Politte new ChiSox closer? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Politte new ChiSox closer?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Politte new ChiSox closer?

Postby FantasyNoob » Wed Jun 09, 2004 12:03 am

I'd heard that Takatsu was the likely candidate to replace Koch, but Politte was brought in for the save after the Phillies rally in the 9th. Anyone have a scoop on this?
FantasyNoob
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby slomo007 » Wed Jun 09, 2004 12:06 am

Not sure why it happened really...but don't read into it too much, he sucks. He couldn't hold the job in Toronto last year, hasn't pitched well this year, so I have no reason to believe he will hold it, even if they give him a shot.
slomo007
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicEagle Eye

Postby thehat » Wed Jun 09, 2004 12:14 am

They were up 14-8, Jackson fell apart, so they brought in Politte at 14-11 with the bases clear. He began throwing when it was still a blowout, and so was really the only option at the moment. Read absolutely NOTHING into this. He's not an option.
thehat
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicFantasy Expert

Postby FantasyNoob » Wed Jun 09, 2004 12:17 am

thanks guys. I'm actually fairly solid for closers (5 in a 13 team points league, though Affeldt and Valverde are 2 of them), but was thinking of dropping someone to monopolize and work for a trade, but this doesn't sound like the kind of guy I want.
FantasyNoob
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby tmoney » Wed Jun 09, 2004 12:20 am

Mike Jackson entered the game in the top of the 6th with the score 13-6, with the White Sox in the lead. He gave up 2 runs in the 8th, but Guillen decided to leave him in for the 9th with the score being 14-8. He then had Polite warming up in case he was needed. I think Marte may have warmed up for a short time, but Guillen figured that the game was in hand, so he had him sit back down. BUT, then Mike Jackson gave up a 3 run homer to Thome, and then it became a save opportunity with the score 14-11.
He then brought Polite in the game because he was the one who was warming up at the time. It was not because Polite is the new closer, simply because he was the one available.

The good news is that as soon as Thome him the home run and Polite came in the game, Takatsu began to warm up. There was no need to bring him in as Polite finished it off. Dont worry about it.
tmoney
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby RynoSandberg » Wed Jun 09, 2004 12:27 am

I think it's going to be a 2 man show initially with the southpaw Marte and the right hander Takatsu.

Apparently Guillen has said it will be a "closer by situation", so that being said, I would expect Marte and Takatsu to share opps depending on the hitting matchups. Eventually one of them could emerge as the sole closer. This is pure speculation at this point, obviously.

I agree with theHat's explanation of Polittle's save. Politte hasn't been good this season, so he has to be considered a darkhorse/longshot for save opps.

ps - I like Takatsu the most in this situation and would be the guy I would pick up right now if I had to pick one of them. Japan is less than MLB, but you don't become the all-time career saves leader in Japan by dumb luck. He's got the mental makeup and the experience to be a MLB closer. The question is does he have the stuff? So far, the answer is yes. He's not nicknamed Mr. Zero for nothin'.
Ryan ExpressIncognitoA Helping Head
RynoSandberg
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby warrick95 » Wed Jun 09, 2004 1:01 am

Pick....up....(my left arm is trying to hold back my right hand from tyyyyyyyyyy...ping this).................Takatsu........

There I said it...as much as it pains me to do so. Actually pick up either if you have room. They both have great ratios and will get saves. Takatsu will get more saves. The interesting thing is that Marte is considered the closer of the future. If they get out of the race, I wouldn't be surprised to see him get the job (as you can see, I couldn't bear finishing the post without pimping Damaso a bit).
warrick95
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby punsoh » Wed Jun 09, 2004 8:18 am

I would NOT pick up Takatsu just yet ... straight from the manager's mouth:

http://chicagosports.chicagotribune.com ... -headlines

(you might have to register but it's free)
punsoh
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby slomo007 » Wed Jun 09, 2004 9:23 am

warrick95 wrote:Pick....up....(my left arm is trying to hold back my right hand from tyyyyyyyyyy...ping this).................Takatsu........

There I said it...as much as it pains me to do so. Actually pick up either if you have room. They both have great ratios and will get saves. Takatsu will get more saves. The interesting thing is that Marte is considered the closer of the future. If they get out of the race, I wouldn't be surprised to see him get the job (as you can see, I couldn't bear finishing the post without pimping Damaso a bit).

Congrats Warrick, you've made a huge step in your rehab from Marteitis.
slomo007
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicEagle Eye

Postby Cornbread Maxwell » Wed Jun 09, 2004 10:46 am

punsoh wrote:I would NOT pick up Takatsu just yet ... straight from the manager's mouth:

http://chicagosports.chicagotribune.com ... -headlines

(you might have to register but it's free)

I dont want to register.
Can you tell us what he said?
Cornbread Maxwell
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertPick 3 ChampionSweet 16 Survivor
Home Cafe: Football

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers