start against the White Sox in Chicago. I'm not surprised at all he got shelled. Madson has thrown great all season; way to kill his confidence, Larry. I think he should have gone with Telemaco, who at least has some experience in the role, and let Madson get his feet wet at home, or at least against a team that doesn't slug like the Sox.
Anyone think he can rebound?
CPHfighter
T-Ball Trainer

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby KULCAT » Wed Jun 09, 2004 10:00 am

we will know for sure in five days. The cool thing is that now Madson has SP eligibility in case you have a holds league now you can stick him anywhere
"Nothing is this world worth remembering was ever accomplished without Pasion"-Hegel
KULCAT
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Fantasy Expert
(Past Year: 1)

Postby nsulham » Wed Jun 09, 2004 10:09 am

The knock on Madson that I've heard is that he was the in bullpen for a reason. His stuff is better suited coming out of the pen.
nsulham
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicFantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter

Postby thaklanksta » Wed Jun 09, 2004 10:21 am

I'm a madson owner who would also like to know a little more about his outing last night.

Did anyone see the game, or the first inning?

What went so wrong?
thaklanksta
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Pick 3 Weekly Winner

Postby bucsfan04 » Wed Jun 09, 2004 10:34 am

No, but i saw the highlights. He got shelled. 5 homers, or sumthin like that.

Is Madson worth a roster spot over Embree?
bucsfan04
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Cafe Writer

Postby jbones733 » Wed Jun 09, 2004 12:35 pm

thaklanksta wrote:I'm a madson owner who would also like to know a little more about his outing last night.

Did anyone see the game, or the first inning?

What went so wrong?

White Sox fan here saw the game. I wouldnt worry too much. Balls were just FLYING out of Comiskey (us cellular) last night, the sox pounded everyone who came in, it was just there night, even Buerhle gave up 6 in 2 IP, but hey left him & he settled down enough to get the W.

First Major league start for Madson kid will be fine, just a rough outing, cant ignore how impressive he was out of the pen.

He made some good pitches too, Sox were extremeley patient & waited for him to make mistaked, couple of bloop hits too
jbones733
General Manager
General Manager

Cafeholic

Postby WhiteHot » Wed Jun 09, 2004 1:05 pm

Phillies fan and watched the game. The kid just left pitches over the heart of the plate and they got smacked.

He has a real over-the-top delivery. I think this delivery hinders side-to-side movement on pitches. He relies on fastball and changeup too much IMO.

He's got away with a lot because he's only pitched for one inning at a time. If batters see him multiple times, I think he'll get shelled again.
WhiteHot
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby tmoney » Wed Jun 09, 2004 2:46 pm

WhiteHot wrote:He has a real over-the-top delivery. I think this delivery hinders side-to-side movement on pitches. He relies on fastball and changeup too much IMO.

He's got away with a lot because he's only pitched for one inning at a time. If batters see him multiple times, I think he'll get shelled again.

Same thing that I was thinking. He cant get away with being a starter and having that goofy delivery. Once batters catch on to him, it will get even worse. Also, it takes a much different mentality and strategy to be a starter. Closers tend to be more aggressive while starters have to work the batter more. Watching the game, I did not think that Madson really understood that concept and was leaving pitches over the plate. Granted the balls were flying like crazy last night, but this is nothing anyone should have been suprised about. It happens all the time when managers try to do this. It happened with Neal Cotts earlier this year who was pretty solid in the setup role. He got his first start and got lit up. Dont get me wrong, Madson has great stuff. I just think he was a setup man for a reason.
tmoney
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Return to Baseball Leftovers