Predictions on How Long K-Rod Closes? Where does he rank? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Predictions on How Long K-Rod Closes? Where does he rank?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Predictions on How Long K-Rod Closes? Where does he rank?

Postby blankman » Tue Jun 08, 2004 3:26 pm

Anyone have any idea if and how long K-Rod will be the closer for the Angels? I assume until Percival comes back but is there any chance he keeps the job for the rest of they year?

IF he closes all year, where would you rank him among these guys from here on out?
Gagne, Wagner, Smoltz, Rivera, Foulke, Dotel, Graves, Benitez, Izzy, Hoffman and anyone else you can think of
blankman
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Graphics Expert
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby mikcou » Tue Jun 08, 2004 3:34 pm

once percival comes back he wont be closing anymore
mikcou
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Mock(ing) Drafter

Postby Rajin » Tue Jun 08, 2004 3:36 pm

If he closes all year, he's amazing and on a fantastic team. I'd take him over anyone on that list except River, Gagne, and Foulke. The problem is, Percival is going to get his job back as the closer, and K-rod will be back to the Jamesian relief ace role he's has been in so far.
Rajin
College Coach
College Coach

Postby Bloody Nipples » Tue Jun 08, 2004 3:36 pm

Rajin wrote:If he closes all year, he's amazing and on a fantastic team. I'd take him over anyone on that list except River, Gagne, and Foulke. The problem is, Percival is going to get his job back as the closer, and K-rod will be back to the Jamesian relief ace role he's has been in so far.

exactly my thoughts. if he closes like he sets up, he'll be up there at the top.
Bloody Nipples
General Manager
General Manager

Postby T-Bone Costanza » Tue Jun 08, 2004 4:05 pm

Why is it that every time I read about this situation, armchair doctors are all prognosing Percival to be back closing just fine? Where's the guarantee that he comes back healthy? Is the injury that minor that he'll be right back lickety split? I'm just annoyed because everyone says he will be back, but nobody qualifies it with a possible timeline corresponding to whatever the heck his problem is.
T-Bone Costanza
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Rajin » Tue Jun 08, 2004 4:15 pm

Percival doesn't have a broken arm or anything serious, he's just out for 15 days with inflammation in his elbow. He makes 8 million this year, throws heat, and is a proven closer when healthy (30+ save the past 8 years). You don't have a guy like that in a set-up role without creating serious PR and clubhouse problems. The team doesn't even have any baseball motivation to do that, because they have been using k-rod has a relief ace in important innings and some saves already, which is the best thing for them to do if they want to win.
Rajin
College Coach
College Coach

Postby d18Mike » Tue Jun 08, 2004 4:27 pm

There are plenty of examples of great set-up guys who falter in the closer role. I think it's too early to crown K-Rod el supremo closer until he has held the job for awhile. It take a different approach and mentality. Until he proves he has both, I'll withold judgement. However I do like him vulturing some saves with him for a week or two. ;-)
d18Mike
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby T-Bone Costanza » Tue Jun 08, 2004 4:32 pm

I'd almost rather have K-Rod in a setup role, I have 3 other closers and my ceiling on Saves is only two more points. It's just in my particular situation I'm using him for K's for the most part. I'd hate to see anything ruin the steady supply he gives me, so I'd almost rather see him stay the 8th inning guy.
T-Bone Costanza
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby mikcou » Tue Jun 08, 2004 5:28 pm

Rajin wrote:Percival doesn't have a broken arm or anything serious, he's just out for 15 days with inflammation in his elbow. He makes 8 million this year, throws heat, and is a proven closer when healthy (30+ save the past 8 years). You don't have a guy like that in a set-up role without creating serious PR and clubhouse problems. The team doesn't even have any baseball motivation to do that, because they have been using k-rod has a relief ace in important innings and some saves already, which is the best thing for them to do if they want to win.

exactly why Percival will be back closing when he comes off the dl
mikcou
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Mock(ing) Drafter

Postby bjm97 » Wed Jun 09, 2004 11:51 am

Perc should be the closer no doubt but my biggest question is how long does it take to recover from a strained pronator muscle? Is this a simple muscle strain and he will be ready to go in 15 days, or should I expect to be without him for longer?

Jun 9 The Los Angeles Daily News reports a bone scan and MRI on Anaheim Angels P Troy Percival (arm) revealed a strained right pronator muscle in his forearm. Percival is currently on the 15-day disabled list.
bjm97
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers