0-3 Reds...Boone will be fired? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Cincinnati Reds

0-3 Reds...Boone will be fired?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

0-3 Reds...Boone will be fired?

Postby cincyreds » Fri Apr 04, 2003 9:33 am

Well the Reds have not gotten off to a good start. With all that talent in the lineup, we just don't have the pitching to do anything this year it looks like.

Will Boone be the first manager fired this season? What if the Reds get off to an 0-10 start or something, will he get canned?

C'mon Reds!!
The BIG RED Machine will rise again.
cincyreds
Member #1000
Member #1000

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby EricF » Fri Apr 04, 2003 9:33 pm

Before the season began, the odds were that the first manager to be fired would be Lloyd McClendon. But Lloyd's looking a lot better after the first 4 games! Boone seems to be more on the hot seat, but when the hitting comes around, like it is doing this Friday night, Boone will look better, too. I hope Reds' management is not too hasty. A firing and hiring will probably make more disruption than needs be for this ball club.
EricF
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby chichpsalm » Wed Apr 16, 2003 10:25 pm

Well, now it's almost 2 weeks later and the Reds are looking worse (if you can believe it) than the first week of the season. Hire-fire is usually not a good situation, and I think Boone needs to be given an extended period of time with a healthy Griffey before we give him the axe.
Did you know there are no such things as "white" or "black" people?

http://onehumanrace.com/
chichpsalm
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby chaindog35 » Tue Apr 22, 2003 11:42 am

You can't blame Boone for the Reds problems. There is some question whether Jim Bowden will be back next year. However, the Reds GM always does the most with the least. The Reds lack any real pitching talent and really don't have a pitcher that would be anything more than a 5th starter on other teams. They have two good OFs in Dunn and Kearns, and two decent IFs in Casey and Boone. beyond that, the Reds are a weak team. We need to trade for some pitchers or bring some up through the farm system. This is the only way the reds are going to be a winner.
chaindog35
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Mock(ing) Drafter
Home Cafe: Football

Postby ntremain23 » Thu Apr 24, 2003 12:20 am

I wouldn't say their pitching staff is that horrible in the talent department. Reitsma, Wilson, Graves, Anderson, Haynes isn't close to the best in the league, or even in the middle but I wouldn't put them last. Once Graves starts building stamina and getting more used to starting I think he will be a decent SP. I don't believe Reitsma's lived up to his potential yet.
N Tremain
ntremain23

Postby chaindog35 » Thu Apr 24, 2003 11:34 pm

Their pitching staff is horrible in the talent department, at least relative to the rest of the NL central. They have no true ace and they really have a group of guys who would be decent 3/4/5 starters on most decent teams. The reds have never had this great talent in recent years, and it wouldn't be as big of a deal if they didn't play in the Great American Launching Pad aka Coors East as I've heard it called. PLus, any team that starts Jimmy anderson, who consistently has an ERA over 5, is in trouble.
chaindog35
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Mock(ing) Drafter

Postby p_rininger426 » Fri Apr 25, 2003 3:07 pm

I don't see why they aren't starting Willy Mo in CF, Reggie Taylor's not bad, but Willy Mo will grow into a decent OF. I agree, Jimmy Anderson is one of the worst starters in the majors.
p_rininger426
Little League Legend
Little League Legend

Postby EricF » Wed Apr 30, 2003 12:37 pm

Wily Mo has great potential, but while the Reds are trying to climb back into the race, they can't have him striking out 3 out of 4 times at the plate. Just hope Guillen can keep up his hot hitting.
EricF
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Return to Cincinnati Reds