Politte new ChiSox closer? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Politte new ChiSox closer?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby FantasyNoob » Wed Jun 09, 2004 11:10 am

It basically says for now he's going back to what he said during preseason and going with closer by committee (he'll choose who to throw in a situation on his "gut feeling" he said). He also says that he still envisions Koch as the eventual closer, once he gets back on track. It seems like any of the ChiSox closers might be worth grabbing for now if you're desperate for saves and have some dead weight taking up space on your bench (*cough*Contreras*cough*).
FantasyNoob
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby warrick95 » Wed Jun 09, 2004 11:38 am

slomo007 wrote:
warrick95 wrote:Pick....up....(my left arm is trying to hold back my right hand from tyyyyyyyyyy...ping this).................Takatsu........

There I said it...as much as it pains me to do so. Actually pick up either if you have room. They both have great ratios and will get saves. Takatsu will get more saves. The interesting thing is that Marte is considered the closer of the future. If they get out of the race, I wouldn't be surprised to see him get the job (as you can see, I couldn't bear finishing the post without pimping Damaso a bit).

Congrats Warrick, you've made a huge step in your rehab from Marteitis.

;-D I need further rehab, though. This is more serious than Josh Hamilton's drug problem! :-D
warrick95
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby warrick95 » Wed Jun 09, 2004 11:42 am

Thank your boy, Cornbread Maxwell. ;-)

Guillen's gut to trump 'book' on picking closer

E-mail this story

Printer-friendly format
Search archives

More Headlines
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Sox sweat out major slugfest

Sox's decision on 5th starter still on hold

Saving early, often

Takatsu's turn as closer?

Sox pick another QB

By Bob Foltman
Tribune staff reporter

June 8, 2004, 11:20 PM CDT

White Sox manager Ozzie Guillen said in spring training he wouldn't necessarily follow "the book" when it came to his bullpen.

He was going to go with the best match-up at the time, so if there was a situation in which Damaso Marte pitched the ninth inning of games, so be it.

That strategy blew up on him Opening Day in Kansas City and Guillen became a devoted follower of the modern-day manager gospel, which dictates naming a closer and sticking with him no matter what.

Or at least until that closer blows a couple saves.

Billy Koch did just that last week on the West Coast, the most galling coming Sunday in Seattle when he allowed three runs, three hits, three walks and four stolen bases in a 5-4 loss to the Mariners.

Now, two full months into the season, Guillen has come full circle, saying Tuesday he's going to go with his "gut feeling."

"We're going to go with anyone," Guillen said. "We're going to look at the match-ups in the ninth. It could be Marte, it could be [Shingo] Takatsu, it could be [Mike] Jackson or it could be Koch."

Guillen said he still envisions Koch being his "closer"—once he gets himself on track. Guillen said he would use Koch any time he thinks the matchup is right. Once Guillen has confidence Koch can close out games, he'll be back to working the ninth exclusively.

"Just because he had a bad trip, he's not out of the picture," Guillen said. "I just want him to be what he's supposed to be."

Koch didn't seem bothered by the new situation.

"I think everybody in that bullpen is able to become a closer," Koch said. "That's Ozzie's call."

Koch said if he were managing, he would stick with himself in the role.

"I had a rough trip," he said. "I gave up two broken-bat singles in Oakland that bit me and I just had a flat-out bad one in Seattle. I don't know what it is in Seattle but I've never pitched well there."

Guillen agonizes over changing what he believes has been a strong bullpen. That's why he won't come out and name Takatsu as his closer.

"I don't want to break something I have," Guillen said. "[Takatsu] never has been in this role in the States. When you saw Takatsu in spring training, I never thought he could pitch in this league. That's why I brought him [along] little by little."

Savvy veteran that he is, Takatsu isn't about to get drawn into the controversy, no doubt thankful for the language barrier that shields him from the media most of the time.

"I've been there and done that and I know what he's going through," Takatsu said through his interpreter. "It's a very tough job to do."

So tough, it seems, it's going to take a cast of characters to do it—at least for a while

My comments: Don't read too much into it.
1. Koch can't close...his control is too wild. And he's not effectively wild, he's just wild.
2. Ozzie probably doesn't want to bring his confidence down.
warrick95
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby BronsonPinchot » Wed Jun 09, 2004 11:58 am

First of all...Polittle wasn't the only man ready last night, both Marte and Takatsu could've came in. I like Takatsu the best out of the available choices. And the White Sox aren't going to be out of the division race...they are blatantly one of the Central's top teams, if not its best.
BronsonPinchot Beginner
College Coach
College Coach

Postby jbones733 » Wed Jun 09, 2004 12:38 pm

I love Ozzie, he is hilarious, & i love the " closer by situation" tag he put on it rather than by comittee.

in close games, it will prob be Takatsu if a couple of lefties are up it will be marte , if its like a 3 run lead , Koch might get a chance to get back in there or even Politte & like Ozzie said keep an eye on Mike Jackson :-b
jbones733
General Manager
General Manager

Cafeholic

Postby slomo007 » Wed Jun 09, 2004 12:39 pm

I think Jackson is SOL after last night's game...lol.

But yeah I like JBones' assessment...I figure that's pretty much accurate.
slomo007
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicEagle Eye

Postby AKhomebrewer » Wed Jun 09, 2004 12:48 pm

Bit of info that may be pertinent to the original question: Marte, Takatsu and Koch had all thrown the night before. That probably played a role in trotting out Pollitte, who was fresh (and had the three-run lead, of course). I think everyone else here has adequately confirmed he is not the closer.
AKhomebrewer
General Manager
General Manager

Cafeholic

Postby Armed and Hammered » Wed Jun 09, 2004 1:02 pm

AKhomebrewer wrote:Bit of info that may be pertinent to the original question: Marte, Takatsu and Koch had all thrown the night before. That probably played a role in trotting out Pollitte, who was fresh (and had the three-run lead, of course). I think everyone else here has adequately confirmed he is not the closer.

I agree & it looked to me like if anyone got on Takatsu was comin in.
Armed and Hammered
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Previous

Return to Baseball Leftovers