Podsednik question...... - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Podsednik question......

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby Rohan » Tue Jun 08, 2004 7:01 pm

i picked him off waivers last year and he's in a mild slump right now. the second half of the year, he was great. he'll end up batting around .300 this year
Rohan
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Trazcon » Tue Jun 08, 2004 8:07 pm

jbones733 wrote:You guys r insane, (now im speaking to the majority here) but Your the same people who say Beltran is better than Vlad cause of his steals. So Pods steals dont count. he has 24 (double beltran)

same amount if hits & runs as Beltran , & only a few less homers, now this is the gut people have going # 3 & pods a mid-late rd pick is Overated ???? u guys boggle my mind

Pods is a tremendous asset to any fantasy team

Keep preachin' to the choir!!! (Or at least to those Podsednik haters)
"I think they out to get me, helpless was livin' sinful. If you was me all this pain I'm feelin would been done killed you"-- Nas
Trazcon
College Coach
College Coach

Postby BronsonPinchot » Tue Jun 08, 2004 8:16 pm

Podsednik is fine. He went around the 10th round in my drafts, I think he's been producing at about that level. All I expected from the guy were runs and steals, the bit of power has been a bonus, the low average is a negative but I don't see how anyone was actually expecting .300. You shouldn't be disappointed unless you reached for him.
BronsonPinchot Beginner
College Coach
College Coach

Postby Tavish » Tue Jun 08, 2004 10:02 pm

jbones733 wrote:You guys r insane, (now im speaking to the majority here) but Your the same people who say Beltran is better than Vlad cause of his steals. So Pods steals dont count. he has 24 (double beltran)

same amount if hits & runs as Beltran , & only a few less homers, now this is the gut people have going # 3 & pods a mid-late rd pick is Overated ???? u guys boggle my mind

If Pods hits 20 HR (quite a few less than what Beltran will) drives in 70 (much less than Beltran will) then we can talk about how the two are comparable. 20-70 would be pretty big number jumps for Pods while 30-100 is simply what is expected of Beltran. Pods realistically will have an advantage in one category. Beltran is even in two ( runs and ave) and blasts him in the other two.

Bury me a Royal.
Tavish
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterWeb Supporter
(Past Year: 25)

Postby jbones733 » Tue Jun 08, 2004 10:45 pm

Tavish wrote:

If Pods hits 20 HR (quite a few less than what Beltran will) drives in 70 (much less than Beltran will) then we can talk about how the two are comparable. 20-70 would be pretty big number jumps for Pods while 30-100 is simply what is expected of Beltran. Pods realistically will have an advantage in one category. Beltran is even in two ( runs and ave) and blasts him in the other two.

Im not comparing Beltran to Pods , Im saying value wise. Beltran a top 5 pick to Pods a 10th or later rd pick. I dont know how people can say Pods was a fluke last year

& how is 30 Homers expected when he has never hit 30 in his career. ??
jbones733
General Manager
General Manager

Cafeholic

Postby warrick95 » Tue Jun 08, 2004 10:52 pm

mikcou wrote:
Amazinz wrote:I don't think he's overrated. I'm middle of the road on my opinion of him. I neither hate him or love him but I do love his production for a guy drafted very late. I guess he's overrated if people were grabbing him early but no one in my leagues did.

exactly what I think of him

I've been saying it again and again. Look at his minor league stats. He's not a high average type of guy. Those who think he'll repeat last year's stats are absolutely wrong. .270 sounds about right people.

Amazinz, guess who took him early in our Real GM League...Green Rebels. He really may be that stupid... :-D
warrick95
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Tavish » Tue Jun 08, 2004 11:22 pm

jbones733 wrote: Im not comparing Beltran to Pods , Im saying value wise. Beltran a top 5 pick to Pods a 10th or later rd pick.

I apologize then, I guess I misread your post. Pods as a 10th round pick is getting good value. I had him ranked as the 3rd player in the basestealer mode and I start looking at them around the 7th round. If Pods ends up hitting in the .290 range with 15 HR then he will most likely be worth a pick in the 5th round range to me next year.

& how is 30 Homers expected when he has never hit 30 in his career. ??

He hit 29 in 2002, and 26 in an injury shortened 2003 year. 30 is not at all a stretch and was just about what every projection system out there figured for him to hit.

Bury me a Royal.
Tavish
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterWeb Supporter
(Past Year: 25)

Postby Lofunzo » Wed Jun 09, 2004 1:13 am

warrick95 wrote:
mikcou wrote:
Amazinz wrote:I don't think he's overrated. I'm middle of the road on my opinion of him. I neither hate him or love him but I do love his production for a guy drafted very late. I guess he's overrated if people were grabbing him early but no one in my leagues did.

exactly what I think of him

I've been saying it again and again. Look at his minor league stats. He's not a high average type of guy. Those who think he'll repeat last year's stats are absolutely wrong. .270 sounds about right people.

Amazinz, guess who took him early in our Real GM League...Green Rebels. He really may be that stupid... :-D

I agree. His speed might not slump but I wouldn't expect him to approach .300 consistently.
Lofunzo

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerEagle EyeHockey ModPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 11)

Postby Ender » Wed Jun 09, 2004 9:14 am

Pods is the 15th highest ranked OF going by yahoo ranking system, no clue how accurate that is but that is during his slump of the year. When his avg gets up there again, and it will go up to around 290 at least, then he'll back around the top 10. He's by far the most valuable SB guy out there, hitting HR's as well and is a good clutch hitter. I just don't get how you can say he's overrated unless people were taking him in the first 3 rounds of your draft or something. In our draft he went in the 6th round and he has been producing at least as good as a 6th round pick should be.
Ender
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy Expert

Postby rmeesig » Wed Jun 09, 2004 10:43 am

Ender - you must be forgetting, many people here feel if a player isn't meeting his previous year's totals, it must have been a fluke season. Don't you know that stars can't slump? ;-)

I agree though - he will bounce back and raise that AVG 35-40pts. His 2 games last week where he opened with HRs gave me new confidence in him. I haven't benched him yet as I am in the lead in SBs largely because of him.
If a man dwells on the past, then he robs the present.
But if a man ignores the past, he may rob the future.
The seeds of our destiny are nurtured by the roots of our past.
[i]-- Master Po[/i]
rmeesig
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers