Kerry - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to General Talk

Kerry

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby Madison » Thu Jun 24, 2004 3:16 am

CrazyPooja90 wrote:I see your point and I understand. However let me ask you this. Do you think if pot was legalized then the number of users would SIGNIFICANTLY increase? (over the long term I mean. I think it would be a safe assumtpion that directly after the law delcaring it legal that there would be a big one month spike of users)

My point is this: The world is defienetely already overflowing with brain deads. However I don't think by legalizing pot that we would substansially be adding to the total of idiots. People who do't give a damn about the health hazards do it now anyway, and those same type of people are the ones who would still be doing it if it was legal. I doubt there are large quantities of people who are only not smoking pot because it is illegal.


Do you get my point?


Sure, I see your point :-) .

I just believe the spike would be bigger. Society in general is getting worse, not better. Parents are not raising their children, kids are not being taught in school, most have no idea about right and wrong anymore, etc. All those factors lead to a worse society and it's not getting any better. If society was on an upswing, then I might agree that legalizing pot would be ok because most people would recognize the danger and stay away. The way society is now, we are begging for trouble by legalizing it. In my opinion of course. ;-)
Yes doctor, I am sick.
Sick of those who are spineless.
Sick of those who feel self-entitled.
Sick of those who are hypocrites.
Yes doctor, an army is forming.
Yes doctor, there will be a war.
Yes doctor, there will be blood.....
Madison
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

User avatar
ExecutiveEditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Posts: 53856
(Past Year: 1)
Joined: 29 Apr 2003
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Taking Souls...

Postby LBJackal » Thu Jun 24, 2004 3:29 am

I'd say that between a person who only smokes cigarettes, and a person who only smokes marijuana, the person smoking cigarettes would have a MUCH MUCH greater chance of dying. People who smoke marijuana do so once or maybe twice a day. People who smoke cigarettes range anywhere from 10-30 cigarettes a day. I don't think it's any contest that cigarettes are more deadly..........this is taking into account the addictiveness of marijuana. However, from my experience (I don't smoke either cigareetes or marijuana, this is just an observation) people who have never smoked cigarettes and begin to smoke marijuana, also begin to smoke cigarettes. That means that indirectly, marijuana can be considered as deadly, or even moreso than cigarettes.

My view is that marijuana should be legalized for a few reasons:

1) We would be able to tax it
2) People would be less likely to use it as a method to be cool
3) We would know exactly what "ingredients" are in it; which makes it safer

A concern is that it will be mixed with addictive chemicals, like cigarettes were, which wuold make it even more addictive. And like Mad said, using pot extensively does make poeple into idiots. Two friends of mine form school smoke all the time (multiple times per day) and every other word they say is

"yo...................dude.............did you ever notice" and there's a huge pause between words while they think of what they're tryign to say. And anythign they do wrong is blamed on being high, ie: "Sorry for punching a hole in the wall outside your bedrooom door........I was sooo stoned man!" and "sorry for smashing the screen form the livingroom window over my head last night, man I was so high!" - these events actually happened a few months ago. Altogether it's a bad thing but I think we have to accept it's going to happen either way........I don't think significantly more people would use marijuana if it was legal.....and even more might stop usign it if it were legal. Maybe.

Madison wrote:If society was on an upswing, then I might agree that legalizing pot would be ok because most people would recognize the danger and stay away. The way society is now, we are begging for trouble by legalizing it.


Is this the same person that said it's fat people's fault for eating too much? That the decisions they make are up to them? It's the same thing IMO: you're fostering an abuse of some sort - theoretically. Obviously you can't make over-eating fast food a crime, but it's the same idea; let stupid people make up their own minds.
Image

"Jack, will you call me, if you're able?"

"I've got your phone number written, in the back of my Bible."
LBJackal
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
Pick 3 Weekly Winner
Posts: 9196
Joined: 1 Jul 2003
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: The Hotel Yorba

Postby matmat » Thu Jun 24, 2004 3:31 am

Madison wrote:One good thing is that we have no state taxes. :-)


you just said you had lotto....
Give a man a fish and he'll eat for a day, teach a man to fish and he'll drown because you forgot to teach him to swim.
[url=http://www.indra.com/8ball/front.html]Invaluable Fantasy Baseball Resource[/url]
matmat
General Manager
General Manager

User avatar

Posts: 4120
Joined: 12 Sep 2003
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: North cross down

Postby Madison » Thu Jun 24, 2004 3:35 am

LBJackal wrote:
Madison wrote:If society was on an upswing, then I might agree that legalizing pot would be ok because most people would recognize the danger and stay away. The way society is now, we are begging for trouble by legalizing it.


