MLB Draft on now - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

MLB Draft on now

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby DK » Mon Jun 07, 2004 5:47 pm

If I had the first pick I would have selected Niemann, surgery and all. He reminds me a lot of Randy Johnson- Big, scary guy with a huge fastball.

Humber is probably a safer pick, though.
DK
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby KPucks » Mon Jun 07, 2004 5:57 pm

DK wrote:If I had the first pick I would have selected Niemann, surgery and all. He reminds me a lot of Randy Johnson- Big, scary guy with a huge fastball.

Humber is probably a safer pick, though.

I agree. Niemann was something like 17-0 in 2003 with a real high total of K's. He had surgery, but he has started to make starts and would be able to get back in the swing of things in low A ball. In the end, I think he will be the top pitcher of this draft.
KPucks
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Pick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 Survivor

Postby hybrid » Mon Jun 07, 2004 6:11 pm

Thank the lord! The DRays did the logical thing and drafted a college pitcher but w/ upside! I'm on cloud 9, thank god we didn't draft Nelson. Though I think he is solid, we defiantly needed some top pitching prospects.

I'd like to thank a few people:
1. Thanks Padres for being cheap and taking Bush.
2. Thank you Niemann for being hurt some this year so your stock wouldn't go even higher.
3. Thank you Mets for going w/ the safer pick in Humber.
4. Last but not least thank you DRays for sucking so we could get the 4th spot. We better start winning soon though w/ all these prospects.

Wow, I just noticed me and DK agree on something again. The sky must be seriously about to fall.
hybrid
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy Expert

Postby hybrid » Mon Jun 07, 2004 6:23 pm

Nomar4prez wrote:#5 Mark Rogers- Look for this kid in the future. Scouting report said he was best HS prospect in his 15 years of scouting!! 8-o

Actually most only see him as a #2 or #3 projected starter. Homer Bailey was the consensus top H.S. pitcher in the draft. Prolly wasn't taken ahead of Rogers due to the Brewers thinking they could sign Rogers for less. Still a great prospect , but in my opinion and most others Bailey is the cream of the crop as far as H.S. goes.
hybrid
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy Expert

Postby donut » Mon Jun 07, 2004 6:50 pm

with the angles getting weaver 12th, do you think he'll still get that 8 figure contract? couldn't the angles play hardball with him and make him sign for less considering he got drafted so low? if weaver doesn't sign with the angels his only option is to play in those independent league, right? weaver doesn't want to end up being the next...what was the pitcher's name that didn't sign..stunk it up in the independent leagues...got hurt...stunk it up some more...and is now suing his agent for bad advice...i want to say harrington but i'm not sure.
donut Beginner
College Coach
College Coach

Postby hybrid » Mon Jun 07, 2004 6:59 pm

I don't think Weaver will sign for less money just cause he was picked 12th. His agent is Boras after all and will get him every penny he can. Angels haven't been shy on spending money this year and I don't think it is likely to stop now. Also pretty sure the guy you are referring to is Matt Harrington.
hybrid
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy Expert

Postby KPucks » Mon Jun 07, 2004 7:21 pm

donut wrote:with the angles getting weaver 12th, do you think he'll still get that 8 figure contract? couldn't the angles play hardball with him and make him sign for less considering he got drafted so low? if weaver doesn't sign with the angels his only option is to play in those independent league, right? weaver doesn't want to end up being the next...what was the pitcher's name that didn't sign..stunk it up in the independent leagues...got hurt...stunk it up some more...and is now suing his agent for bad advice...i want to say harrington but i'm not sure.

He'll get what he wants. A lot of players fell in the past b/c of signing demands to teams that can afford them. The players get paid by those teams that can afford them.
KPucks
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Pick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 Survivor

Postby Longhorns76 » Mon Jun 07, 2004 7:38 pm

I wish all the GM's would get together and blackball any player that Scott Boras represents. Weaver does not deserve Prior money and is not the next RJ or anything. If he becomes average SP then he should be happy because at least he will be better than his brother.
"Relievers are like volatile stocks. They're the one asset you need to watch closely, and trade for quick profits." --Billy Beane
Longhorns76
College Coach
College Coach

Postby donut » Mon Jun 07, 2004 7:42 pm

Longhorns76 wrote:I wish all the GM's would get together and blackball any player that Scott Boras represents. Weaver does not deserve Prior money and is not the next RJ or anything. If he becomes average SP then he should be happy because at least he will be better than his brother.

i second that. baseball drafts are a crap shoot compared to other professional drafts. ie: football and basketball...can't say hockey, don't know crap about the sport.
donut Beginner
College Coach
College Coach

Postby Nomar4prez » Mon Jun 07, 2004 9:37 pm

# 447 - MICHAEL MACDONALD- U MAINE- RHP- R/R- 6'1" -185 1981-10-29 - 4YR

Future Cy Young ;-D . I'm not just saying that b/c he's from my home town..... }:-)
[url]http://www.baseballamerica.com/today/stats/player.php?id=453973[/url]
Going to huge someday.
Nomar4prez
General Manager
General Manager

Previous

Return to Baseball Leftovers