Looking for a 3b - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Looking for a 3b

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Looking for a 3b

Postby isis » Thu Jun 27, 2002 8:10 pm

Hello, I am looking to trade for a 3b. I have some pitching to spare and am in desperate need for some power.

My roster,

Santiago C
McGriff 1B
Vina 2B
Ramirez 3B
Batista ss
OF
Bernie
Damon
Ramirez
Sheffield

Relievers
Julio, Juan Acevedo, Osuna, Percival

Starters
Pedro, K. Wood, W. Williams, O.Perez, W. Miller, R. Ortiz

I am thinking about trading Wood for some power. I'd rather get rid of Ortiz but I doubt that will get me much. Bernie is a nice outfielder but he does not hit for great power.

I'd like Glaus or Pujols. Wood alone might get me Glaus or Rolen or should I hold on to A. Ramirez and upgrade in the OF to see if a combo of Wood /B. Williams or R. Ortiz/W. Miller/ B. Williams can get me a big bopper for the OF.

This is a 5x5 league.

Feedback appreciated. Thanks.
isis
College Coach
College Coach

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby tallmike » Thu Jun 27, 2002 9:39 pm

Glaus has been in a bit of a funk lately so you may be buying low - just what you want. He'll still hit homers and drive in runs. Nice if the average came up - after he's on your team.

I always think Bernie makes good trading away. He is a great player but a good fantasy player. Reputation seems to be bigger than value so that might be an option.

Depends where you sit in pitching who you trade away I suppose - tough to say. If your eligibility requirements are one game - Glaus can play short and that gives you a bit more flexibility.

Nothing specific - an AL centric perspective.
tallmike

Mock(ing) Drafter

If you want power....

Postby ntremain23 » Fri Jun 28, 2002 12:31 am

I would try to get Eric Chavez of the A's...He's a great power hitter and drives in a lot of runs... I would either trade Wood straight up for him, or maybe one of your relievers and Woody Williams or something in that nature.
N Tremain
ntremain23

Postby Arlo » Fri Jun 28, 2002 8:22 am

Those sound like solid options. I'd start by shopping Ramirez/Miller, though, before upping the ante to Wood. Your rotation is excellent, but losing your number two starter would leave a bit of a hole.
Arlo
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby tallmike » Fri Jun 28, 2002 10:45 am

I like Arlo's approach here. Use Ramirez to lower the pitching hurdle. Whoever you trade with will have to replace a batter and may value Ramirez if no one else available. depends on league depth.

Clearly Chavez is a nice choice but on fire and will cost you more. Might get Glaus for less and not unreasonable to expect similar numbers for the rest of the year.

Really depends on what the folks holding any of those 3rd base options are looking for. Easy to make a wish list but needs to be something in it for them.
tallmike

Mock(ing) Drafter

3B

Postby yeaok » Sat Jun 29, 2002 4:46 pm

I say Tyler Houston definetely, 350 average this season. 500 average on June. Remember, he was once a first round draft pick and now hes finally living up to his potential. If hes on waivers, take him and run. What do you think of Houston, Arlo?
yeaok

Home Cafe: Football
Friendliness: %

Postby Arlo » Sat Jun 29, 2002 5:33 pm

Houston's on his way to a breakout season, although I do expect him to cool off quite a bit. Still, he'll be undervalued by a large number of fantasy owners and could make a great cheap pickup. Of course, if he qualifies at positions other than 3b in your league, his value increases quite a bit.

Keep an eye on where in the lineup he hits over the next week or so - if he moves up the order, he'll look even better than he does now.

All in all, I'd go with a more proven player before Houston, but if the bigger names are too pricey, Houston could be just what the doctor ordered.
Arlo
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Return to Baseball Leftovers