Is this the same person that said it's fat people's fault for eating too much? That the decisions they make are up to them? It's the same thing IMO: you're fostering an abuse of some sort - theoretically. Obviously you can't make over-eating fast food a crime, but it's the same idea; let stupid people make up their own minds.


Ahhhhh but the difference here is that what the potheads do, affects everyone else. Fat neighbors, or fat people driving doesn't scare me in the least. A heavy pothead (part brain dead already) or currently stoned living beside me, or behind the wheel of a car affects myself and everyone around them. There is a difference. ;-)
Yes doctor, I am sick.
Sick of those who are spineless.
Sick of those who feel self-entitled.
Sick of those who are hypocrites.
Yes doctor, an army is forming.
Yes doctor, there will be a war.
Yes doctor, there will be blood.....
Madison
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

User avatar
ExecutiveEditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Posts: 53856
(Past Year: 1)
Joined: 29 Apr 2003
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Taking Souls...

Postby Madison » Thu Jun 24, 2004 3:38 am

matmat wrote:
Madison wrote:One good thing is that we have no state taxes. :-)


you just said you had lotto....


Correct. No state taxes. The lotto is voluntary. The government does not force anyone to play. Yes, the state makes money from lotto sales, but it's certainly not the same as "taking" taxes out of your check. B-)

As Chris Rock would say: "No one pays taxes. The government TAKES taxes. Where I'm from, that's called a JACK!". Lol. :-D
Yes doctor, I am sick.
Sick of those who are spineless.
Sick of those who feel self-entitled.
Sick of those who are hypocrites.
Yes doctor, an army is forming.
Yes doctor, there will be a war.
Yes doctor, there will be blood.....
Madison
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

User avatar
ExecutiveEditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Posts: 53856
(Past Year: 1)
Joined: 29 Apr 2003
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Taking Souls...

Postby matmat » Thu Jun 24, 2004 3:52 am

Madison wrote:
Correct. No state taxes. The lotto is voluntary. The government does not force anyone to play. Yes, the state makes money from lotto sales, but it's certainly not the same as "taking" taxes out of your check. B-)


some might (and do) call that a tax on the well, errr... uhmmm... stupid :-D

as far as the drug issue goes... imagine all the "boutiques" one could open up :)
Give a man a fish and he'll eat for a day, teach a man to fish and he'll drown because you forgot to teach him to swim.
[url=http://www.indra.com/8ball/front.html]Invaluable Fantasy Baseball Resource[/url]
matmat
General Manager
General Manager

User avatar

Posts: 4120
Joined: 12 Sep 2003
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: North cross down

Postby LBJackal » Thu Jun 24, 2004 3:59 am

Madison wrote:
LBJackal wrote:
Madison wrote:If society was on an upswing, then I might agree that legalizing pot would be ok because most people would recognize the danger and stay away. The way society is now, we are begging for trouble by legalizing it.


Is this the same person that said it's fat people's fault for eating too much? That the decisions they make are up to them? It's the same thing IMO: you're fostering an abuse of some sort - theoretically. Obviously you can't make over-eating fast food a crime, but it's the same idea; let stupid people make up their own minds.


Ahhhhh but the difference here is that what the potheads do, affects everyone else. Fat neighbors, or fat people driving doesn't scare me in the least. A heavy pothead (part brain dead already) or currently stoned living beside me, or behind the wheel of a car affects myself and everyone around them. There is a difference. ;-)


Yes but you said "If society was on an upswing, then I might agree that legalizing pot would be ok". Even if society were on an upswing, it doesn't mean that people won't smoke pot and drive. I don't think legalizatoin would increase people smoking and driving. There would be regulations put in place where you can't drive if you have pot in your system. There is no such thing in place now. Legalization would create the need for strict regulations with regards to driving, and people who freely smoke and drive now would probably be less likely to do so post-legalization because the legal limits would be well known and the penalties would be harsh. As of now, you can smoke a joint and go for a ride without being guilty of anything - at least as far as I know. Other than possession of marijuana, if you still have the roach...........but thta's besides the point.
Image

"Jack, will you call me, if you're able?"

