What is wrong with Renteria? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

What is wrong with Renteria?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

What is wrong with Renteria?

Postby DaveClay12 » Mon Jun 07, 2004 4:08 pm

I haven't noticed a lot of chatter about this, but I've been wondering about Renteria ever since I traded Brian Giles for him at the beginning of the year. His numbers are way way down. I was just wondering if anyone knows anything - nagging injuries, vision problems? anything? do people think he will rebound, or should I try to trade him based on his reputation over the past two years?

Thanks.
Thank you to soty for hooking me up with another awesome sig!
DaveClay12
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby CrazyPooja90 » Mon Jun 07, 2004 4:10 pm

He is just slumping, I bet he bounces back by the end of the month, at the latest.
"I'm going to meet the greatest umpire of all, and he knows I'm innocent."

-Shoeless Joe Jackson
CrazyPooja90
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby smelson » Mon Jun 07, 2004 4:11 pm

I also own him...I've been wondering the same thing, but I'm guessing that he's just in a prolonged slump. I think that he will have a big second half. We've already waited out this long for him to play well, so there's no use in doing anything about him, because he is due to bust out of it eventually.
smelson
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby j_d_mcnugent » Mon Jun 07, 2004 4:45 pm

he has some nagging lower back problems. additionally, he is probably stressing about his contract situation. he is a free agent at the end of the year. a few years ago when it was rumored the cards were thinking about trading him he went into a huge slump. i think he would feel a lot more comfortable if he had a new contract but he (or his agent) decided not to negotiate during the season.
back from the dead
j_d_mcnugent
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe Ranker

Postby CrazyPooja90 » Mon Jun 07, 2004 4:47 pm

j_d_mcnugent wrote:he has some nagging lower back problems. additionally, he is probably stressing about his contract situation. he is a free agent at the end of the year. a few years ago when it was rumored the cards were thinking about trading him he went into a huge slump. i think he would feel a lot more comfortable if he had a new contract but he (or his agent) decided not to negotiate during the season.

OH YEAH, I forgot about the contract thing. Good point, yeah he hits so much more compfortably without the pressure of a contract running out. The cards know this and are doing there best to work something out.

-Shoeless Joe Jackson
CrazyPooja90
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby DaveClay12 » Mon Jun 07, 2004 4:53 pm

That's interesting... I did not know that. At this point, if he keeps playing like he has been, I can't even think about keeping him (I'm in a keeper), so the question really is, should I package something and get what I can for him, or just wait it out and hope that his performance the rest of the way turns him back into the keeper I thought I traded for?
Thank you to soty for hooking me up with another awesome sig!
DaveClay12
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby GucciBaseballs » Mon Jun 07, 2004 4:55 pm

he is slumping now, but wasn't he injured for a couple of days a few weeks ago. He will get better, but I wouldn't expect numbers anything like last years.
"I am ready to meet my Maker. Whether my Maker is prepared for the great ordeal of meeting me is another matter."
- Sir Winston Churchill
GucciBaseballs
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby CrazyPooja90 » Mon Jun 07, 2004 4:58 pm

DaveClay12 wrote:That's interesting... I did not know that. At this point, if he keeps playing like he has been, I can't even think about keeping him (I'm in a keeper), so the question really is, should I package something and get what I can for him, or just wait it out and hope that his performance the rest of the way turns him back into the keeper I thought I traded for?

Good question. Eventually he'll probably work something out and get the burden of the contract off of his shoulders, which will amost certainly help his stats. Whether or not you can wait that long depends on the direness of your situation, and how much time you can spare being patient. If you need to make a drastic change in order to have a shot this year then do so, however if your are sitting compfortabley in your standings and you can spare a few so-so weeks (maybe even a month or two) from Edgar, then it might be worth it in the long haul. I hope this helps.

-Shoeless Joe Jackson
CrazyPooja90
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby LBJackal » Mon Jun 07, 2004 4:59 pm

I'd wait it out, but it's definately not a sure thing that he'll rebound. He was a risk for this season, where he could be the #1 SS, or he could do what he's doing now. And I think we know which route he took. You can blame it on a contract, slump, etc, but I doubt he'll get back to the way he played last year. Although, it would be nice. He's not this bad either, and should end the year with a pretty good average, lots of runs, and a fair amount of SB's.

I wouldn't make any drastic moves right now, such as dumping him if you think he sucks, or trading more than you should for him if you think he's much better than this.

"Jack, will you call me, if you're able?"

"I've got your phone number written, in the back of my Bible."
LBJackal
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Pick 3 Weekly Winner

Postby titanut » Mon Jun 07, 2004 5:09 pm

I've seen him play a few times, he's hitting line drives right to
the fielders. He's starting stealing again, imo, he'll get hot shortly
and we'll all be glad we kept him. No way you get value for him
now