Why did Clemens get the win? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Why did Clemens get the win?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Why did Clemens get the win?

Postby Sam Handwich » Wed Jun 09, 2004 1:18 am

he only pitched 6.2 and the stros scored their run in the top of the 7th.
There is no "I" in team but there are two "I"s in statistics - oh, there are also a few "tits" in there also.
Sam Handwich
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Lofunzo » Wed Jun 09, 2004 1:20 am

Because the Astros scored in the top of the 7th and he came out and pitched in the bottom of the 7th. Basically, he was in the game when the winning run was scored.
Lofunzo

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerEagle EyeHockey ModPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 11)

Postby proncis » Wed Jun 09, 2004 2:13 am

As a lifelong Mariner fan it pained me to watch tonights game.

The Mariners should've beaten Clemens. Piniero was matching him pitch for pitch. I hate Clemens and the M's did have their chances. The team just can't score runs. Edgar just looked awful tonight.

Just rebuild the damn team already! (rant over)
proncis
College Coach
College Coach

Postby Bukoski77 » Wed Jun 09, 2004 3:51 am

proncis wrote:As a lifelong Mariner fan it pained me to watch tonights game.

The Mariners should've beaten Clemens. Piniero was matching him pitch for pitch. I hate Clemens and the M's did have their chances. The team just can't score runs. Edgar just looked awful tonight.

Just rebuild the damn team already! (rant over)

As a Pineiro owner who started him, I feel your pain in regards to the sentiment that tonight hurt you to watch the game. The M's skiper even let Pineiro muscle through the 8th inning after haveing topped 100 pitches bye the end of the 7th, all in hopes that Pineiro wouldnt have to take the loss, or would get a win if they just could have put up 2 runs in the bottom of the 8th. After Suzuki worked Clemens for 11 pitches with about 8 of them being fouls in the bottom of the 7th, I thought there was a slight chance, but no cigar as B.Lidge and O.Dotel closed it out.

To the initial question that Lofunzo answered : As long as a SP leaves the game with the lead after 4INN ( innings pitched) it might be 5INN, and the other team does not tie or take the lead, then the SP will be credited with the win.

For RP I believe total or amount of innings pitched are irrelevant and that, As long as the reliever records the last out against his opponent, with the game tied or before his team reclaims the lead, he will be credited with the W (or stat junkie politicaly correct RW/ReliefWin), as long as the opponent does not tie or take the lead before the games conclusion.

blah....blah....blah...... In laymens terms, if a pitcher leaves the game with the lead haveing been made while he was pitching, he will get the win if his team doesnt blow it.

Even though Clemens didnt finish the inning, his team already had the lead before he got the first two outs in the 7th. Had he not pitched at all in the 7th, whoever the reliever was that got the first out afterwards, provided the Astros retained the lead, would have been credited with the win or RW/ReliefWin.
"Son we would like to keep you around here but were trying to win a pennant this year."
Bukoski77
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby Rajin » Wed Jun 09, 2004 4:04 am

Bukoski77 wrote:To the initial question that Lofunzo answered : As long as a SP leaves the game with the lead after 4INN ( innings pitched) it might be 5INN, and the other team does not tie or take the lead, then the SP will be credited with the win.

5 Innings.
Rajin
College Coach
College Coach

Return to Baseball Leftovers