"I've got your phone number written, in the back of my Bible."
LBJackal
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
Pick 3 Weekly Winner
Posts: 9196
Joined: 1 Jul 2003
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: The Hotel Yorba

Postby Madison » Thu Jun 24, 2004 4:02 am

matmat wrote:
Madison wrote:
Correct. No state taxes. The lotto is voluntary. The government does not force anyone to play. Yes, the state makes money from lotto sales, but it's certainly not the same as "taking" taxes out of your check. B-)


some might (and do) call that a tax on the well, errr... uhmmm... stupid :-D



Lol. :-D

I didn't say I play the lotto, just that it's there. ;-) The actual odds of winning is mind boggling. 8-o
Yes doctor, I am sick.
Sick of those who are spineless.
Sick of those who feel self-entitled.
Sick of those who are hypocrites.
Yes doctor, an army is forming.
Yes doctor, there will be a war.
Yes doctor, there will be blood.....
Madison
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

User avatar
ExecutiveEditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Posts: 53856
(Past Year: 1)
Joined: 29 Apr 2003
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Taking Souls...

Postby Madison » Thu Jun 24, 2004 4:12 am

LBJackal wrote:Yes but you said "If society was on an upswing, then I might agree that legalizing pot would be ok". Even if society were on an upswing, it doesn't mean that people won't smoke pot and drive. I don't think legalizatoin would increase people smoking and driving. There would be regulations put in place where you can't drive if you have pot in your system. There is no such thing in place now. Legalization would create the need for strict regulations with regards to driving, and people who freely smoke and drive now would probably be less likely to do so post-legalization because the legal limits would be well known and the penalties would be harsh. As of now, you can smoke a joint and go for a ride without being guilty of anything - at least as far as I know. Other than possession of marijuana, if you still have the roach...........but thta's besides the point.


Driving under the influence of a controlled substance. Automatic loss of license for one year here in Texas.

Even that isn't good enough to stop it.

Sure, I said if society was on an upswing. Meaning that kids growing up actually had some sort of intelligence and upbringing. For the most part, they don't. There are a few, but they are few and far between. I don't believe a society in a state such as ours is really in a position to be responsible for their actions of a substance that puts you out of control of your actions. They simply cannot handle the responsiblity. I definitely don't want the uneducated idiots getting dumber simply because the government wants to make a few bucks.

I'm actually quite curious to see the new breathalyzer system get started. I bet the outrage will be unreal. B-)
Yes doctor, I am sick.
Sick of those who are spineless.
Sick of those who feel self-entitled.
Sick of those who are hypocrites.
Yes doctor, an army is forming.
Yes doctor, there will be a war.
Yes doctor, there will be blood.....
Madison
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

User avatar
ExecutiveEditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Posts: 53856
(Past Year: 1)
Joined: 29 Apr 2003
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Taking Souls...

Postby LBJackal » Thu Jun 24, 2004 4:15 am

Madison wrote:
LBJackal wrote:Yes but you said "If society was on an upswing, then I might agree that legalizing pot would be ok". Even if society were on an upswing, it doesn't mean that people won't smoke pot and drive. I don't think legalizatoin would increase people smoking and driving. There would be regulations put in place where you can't drive if you have pot in your system. There is no such thing in place now. Legalization would create the need for strict regulations with regards to driving, and people who freely smoke and drive now would probably be less likely to do so post-legalization because the legal limits would be well known and the penalties would be harsh. As of now, you can smoke a joint and go for a ride without being guilty of anything - at least as far as I know. Other than possession of marijuana, if you still have the roach...........but thta's besides the point.


Driving under the influence of a controlled substance. Automatic loss of license for one year here in Texas.


How can they prove you're under the influence of a controlled substance? There isn't a breathalyzer for marijuana.
Image

"Jack, will you call me, if you're able?"

"I've got your phone number written, in the back of my Bible."
LBJackal
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
Pick 3 Weekly Winner
Posts: 9196
Joined: 1 Jul 2003
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: The Hotel Yorba

PreviousNext

Return to General Talk

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest

Forums Articles & Tips Sleepers Rankings Leagues


Get Ready...
The 2015 MLB season starts in 12:51 hours
(and 90 days)

  • Fantasy Baseball
  • Article Submissions
  • Privacy Statement
  • Site Survey 
  • Contact