Collecting cards - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Cards and Memorabilia

Collecting cards

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Collecting cards

Postby eftda » Mon Jun 07, 2004 11:25 am

I use to collect cards (I have about 10,000) and for some reason I stopped about 4 years ago but I always loved opening that pack and taking the huge wiff of fresh cards... anyways I was wondering who here collects cards and why they collect.
eftda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Arlo » Mon Jun 07, 2004 2:24 pm

Why? Hmm ... good question.

Probably the sense of nostalgia more than anything else. :-)
Arlo
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Madison » Mon Jun 07, 2004 4:43 pm

Why is a good question. I guess because when I started, card packs were fairly cheap and I could buy packs with my weekly allowance my folks gave me. I've always been a big baseball fan and I guess owning part of the game was what made it special. Collecting the entire set pack by pack was fun too. Trying to find the last couple of cards or using your duplicates to trade for those final few cards to complete a set was always fun. Sitting back looking at the entire set that I put together was always special to me. Also, as companies started using insert sets, by collecting pack by pack, I always ended up with a few insert cards that could be traded or kept depending on who and what they were.

As to what I used to collect, I've got just about every Ivan "Pudge" Rodriguez card made from his minor league cards through 1997. I'm missing a few commons here and there and a couple of the higher dollar cards, but it's maybe 20 cards total that I'm missing between those years. I've got over 1000 different Pudge cards and around 2500 of them total. Needless to say that he was and is my favorite player out there. I loved seeing him get a World Series ring last year and it's nice to see him doing well again this year. :-)
Yes doctor, I am sick.
Sick of those who are spineless.
Sick of those who feel self-entitled.
Sick of those who are hypocrites.
Yes doctor, an army is forming.
Yes doctor, there will be a war.
Yes doctor, there will be blood.....
Madison
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

ExecutiveEditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 1)

Postby stomperrob » Fri Jun 25, 2004 6:07 pm

I first started collecting when I was a kid and I never got over the thrill of opening the pack and looking for the valuable cards (or as a kid, looking for your favorite players). I had a bunch of cards, my favorite one were my Civil War cards. When I got married, I just left them at my parents' home - a few years later when they were selling the house, I went over there to grab a few things before they got chucked or put in the garage sale and wouldn't ya know it - my mom had already chucked all the cards. My cards probably weren't all that valuable, but I also had my older brother's cards and he had some good ones, including a Mickey Mantle rookie card and numerous other cards from that era. Also had those small NHL cards from the early 50's. I did replace my Civil War cards from e-bay a couple years 'cause I really loved them and they did bring back memories - I never forgot those graphic pictures of the war with all the blood and gore.
Several years my nephew was into cards and I got back into it for a while. Still have my cards but don't buy much anymore.
Still holds the MLB record for Grand Slams with 23
stomperrob
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Football ModPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 Survivor
Home Cafe: Football

Postby Tavish » Fri Jun 25, 2004 7:08 pm

I used to collect them for the bubble gum. My mom bought me a pack when I was about 9 ( mid-80's) that was about 10 years old. Needless to say I didn't eat too much baseball card bubble gum after that. %-6 I lost interest in the early 90's when cards were too expensive for the amount of enjoyment I got.

Bury me a Royal.
Tavish
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterWeb Supporter
(Past Year: 25)

Postby CrazyPooja90 » Thu Jul 15, 2004 11:12 pm

I always loved the trading I used to do with my friends. Occasionally, on a very special night, I would talk my ass off selling a card, and come away with a steal.

good times
"I'm going to meet the greatest umpire of all, and he knows I'm innocent."

-Shoeless Joe Jackson
CrazyPooja90
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby eftda » Wed Jul 21, 2004 11:55 pm

CrazyPooja90 wrote:I always loved the trading I used to do with my friends. Occasionally, on a very special night, I would talk my ass off selling a card, and come away with a steal.

good times

lol, you were playing Fantasy Baseball and you didn't even know it.
eftda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Arlo » Fri Aug 06, 2004 7:28 am

eftda wrote:
CrazyPooja90 wrote:I always loved the trading I used to do with my friends. Occasionally, on a very special night, I would talk my ass off selling a card, and come away with a steal.

good times

lol, you were playing Fantasy Baseball and you didn't even know it.

Interesting comparison! :-D
Arlo
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Return to Baseball Cards and Memorabilia