What is wrong with Renteria? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

What is wrong with Renteria?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby DaveClay12 » Tue Jun 08, 2004 1:01 pm

Renteria and, gulp, Reyes.
Thank you to soty for hooking me up with another awesome sig!
DaveClay12
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 11)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby funatic » Tue Jun 08, 2004 1:07 pm

Renteria, Vidro and Chavez.

I still have faith in Renteria, and I do hope that Chavez comes back strong. Vidro... what can I say...
funatic
College Coach
College Coach

Postby BronsonPinchot » Tue Jun 08, 2004 1:11 pm

Renteria just isn't good. This guy isn't Tony Gwyn (sp), you cannot expect him to hit .330 every year. He's also not Ricky Henderson, so you can't expect him to steal 30 or 40 bases every year. He isn't HoJo in his prime, so you can't expect him to knock in over 100 runs every season. And he is batting towards the bottom of the order, so you can't expect him to score over 100 yards every year. And the thing is, for him to be worth a pick at the spot most people drafted him, he HAS to do these things. Renteria had a career year last season. He isn't as good as that. Just remember, a couple of years ago, Renteria was a latter round pick in fantasy drafts. Thats where he should've gone this season as well, mid-rounds tops. He just isn't that good of a fantasy player, regardless of whether or not people think he is.
BronsonPinchot Beginner
College Coach
College Coach

Postby Kelly Gruber » Tue Jun 08, 2004 1:18 pm

Forget about slumping because of his contract and whatnot, howabout slumping because that is the player he really is. Look at his career numbers; nothing special. Only his last 2 seasons have been good, but those are the only 2 times he's batted above 300. Right now he's batting about 260, which is not far from the norm of his career.

Look at his numbers from 2001 and expect a little better, but so far he hasn't shown any signs to suggest that the last 2 seasons are the player he has become, rather 2 good career seasons amongst a mediocre career.

You probably won't get much for him now, but if you are looking to trade for him then do not give up anybody good. Right now I'd rather have Orlando Cabrera; he has a better chance of turning his season around than Renteria.
An unanswered question is better than an unquestioned answer
Kelly Gruber
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby funatic » Tue Jun 08, 2004 1:20 pm

Orlando Cabrera over Renteria... I Really don't think so...
funatic
College Coach
College Coach

Postby Ender » Tue Jun 08, 2004 1:23 pm

Its mostly injury issues and mental issues, he's playing very frustrated. He'll come around and no way in the world should you take cabrera over him, thats just silly talk~. Look at his stats for april when he was healthy, more or less on track with last year for avg etc, he was injured in may and put up poor stats. June has been too short a month to judge yet, but the fact he's taking some BB"s again to me says he's starting to come out of the slump.
Ender
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy Expert
(Past Year: 451)

Postby Bwannna » Tue Jun 08, 2004 3:10 pm

Moving him to 2nd in the order last night was an encouraging sign as well, and should give him more hit in front of Edmonds and Rolen.
Bwannna
College Coach
College Coach

Postby Lofunzo » Tue Jun 08, 2004 3:17 pm

BronsonPinchot wrote:Renteria just isn't good. This guy isn't Tony Gwyn (sp), you cannot expect him to hit .330 every year. He's also not Ricky Henderson, so you can't expect him to steal 30 or 40 bases every year. He isn't HoJo in his prime, so you can't expect him to knock in over 100 runs every season. And he is batting towards the bottom of the order, so you can't expect him to score over 100 yards every year. And the thing is, for him to be worth a pick at the spot most people drafted him, he HAS to do these things. Renteria had a career year last season. He isn't as good as that. Just remember, a couple of years ago, Renteria was a latter round pick in fantasy drafts. Thats where he should've gone this season as well, mid-rounds tops. He just isn't that good of a fantasy player, regardless of whether or not people think he is.

There's just not much truth to what you wrote. He is good. He is in his prime and his numbers have gotten better across the board for the last few years. No one ever compared him to Gwynn or HoJo. The former was a great hitter. I have no idea why you brought up the latter. He couldn't hit his way out of a paper bag and was only good for power. He had a 5 year stretch with only 3 years to speak of. Comparing Reneria to a .249 career hitter is silly. He is a #2, 3, or 5 hitter. Any movement in the order is an attempt to shake things up. I agree that he might have gone early in a ton of drafts but that doesn't mean that he's not good. Talking about his place in the draft a couple of years ago is meaningless as well. A couple of years ago, Pujols wasn't even drafted. A year ago, Burrell was a top 5 (round) pick. This year, he wasn't even drafted in a lot of leagues.

If you don't want to take him, fine. Just don't say that he isn't good. The same things are said about Jeter. While overrated relative to where he gets drafted, Jeter is a better fantasy SS than most others.
Lofunzo

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerEagle EyeHockey ModPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 18)

Postby Bwannna » Tue Jun 08, 2004 3:25 pm

^
|
|
|

well said ;-D
Bwannna
College Coach
College Coach

Postby rmeesig » Tue Jun 08, 2004 4:00 pm

BronsonPinchot wrote:Renteria just isn't good. This guy isn't Tony Gwyn (sp), you cannot expect him to hit .330 every year. He's also not Ricky Henderson, so you can't expect him to steal 30 or 40 bases every year. He isn't HoJo in his prime, so you can't expect him to knock in over 100 runs every season. And he is batting towards the bottom of the order, so you can't expect him to score over 100 yards every year. And the thing is, for him to be worth a pick at the spot most people drafted him, he HAS to do these things. Renteria had a career year last season. He isn't as good as that. Just remember, a couple of years ago, Renteria was a latter round pick in fantasy drafts. Thats where he should've gone this season as well, mid-rounds tops. He just isn't that good of a fantasy player, regardless of whether or not people think he is.

Most ridiculous post I've ever seen on this site. Absurd...
If a man dwells on the past, then he robs the present.
But if a man ignores the past, he may rob the future.
The seeds of our destiny are nurtured by the roots of our past.
[i]-- Master Po[/i]
rmeesig
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers